SAU Community

Starting to dream about a GTR

emptor

Gday all, a big hello from VIC!

This is not the typical intro where I already have a skyline.

I'm starting to dream about getting a GTR. It's always been the car of choice in older Gran Turismo games (Calsonic livery) and was mesmorised when it totally killed the touring car competition in the early 90s.

Not in the market (or budget) to get a R34 Nur so not top end. But I'm thinking about getting something like a R32 Vspec II. A R34 Vspec would be nice but that probably would be another $30K?

I know that prices have increased heaps especially if I'm looking for one that is under 80,000kms. And need to be on the lookout for dodgy odometer readings and rust.

I love working on cars and looking after them but have to admit also slightly intimidated adding a fourth car to a NSX, turbo forester and golf R32 (I know, imagine having two R32s...haha).

Not in a rush and may not even happen...but thought I'd share this dream...

Edited by emptor
  • Like 1

It's a nice dream, but you can probably forget about the idea of a sub 80k km car.  These are unicorns.  If you can find one it will be indecently expensive.  I have no other specific advice for you.  It's going to come down to what cars you find for sale and how much value you and the seller put on the conflicting benefits of originality vs. modifications to fix all the stock problems (oil pump drive, front suspension, ATESSA system age problems, old electrics, shitty HICAS, etc etc).

If you can find an R32GTR with fewer than 80,000km ( 4.000 annually) you will be looking at over $100,000!

A high mileage GTR is not a collectors item but a money pit and a hobby!