SAU Community

List of common Illegal Mods

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it has most likely been covered elsewhere, but if your car is running illegal mods and you have an accident, is your insurance (compo or 3rd party) made void?

what if you list all your mods with the insurance company and they say its fine? because iv heard of people having insurance with Just Car insurance, and they listed all their mods and their fine, like BOV ect. I think just cars are the way to go if your young import driver.

Just Cars are probably the best for highly modified cars, the excesses are the only thing that makes claims expensive. However, they state on the policy that all modifications must be legal and road worthy. So an illegal mod or one that you dont have a permit for could give them grounds to refuse insurance, then you get into the whole legal battle of proving the illegal modification didn't cause the accident.

Can someone tell me if underglow is illegal? I'm interested to know since I might be installing some soonish.

AFAIK in WA as long as they are not on while the car is moving then they are fine.

In QLD they can't be YELLOW, RED, BLUE or WHITE, or flash. can't see the bulbs and can't be DAZZLING to other motorists.

Main roads has made up a info sheet all about them, just go and ask them for one. Your rules down south are probably different.

BTW. Having the front number plate to the side is perfectly LEGAL aslong as it is viewable from 20m in front, and 45 degree angle.

haha good call kamikaze, thanks for url karina

anyway

boost controller is illegal as it adjust your factory engine emissions, more boost = more air = more oil / fuel / other volumetric crap changes from the factory "emissions"

in vic its only 1 air intake mod, pod or aftermarket front mount intercooler. unsure if factory still counts as one, i think it does.

shit like guages are allowed because according to ADR if mounted on the a pillar its in driver collision area. that is if you have a head on your likely to mash your head forward and bust your forhead open on the nice HKS boost guage you have etc.. if its monuted say in the console or near ash tray then i guess its fine

gear knob is ok but it has to have the 1-2-3-4-5-6 H pattern sticker on it to show "someone" else who may drive the car where 1st 2nd 3rd is etc...

pedals i guess would need to meet adr (australia design regulations) same with aerokits and big **** ass wings, they need to meet ADRS to be allowed and ticked off as Okay

turbo timer is illegal because your engine must NOT run once the key has been removed for safety resons. no other accessories other than radio and harard and horn i think should work when key has been removed for safety reasons. ie your windows must not go up and down when key is taken out, things like auto arming alarms that do turrbo timer function and wind up windows automatically is technicallly illegal as your engine and windows work when key has been removed

window tint is allowed only upto a certain darkness (in japan they had mirror tint!!!) -> cool effect hey : )

pod is illegal (well oiled one) because it affects your emissions with a normal air filter it just sucks in air, with an oiled pod (most are i think) it sucks in air + random oil from the pod. its not illegal for the noise, for the emissions. i think it comes into play becuase the bov can trumpet the air out into the atmosphere, whereas on an NA car it still goes out via the cat converter before it gets to atmosphere, could just be a technicality

there are other ifs and ums, things like the power to weight ratio (for p platers only)

which i believe is you must not drive any vehicle that exceeds X torque/killowats/power per 1000 kilos or whatever the scale is

so if you are driving a skyline 1995 GTST on your p plates and you get pulled over and they go power to weight violation you can ask for them to prove it

to prove it they must

a) weigh your car - easily done

B) measure engine output (not including drive train) - aka take the engine out on a hoist and dyno the engine, as if they are gonna do that

but then you can also argue that your rb series 2.5 litre twin cam turbocharged engine has 115,000 kms on it therefore its 35% worn and therefore its voluemertic capacity is only 70% of its factory output therefore its not 187kw at the flywheel its more like 160kw which would put you and your car under the power to weight rule. you could also say you have a special restrictive air filter that only allows the engine to suck 80% of its capacitiy there power is less - $x of 80% and so on

lots of ifs and ums, of course most of this is off the top of my head so i could be completely wrong in some areas, sorry if i am

oh and i just found (which is cooll and i didnt know)

15. EXTERNAL GAUGES

Gauges may be mounted externally forward of the windscreen in a position visible to the driver provided they meet the following requirements which are effectively the same as the bonnet scoop and protrusion requirements:

o The gauges and any attaching brackets or covers must be of a smooth construction with the edges suitably radiused so that they are not likely to increase the risk of injury to a person;

o The surface of any part of the gauge or cover visible to the driver must not be more reflective than the general bodywork of the vehicle;

o If the gauges have instrument lighting then the intensity of the light must not be greater than that of the interior instrument panel;

o The gauges or covers must not prevent the driver from having a clear uninterrupted view through the full width of the windscreen of all parts of the road surface 11 metres forward of the steering wheel viewed from any driving position permitted by the range of adjustment of the driver's seat.

o If the gauges or mounting brackets have sharp edges or are constructed in such a way that the likelihood of injury to any person is increased then they must be covered by a faring which presents a smooth surface when viewed from the front and side of the vehicle.

