SAU Community

The E-Charger. What do you think?

PranK

• 2 weeks later...

Basically it drives the car by turning the crank. Needs room for the unit, and room for the drive belts.

How much does it cost? Would like to see dyno figures to see just how much extra power it generates!

On 11/5/2017 at 12:21 PM, tridentt150v said:

$3 for a gallon of gas????? I know US gallons are smaller but jeez!!!!!

cf petrol in NZ about NZ$8 per US gallon!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Yeah, it's not going to fit into any car made since the 90s really - except F trucks and the like.  There's not enough room in the engine bay for something that chunky, and typical FWD chassis are only worse.  Think about trying to put a big 3-4" supercharger pulley on the front end of a FWD engine in the 3mm gap between the existing one and the chassis rail.

The reality is that this is a very niche product.  For that market, it's great.  For the general market, not so much.  There's a reason why real hybrids either sandwich the e-motor between the engine and transmission or go the whole hog and use wheel motors.  Packaging.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Yeah, it's not going to fit into any car made since the 90s really - except F trucks and the like.  There's not enough room in the engine bay for something that chunky, and typical FWD chassis are only worse.  Think about trying to put a big 3-4" supercharger pulley on the front end of a FWD engine in the 3mm gap between the existing one and the chassis rail.

The reality is that this is a very niche product.  For that market, it's great.  For the general market, not so much.  There's a reason why real hybrids either sandwich the e-motor between the engine and transmission or go the whole hog and use wheel motors.  Packaging.

Sounds like you have experience with trying to install a supercharger kit. Its hard enough to fit your arm into a skyline engine bay to change an oil filter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackgtr said:

Sounds like you have experience with trying to install a supercharger kit. Its hard enough to fit your arm into a skyline engine bay to change an oil filter.

Yes, but not in the way that you might think.  Superchargers into old Celicas and stuff, yes.  I have never (and will never) attempt to improve a FWD shitter.  Been in too many fast Cordias back in the day to want to relive those nightmares.

1 minute ago, GTSBoy said:

Yes, but not in the way that you might think.  Superchargers into old Celicas and stuff, yes.  I have never (and will never) attempt to improve a FWD shitter.  Been in too many fast Cordias back in the day to want to relive those nightmares.

Hehe, i actually have a penchant for eg civics but will never work one one or build one. 

Ive never driven, nor know much about cordias but ill check them out on youtube.

Cheers mate.

Interesting.. Less fuel and provide more power as the normal gasoline engine. The question i have in my does it will take longer as the normal engine? meaning the life of this echarger in terms of cost wisely in long run and can we still have the option to use the normal gasoline in case of out of charge while driving? Those questions i have in mind right now.