SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

12 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Can you overlay his/your data with the Garmin to see where you are losing time?

Watching both videos, at least T2 and T3, his mate drives a different line on T2.

Added to this, at the apex he's about 5kmh slower than Dose is. By being slower, it gives him the ability to get on the throttle sooner, so by corner exit, he's already faster speed wise than Dose is. This equates to being quite a bit faster at the braking marker of the next turn.

It also sounds like he's giving smoother and more subtle inputs on the steering wheel. T2 sounded like it was a huge rip in on the wheel, and then some wood saw action to regain front end traction.

I'd recommend adding a GoPro setup to film your steering wheel work, and one down to film your pedals if you really want to start to analyse and improve your track driving.

Edited by MBS206
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

They're different 

I meant this in regards to the track surface..... SMSP looks to be an absolute dream track, especially considering some others out there!

Laptime is all using as much of the track as possible, and slow in/fast out, and being on the limit of grip through all sections of the corner.

There's sections in your videos where you're faster as well, Dose.

And it's MUCH easier said than done! I am slow as shit but I know why! :D and sometimes shake my head and say "no, I'm not prepared to do that" due to fear, even when I can see video evidence of the car's limits being quite comfortable doing those things. I'll stick to iRacing where I am still slow as shit and very crash prone :D

Seat time and building up to it is what you do, and most importantly having fun while you're out there doing it.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2023 at 5:42 PM, Kinkstaah said:

There's sections in your videos where you're faster as well, Dose.

There's a reason for this, turns out my mate turned down the boost when he got into the car LOL.

Beauty of the canbus keypad, no mysterious rocker switches or mysterious looking buttons to decipher!

I will export the lap vs lap comparison @Murray_Calavera, been flat chat this week dealing with boomers and lazy karnt BDMs.

@niZmO_Man haha yeah, still hate it. It's only fun when it's on the track, going to and from it sucks. Driving it on the street, it sucks. Hopefully one day someone that's intelligently gifted enough (can't use retarded these days right?) swaps me for the F80 LCI M3 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

Why?

There's no reason it needs to suck on the street. What have you done here? Undo it!

It stinks, even though it has a 100 cell cat, which probably does nothing as there are no precious metals in it. Vented catch can, smells like shit when the motor warms up (which I plan to address, have 10AN Venturi which will me welded onto the exhaust to create a vacuum pump for the catch can).

Lacks all the creature comforts the VW shitbox gives me, lacks all the safety features, not enough sound deadening and gets all the wrong attention. 

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

It stinks, even though it has a 100 cell cat, which probably does nothing as there are no precious metals in it.

Are you going to change it? @The Bogan mentioned the racecraft ones at some point and it has been on my list ever since. Someone pulled up next to me at the lights once to tell me that there was something wrong with my car because it smells terrible. :/ Made me wonder whether stepping up the cat would help.

3 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

It stinks, even though it has a 100 cell cat, which probably does nothing as there are no precious metals in it. Vented catch can, smells like shit when the motor warms up (which I plan to address, have 10AN Venturi which will me welded onto the exhaust to create a vacuum pump for the catch can).

Lacks all the creature comforts the VW shitbox gives me, lacks all the safety features, not enough sound deadening and gets all the wrong attention. 

So fix fuel fumes everywhere, make sure your aircon and sound systems work, and get a comfy seat.

All for 1% of the cost of a M3 and have a funner car to drive!

• Like 1

Get some real cats

100 cell cats are "catalytic psychological" only good for a visual inspection 

200 cell minimum for exhaust fumes, 400 cell and your good to go with minimal performance loss for a registered street car

As for your PCV, your catch can/AOS should capture the bulk of it, the little bit held in the air that gets past the can would have minimal effect 

Hell, my little baffled AOS has about 50ml of blowby in it after 5k km, and the intake shows minimal signs of any oil getting past it

I assume dumping to your AOS straight to the exhaust before the cat wouldn't be the best for it

Does your AOS have any fuel foam in it?

There are simple engineering fixes to your issues I believe, both for comfort (AC and some sound/noise deading) for and emissions (well engineered PCV and real cats)

I does sound like your over it though, so make it pretty, delete its internet history, and flip it for drug money

Then buy your comfortable performance Euro of choice and see if that makes you happy

For a old white guy, I don't miss my R33 boat at all, but then, I eventually went full old white guy Bogan spec, that I do enjoy 100x more than the R33 boat

In the end you need what rings your bell and can enjoy by just looking at it

In the end if you flip your Skyline and end up not liking what you got, you can always flip the Euro and start again

That does get expensive and angry looks from your Minister of war and finances 

Have you thought about a comfortable old classic something that is a cool cruiser you can put the family in and just do cruises, cars and coffee or weekend trips away with the family

Good luck mate, picking cool cars is hard

• Like 2

Has anyone seen dyno runs back to back while cats were swapped to see their impact? I would strongly consider putting in a better cat (I'm using 100 cell too) if I could be sure it wasn't having a large impact on performance. 

Side note, @Dose Pipe Sutututu what are your thoughts on building a 1 series 135i? The entry price seems pretty reasonable for the earlier models and look like a pretty good base to start working from. (But then again I don't know anything about BWM's and I'm basing this off looking at a spec sheet and car sales prices lol)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Has anyone seen dyno runs back to back while cats were swapped to see their impact? I would strongly consider putting in a better cat (I'm using 100 cell too) if I could be sure it wasn't having a large impact on performance.