It is recommended that pressure gauges are of a type that are electrically controlled, however if pressure lines are required to operate the gauges then the lines must be suitable for the pressures and temperatures involved, braided type lines are preferred. The lines must be appropriately supported and routed so that they are not likely to fail or be damaged during normal use.

Probationary driver licence holders must not drive high powered vehicles. A high powered vehicle is any vehicle with a power to weight ratio over 125 kw per tonne, or with an engine capacity to weight ratio over 3.5 litres per tonne.

Capacity to weight ratio is the capacity in litres divided by the weight in tonnes. Power to weight ratio is the power in kw divided by the weight in tonnes. In doing calculations, weight is specified in tonnes (1000kg = 1 tonne); capacity is specified in litres (1000ml = 1 litre); power is specified in kilowatts (kw) and is as measured at the engine flywheel.

The weight of a vehicle is the unladen mass specified by the manufacturer for the stock-standard vehicle (without options). Since 1988, this weight is specified on vehicle data sheets, as published by the Commonwealth Department of Transport and Regional Services. Vehicle manufacturers provide the information used to prepare the data sheets.

The file attached below contains a guide to vehicles that are classed as high powered motor vehicles. The Guide only covers standard vehicles that have been made in Australia, or imported in bulk, since 1970. It does not include all high powered motor vehicles. If you are concerned that a model not included may be a high powered motor vehicle, then you may be able to get engine power and vehicle weight information from the manufacturer.

If your car is modified, you may also need to obtain an engineer's certificate and do your own calculations. You are also required to notify VicRoads of any significant modification. Penalties for not doing so are severe.

If you are a probationary licence holder, it is your responsibility to make sure any vehicle that you drive is not a high powered motor vehicle. The penalties for driving a high powered motor vehicle include a heavy fine, and may result in licence suspension.

Power to weight ratio is the power in kw divided by the weight in tonnes. In doing calculations, weight is specified in tonnes (1000kg = 1 tonne); capacity is specified in litres (1000ml = 1 litre); power is specified in kilowatts (kw) and is as measured at the engine flywheel.

ok so based on factory specs of my car

February 1997 to 1998 > GTS25t type M active LSD specification

Engine Code RB25DET

Engine Type Water cooled Inline 6 cylinder DOHC 24 valve IC turbo

Engine Size 2.5 litres (2498 cc)

Max power 184kW @ 6400rpm

Max torque 294Nm @ 4800rpm

Forced Induction IC equipped turbo

Weight 1400kg

So:

184 / 1.4 = 131.42857142857142857142857142857

So yes according to factory specs my car would exceed power to weight rule.

But you could simply argue your engine is not brand new therefore those figures do not apply

Engine Code RB20DET

Engine Type Inline 6 cylinder DOHC 24 valve IC turbo

Engine Size 2.0 litres (1998 cc)

Max power 158kW @ 6400rpm

Max torque 265Nm @ 3200rpm

Forced Induction IC equipped turbo

Weight 1320kg

So:

158 / 1.32 = 119.69696969696969696969696969697

So yes according to factory specs you can drive an r32 GTS-t Type M on your p plates.

But the same applies, the cops or dudes who check your car could argue that your pod filter allows 15% more air suction and capacity than the factory specs so therefore

158 / 1.32 = 119.69696969696969696969696969697 + 17.9 (<--- pod filter % increase) = 136

so therefore it is then over the power to weight, of course they have to be able to prove it and of course you need to have a pod filter that would make a 15% increase, which it most likely wont

i'd like to see a pod filter that gives you a 17.9 kw gain! i'll buy one straight away. Firstly, they won't make a 15% improvement in airflow and secondly, a 15% improvement does not mean 15% of the power output of the engine.

i know it wont add 17kw, i was using the figures as an easy and bad example.

of course 15% more airflow wont give 15% more power, was just using it as easy comparison and figures. as if a pod filter would give that much more increase

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

As long as your vehicle runs the engine that it came out with, and its pwr to weight is p plate legal, according to OM specs, you can install all legal modifications and have "300kw at treads"(unlikley on legal modifications) and drive it on your p's

• 1 year later...

Depending on who you're with I believe normally they just won't fix those items, they won't be covered by the insurance and they may reduce the amount of compensation but I can't imagine they would void the insurance.

They don't usually seem to have a problem with mods as long as you let them know of mods you make and their value so they may accordingly adjust your premium :)

Edited by Froozog

EPAvic.jpg

some victorian law.. :(

piggyback ECUs are referring to stuff like SAFC .. things which handle stuff your ECU normally handles.

also pod filters have to be boxed on most vehicles in most (or all?) states.. but you probably already knew that

Edited by hobbsy