SAU Community

R34 GTT Sedan upgrade!!!

OVA4U

Well I thought I will start a post for my 1998 R34 sedan build. Had the car for a few years and puchased it with only 31XXXk's on the speedo but only just saved up enough to start going all out on a build. Trying to keep it looking as close to stock as possible so to keep the cops away. It is a auto but at the end of the day I drive it easy out on the roads but when I get it on track its a different story. Will eventually go a manual conversion but for now it will do.

Have purchased 

-Blitz FMIC

-xspurt 1000cc injectors

-nismo fuel pump

-nismo engine and transmission mounts

-hypergear high flowed turbo. (housing changed to a 21U from OP6)

-Blitz down pipe 

-Blitz NUR RX cat back exhaust

-HKS EVCS boost controller, boost gauge and turbo timer

-HKS super suction intake

-z32 afm

-NGK platinum injectors gapped to .8

-Tomei HICAS Electrical lock out kit

-EBC brakes (yellow on the front. red on the back)

-Toyo R888r tyres

-Nistune with flex fuel

So this is all the stuff I currently have waiting to go on the car. The boys from Mocha Crown Automotive doing most of the work except for the electrics. That will be me. The nistune and flex fuel wont be done till Trent from chequered tuning gets hold of it but thats at the end of August

It has a pretty wicked sound system. 2 Alpine V12 amps powering 4 Alpine rseries 6" splitters and a Alpine type R 10" sub woofer.

The head unit is a sony explode but doesnt matter when your running a good set of amps.

Well hopefully at the end of this should see a power output of 250-270kwrs. Will post more pics and the results of the dyno tune as well.

Till then take it easy.

20190815_121514.jpg

20190815_121529.jpg

20190815_121541.jpg

20190815_121554.jpg

20190815_121623.jpg

20190815_121637.jpg

20190815_121650.jpg

20190815_121706.jpg

050.jpg

• Like 1

yeah it is the return flow type but when I have the funds will be getting the fmic upgrade to a black one and piping with the relocation of the battery to the boot as well. I just dont want to be cutting any holes out. Going to try and find a good fabricator to do the intake pipe as well as the FMIC piping. Havoc still hasnt gotten back to me though so will try to find someone else.

As a fellow (former) R34 GTT Auto owner, you may want to consider doing that manual conversion soonner rather than later. 270kw through an untouched auto will obliterate it in short terms. Short terms may include but not be limited to:

"On the Dyno trying to tune the car at all"

It may be worth doing the manual conversion first, before any other mod, given the mod list you have planned here.

• Like 1

Damn Kinkstaah thats not what I wanted to hear especially from you. Saw your thread on sending it off to MV automatics where you got lucky and found someone who knew what they were doing. And how much it cost you in the end and thought against that approach as its 3 times the amount a M/T conversion would cost(unless you can suggest a upgrade less than 2000). The other thought was a t400 A/T and getting the adaptor plate to suit the rb engine. (still upwards of 6000). In any case if its the way the transmission wants to go in style trying to keep up with the torque then....

I salute you automatic transmission LOL. you had a short but good life ???

despicable me animation GIF

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well guys Kinkstaah was right, unfortunately the auto decided to let go during the upgrade process so manual conversion was the only choice. Decided to go the r33 s2 box just because it's younger and decided to throw a mantic twin plate in as well so when I go for more power it's all ready to handle it. The gearbox does need a rebuild as changing from 3rd to 4th, the synchro crunches so I'm guessing it had a hard life.

All up the conversion cost $6100. Would of been $1800 cheaper if I didn't get the new clutch. JMA Automotive in airport west was the guys I got to install it all and they have done an immaculate job. Thanks to Kinkstaah again for the recommendation to them they really know there know there stuff when it comes to Skylines. Here's a few photos of the conversion. Just missing steering wheel and cluster. Probably going nismo cluster and gtr steering wheel when I get the cash. 

Hope to see you guys out and about.

20191114_143051.jpg

20191114_143103.jpg

• Like 1

It is a pricy thing to do, but the truth is a good clutch is important as you use it, I dunno... about 200 times an hour when you think about it..

I paid a little less, but I supplied all of the parts to begin with. To drive in, drive out, with new bits and that it is well worth it. Sadly these days you never know with R33 GTST Gearboxes, a lot of people have started to use Z33/Z34 CD009 gearboxes or others, as these boxes often get used for drifting and the price has gone up.

However the car is going to be so much better for having a manual in it.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I just read the topic as I just got my self a 98 R34 Sedan as well. 

I also thought keeping it A/T but after reading your topic I’ll be in a hunt for a M/T swap as well.

Im glad to hear your swap went very well! 

Any advice before I began my Journey? 

Thank you! 🙏🏼

I'd guess it's tricker being in Canada. these days people snapped up the R34 GTT boxes that Nissan reproduced as they were still available new for awhile.

You may have luck with a CD009 350/370z gearbox being USA based. Surely easier* to find than a R33/R34 manual gearbox.

It'll be fine (ish) under stock power, but if you want to upgrade things its worth doing the research and collecting parts in advance. Luckily there's not a lot of smarts to contend with and your upgrade options are limited only by your budget, really.

You'd want to read up on the wiring differences between the N/A and GTT with regards to the autobox. If you can read the workshop diagram you will be okay as it's definitely been covered before. If you're going to need a shop to do it though, it may be tricker unless there happens to be a local R chassis shop in Ontario or nearby.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

I'd guess it's tricker being in Canada. these days people snapped up the R34 GTT boxes that Nissan reproduced as they were still available new for awhile.

You may have luck with a CD009 350/370z gearbox being USA based. Surely easier* to find than a R33/R34 manual gearbox.

It'll be fine (ish) under stock power, but if you want to upgrade things its worth doing the research and collecting parts in advance. Luckily there's not a lot of smarts to contend with and your upgrade options are limited only by your budget, really.

You'd want to read up on the wiring differences between the N/A and GTT with regards to the autobox. If you can read the workshop diagram you will be okay as it's definitely been covered before. If you're going to need a shop to do it though, it may be tricker unless there happens to be a local R chassis shop in Ontario or nearby.

Thank you! 🙏🏼🙂