I then also wonder is how it's handled in modern performance cars. Because surely they have to conform to all the current emissions rules.

1 hour ago, soviet_merlin said:

I then also wonder is how it's handled in modern performance cars. Because surely they have to conform to all the current emissions rules.

That is a good point. 

The closest thing I can think of is this episode of Might Car Mods, where they made 425KW with the exhaust valve closed, then opened the valve and made the same 425KW. (around 19 min into the video). 

I would think having the exhaust valve closed would be more restrictive then say going from 100 to 300 cell cat? But yeah I'm still guessing.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 12:07 PM, Murray_Calavera said:

Side note, @Dose Pipe Sutututu what are your thoughts on building a 1 series 135i? The entry price seems pretty reasonable for the earlier models and look like a pretty good base to start working from. (But then again I don't know anything about BWM's and I'm basing this off looking at a spec sheet and car sales prices lol)

I have when I was getting my car tuned. I have cutout pipes but my setup is not everyone's setup. I.e I have a lot less restriction being a N/A V8 with twin 3nch exhausts into a 3.5 with no turbos sitting in the way in the headers....

I lost no power and the AFR's did not change. This is swapping two 400 cell cats out (one each bank) with a straight pipe. Said pipes sit in a box now probably forever.

• Like 4

On 28/07/2023 at 11:40 PM, Kinkstaah said:

Why?

There's no reason it needs to suck on the street. What have you done here? Undo it!

I'm in the same boat, although much smaller budget.

In pursuit for better lap times, I've changed to stiffer coilovers and more aggressive wheel alignment. Makes driving around Sydney shit but handled decently around Eastern Creek (albeit with flogged out bushes).

Some days I feel like thrown the Ohlins back on and making it a (somewhat) street friendly car again.

On 29/07/2023 at 9:51 AM, Kinkstaah said:

So fix fuel fumes everywhere, make sure your aircon and sound systems work, and get a comfy seat.

Fuel system is great, although I've delete the charcoal canister, there's still a low pressure check valve that keeps the tank pressurised until it hits 0.2 bar and bleeds.

Aircon works, bought a brand new condenser when the motor went in. Sound system is moderately ok, will install a new headunit to support Android audio at some stage. Seat, well I need a seat that supports a 6 point harness, so the Bride Zeta III Plus (over sized Asian) is there. It's actually pretty comfortable believe it or not.

On 29/07/2023 at 11:56 AM, The Bogan said:

my little baffled AOS has about 50ml of blowby in it after 5k km, and the intake shows minimal signs of any oil getting past it

LOL... put 2bar of boost into any RB and watch the blow by, there's a reason why most RBs have like 5~10L catch cans lol.

Meanwhile our 2JZ buddies will have 700kW and use a $30 eBay catch can and it's fine.

Does your AOS have any fuel foam in it?

No, however with fuel foam or not it will still smell. Only way to combat this is to plumb it back into some vacuum source (I don't want to use the intake, so exhaust venturi it is)

does sound like your over it though, so make it pretty, delete its internet history, and flip it for drug money

Then buy your comfortable performance Euro of choice and see if that makes you happy

For a old white guy, I don't miss my R33 boat at all, but then, I eventually went full old white guy Bogan spec, that I do enjoy 100x more than the R33 boat

You've summed it up well, I "could" fix/bandaid/improve the issues OR just thrash it on the track then sell it after I'm super over it.

"I eventually went full old white guy Bogan spec, that I do enjoy 100x more than the R33 boat" this resonates with me, minus the bogan car part.

On 29/07/2023 at 12:07 PM, Murray_Calavera said:

what are your thoughts on building a 1 series 135i? The entry price seems pretty reasonable for the earlier models and look like a pretty good base to start working from. (But then again I don't know anything about BWM's and I'm basing this off looking at a spec sheet and car sales prices lol)

If it's a manual 135i then it's ok, however the N54 motor had a shitty VANOS system that would fail. Think of a SR20 VCT failing, however with a 135i you also get CELs - if you can flash it to just disable it, then send it and it's ok. Another this is the wastegate actuators, they seem to get loose and rattle - however not an issue for us Nissan guys but the end of the world for BMW owners. Slap on a LSD, some decent suspension and it's not too bad!

On 30/07/2023 at 7:56 AM, soviet_merlin said:

They have a couple of cats and most don't make 430kW+ at the wheels. I'm thinking of perhaps running a pair of Golf R MK7 cats in parallel, would be an interesting (and expensive) exercise.

Also, turns out I can't export overlay videos of the sessions. You only get segment by segment guides, however no export.

I just re-iterate that you need to think about what you dislike, granular and determine what you would like in a BMW, in a granular sense. This usually results in people finding out what they really want/care about. You might find out you're one of those guys who wants to drive a luxury badge because you believe it says you've established yourself as an adult. You may realize that that is a non-tangible imaginary thing when you realise you don't respect other people more if they drive a BMW instead of a Kia.

You may find that you do, which opens many more questions to yourself.

In your post above, you haven't articulated any reason why the car "Sucks on the street" by the way. Other than a charcoal canister that you could.. fix. You even said Aircon works and the car is comfortable, makes a shit ton of power and is fun on the track, and you know its problems (which every car has) inside and out.

My brother wanted a Maserati. He has a Kia and a Honda now. He is far happier, a changed man. You probably had the same visceral reaction to "Maserati" that I did. Your BMW scenario is potentially not too different!

It does make sense to build a car the way you spend your time with it. Pretty SAU 101 :D