SAU Community

Deleting IAC PIPING and using manifold pressure for boost controller's reference?

Hi everyone. Hope you all are doing well.

I have been working on my RB25DET for a while. It has a Freddy FFP and an TB adapter to keep the original TB.

I am now making a new intercooler piping for it to put on a larger TB and remove the adapter. It would look a little bit more legit without that adapter.

Here comes the 1st question. Can I remove the IAC PIPING?

By that I would like to know if the IAC can suck air from atmosphere directly, not from the intake piping and after the MAF? Of course I will fit on an filter if I can delete it.

I am asking because by deleting IAC PIPING can make the intercooler piping look better and make the engine bay a little more legit.

The ECU is PFC, if it matters.

The next question is about the boost reference for the boost controller.

It was from the intercooler piping, between TB and intercooler. I wonder if I can use the manifold pressure (from a nozzle on the manifold) as the boost reference provided to the boost controller and waste gate?

The boost controller is Apexi AVC-R and the waste gate is an internal one with an 1bar actuator.

Thank you all again.

17 hours ago, Michael33 said:

What is the difference between manifold pressure and piping pressure?

7 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

One of them is after the throttle. Boost controllers get plumbed in before the throttle.

I've written thousands of words on the reason on these forums before. Hooking it up to the manifold is a good way to make the turbo work way harder than it has to under part throttle operation. On some turbos, this could actually lead to overspeed failure. At least it will lead to higher EMP than is necessary.

8 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

I've written thousands of words on the reason on these forums before. Hooking it up to the manifold is a good way to make the turbo work way harder than it has to under part throttle operation. On some turbos, this could actually lead to overspeed failure. At least it will lead to higher EMP than is necessary.

Thanks. That's very helpful. I will just hook it before the throttle.

Cheers.