SAU Community

RB26 single turbo sound

RB26 single turbo sound

Hello,

I was wondering what is the problem that the sound of my r33 GTR after converting from stock twin turbo to single turbo has changed drastically. I used to run a stock ECU and stock Garrett turbos before. Now i have an ECU Link G4+ and Single turbo Borg Warner EFR 7064 T4 A/R 1.05 Twin scroll.

The sound of the stock Rb26 with stock twin turbos is totally different and i have tested on the same muffler. What i mean by different is that now my car sounds much softer than it used to sound on twin turbos. I dont know if the problem is with the convertion from twin turbo and single turbo but i prefered the sound of stock twin turbos. It used to be much deeper and heavier and cooler on acceleration. I dont know if only me have that problem or maybe this is something with the maps in my new ECU Link G4+. ? What do you think about it?

I am considering to go back to twin turbos someday to see the difference. Or this is just the single turbo sound? Maybe i get better sound when i put back the Garrett single turbo, what do you think about this? Can i get a different sound with different turbo manufacturer? Is it worth the changing? What turbo can you reccoment in this case....?

This thread would make more sense in this forum: https://www.sau.com.au/forums/forum/8-forced-induction-performance/

Single turbos sound different to twins.  Even single scroll versus twin scroll sound different, and then even between THOSE a lot comes down to the exhaust manifold design.  It won't be so much to do with the brand of turbo, and a lot comes down to individual taste.  Some like the smooth refined sound which result from equal length manifolds, some like they rougher/grumpier note of uneven length runners.  What "sounds better" is very subjective, so really it's hard to know what to suggest as we don't know what you like or what yours sounds like.  I've not heard a single turbo setup which is working right which I don't like more than twins.

How do you find the 7064 on the RB26?  I'd imagine it'd be pretty responsive

• Like 1

Very odd. 

Keep in mind that turbos act as mufflers themselves so changing manifolds and turbos will have an impact on sound. 

The easiest fix would just be to remove the mid muffler or change one or both mufflers (I'm assuming it has 2 because it wouldn't be quite with 1). 

Do not change your turbo setup to chase a sound, the car should be awesome with a responsive 7064. Is it externally or internally gated?

What exhaust is on it currently?

Regarding my Turbo is not that responsive yet because my maps are not good, i am planning to hit next tuner in two weeks so i let you know. This guy is one of the top drifters and he already lost his teeth on RB26 engines so will see what he can do. 

Check out this two videos so you know what i am talking about. I used to have that howling sound in middle and high rpms on stock twin turbos from first video. The second video is my car acceleration, with my smartphone xperia but i guess the recording device does not have anything to do with that. That magic sound is just gone in my r33 GTR after convertion to Single. What i mean is that the sound is basicly flat from low rpms to hight rpms, its not increasing dractically but just a little bit.  

This sound ot stock GTR always used to remaind me the sound of the a cow graze on a pasture, it sounds like  muuuuuuuuuuu and i am missing that a lot LOL. 

I dont think this was because of the muffler cus i have the same all the time. HKS dragster and other one i used is HKS silencer hi power with middle muffler also then and now.

So i think the biggest impact on that sound must have a manifold design. What other good sounding manifold can you recommend for better turbo response and better sound ?. The problem with my manifold is that its not dedicated to r33 GTR but just a random tuning company has produce this to me. I have a picture of this manifold also so you can see yourself. 

I just want to have that big fat cow back in my car (howling sound),  i dont care how loud is the exhaust or to have 10 screamers pipes all around the car. I bet that this sound was coming from the engine bay not from the end exhaust system. Is that possible?

Just watch both videos so you understand. 

6boost or sinco custom for a good screaming RB but it won't have the sound on the twin turbo either way. The only way to have the same sound with the twin turbo is keeping it that way.