SAU Community

power steering tank replacement

hello everyone

R33 gtst - having an issue where I'm getting a lot of the thin oily film coming out from the top of the 20 y.o OEM p/s reservoir tank. P/s pump is also leaking so thinking it's time for an overhaul - rebuilding the p/s pump with an EOM gasket kit, and replacing the tank with one of these universal items

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Power-Steering-Tank-Universal-Aluminium-Alloy-Fluid-Reservoir-Bottle-Racing-AU/202397956275?epid=7010549309&hash=item2f1fdbb8b3:g:WuUAAOSw9KhaHjKi:rk:9:pf:0

s-l1600.jpg.05363425d6f6f832ec13217de9010bcb.jpg

Has anyone used one of these tanks before and any feedback on them? The bizz the shizz, or a load of jizz?

Also for the p/s pump rebuild; looks like there's an enclosed ballbearing race at the front of it just behind the pulley but can't find any info about this, or a bearing size/number (Nissan rebuild kit only comes with seals). Would rather buy this first and rebuild all in one go rather than pulling apart and then having to go to bearing store on the pushy. Don't suppose anyone would have the bearing part/size number handy?

thank ya

• 2 weeks later...

ok I will answer my own questions, for anyone's future reference.

The power steering pump bearing- on the s2 R33 gtst pump at least, it's a myth, like Kaiser Soze, a fairytale, a ghost story.

Or something. Anyway no bearing, the Nissan p/s rebuild kit comes with all the seals you need, BUT, no copper washers for the banjo fitting you have to remove. 

The rebuild doesn't warrant a walk-through; basically, remove pump, unbolt pieces, take photos to remember how to put them back in same order/position. 

Here is the exploded view of the pump. Relevant bits to remember

- part circled in green has a black dot on it. This side goes towards the pulley

- vanes circled in blue - rounded edges go outwards, square edges go inwards.

- spring circled in red will likely stay in the pump after you remove the valve and then try to make an escape when you're not looking, leaving you thinking ' there should probably be a spring to go in there?" . Don't fall for its tricks.

- part circled in yellow isn't accurately drawn in the diagram, it has an extension part (drawn on in purple). 

- when you're removing the pump and undoing the banjo fitting from the pump, you need to put a 27mm spanner onto the fitting circled in marooney-poo brown. Otherwise you may just exert sh&tloads of force and just end up bending the support bracket. Didn't happen to me of course, just sayin'...…. Yes. Moving on....

564696415_r33pumpa.thumb.jpg.57328cc7ab295951fd86b9a32876824e.jpg

Re the ebay power steering tank. Yes it's baffled/layered inside as pictured in the picture pictured above. I went with the one branded Epman - $55 posted, money well spent. Quite reasonably constructed and machined. The mounting brackets it came with were a bit crap, but a quick bit of fab to make a decent mounting, and all good. Has a fair bit more capacity than the standard tank, and the nipples....hehhehehe...are a fkload more solid so if you need to replace the tank then these do the job cheap.

20181219_184038.thumb.jpg.c4c2d5226a65737a1c9c045cea8e9a4e.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

update to this ...so, the tank has a thin maze-type channel across the neck at the top of the tank; the lid screws on to this and has an o-ring, that seals it...well, almost seals it. There is a tiny  approx. 1mm breather hole at the end of the maze, leads to outside of the tank...and I have had a constant issue with p/s fluid leaking everywhere slowly but surely, every time I drive.  So, have gone back to the OEM plastic tank now. 

• Like 1