SAU Community

Wheel alignment

Wheel alignment

I've searched and found some info but nothing overly comprehensive. 

I have attached the specs for alignment for a v36 coupe from the service manual of a G37 (assume they are the same). I've got an SP coupe  but assume it doesn't matter if it's a sport or not.

From my understanding caster is adjustable front and rear. Alignment same. But camber is only adjustable in the rear which is only minor adjustments. No camber  adjustment in the front on stock suspension.

Getting it done on the weekend (along with sway bars) so hoping this is all correct.

Screenshot_20170216-112341.png

I'm going to aim for nominal. I understand more negative should improve cornering (within limits) but wear tyres out. 

Caster will change how much it wants to drive straight or corner. At the moment it's too sensitive to turning, especially on high speed corners.

If you're in Sydney, there's a guy I go to in Granville (Pedders) who knows his cars very well and always performs excellent alignments on my vehicles.

I'd suggest you take your car to him and tell him what you want to achieve. What he says is gospel, in my opinion.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, V35_Paul said:

are you planning to dive on the track?

or is this just everyday driving?

It's a daily that will eventually hit the track for the odd weekend. Was planning a track s15 but decided to buy this as a great daily instead with the odd track day. But mostly daily.

27 minutes ago, The Max said:

If you're in Sydney, there's a guy I go to in Granville (Pedders) who knows his cars very well and always performs excellent alignments on my vehicles.

I'd suggest you take your car to him and tell him what you want to achieve. What he says is gospel, in my opinion.

Yes I am in Sydney. I have it booked in for the sway bars (whiteline - see other thread) and full allignment at Blairs Tyres in Narellan. I have had great experience there previously on my S15. I went ot Pedders in Campbelltown and they offered great service (suspension sqeak unsolved because it was wet but they didn't charge me) but they quoted like 5 hour labour + full price for the sway bar... So decided to go where I knew. I'll give your suggestion some thought though as I know how much a bad alignment can change handling as I had this on the s15 with Bob Jane.

There's a big difference between tyre shops and suspension shops when it comes to wheel alignments. I wouldn't waste my time (and money) on any of those idiots.

That said, no one Pedders is the same as another either. That's why without knowing the folks at Campbelltown, the only Pedders I go to is in Granville and wherever he goes, I'll follow, because it's not about the shop/chain. It's about the one dude with the knowledge that I'm referring to and where he just happens to be.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, The Max said:

There's a big difference between tyre shops and suspension shops when it comes to wheel alignments. I wouldn't waste my time (and money) on any of those idiots.

That said, no one Pedders is the same as another either. That's why without knowing the folks at Campbelltown, the only Pedders I go to is in Granville and wherever he goes, I'll follow, because it's not about the shop/chain. It's about the one dude with the knowledge that I'm referring to and where he just happens to be.

I hear you. Thanks for the suggestion.

6 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I know it wasn't your initial question but let me chime in all the same. Get yourself a set of adjustable rear camber and toe arms mate, your car will love it!

So I'm assuming you're saying the v36 likes more rear camber? 

13 hours ago, Pete_Repeat said:

So I'm assuming you're saying the v36 likes more rear camber? 

Sorry mate, should have been more in depth. The amount of camber and toe adjustment is so minimal that (especially if a car is lowered) optimum wheel alignment specs can't be achieved with the factory adjustments. If the car is even slightly lowered it will have way too much negative camber in the rear and god knows what toe settings.

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Sorry mate, should have been more in depth. The amount of camber and toe adjustment is so minimal that (especially if a car is lowered) optimum wheel alignment specs can't be achieved with the factory adjustments. If the car is even slightly lowered it will have way too much negative camber in the rear and god knows what toe settings.

Ahh makes sense. No plans to lower my car at this stage. If I do change I will factor those bits on aswell though.

• 5 months later...

Well finally getting my wheel alignment done (did the sway bars myself) with the new tyres on the weekend. 

If anyone has any feedback on their wheel alignment on the v36 then feel free to chime in. 

I've got the SP coupe. All suspension standard except for the whiteline sway bars.

Edited by Pete_Repeat