SAU Community

Control Arm Choices for R34 GTR ?

etang789

What are some control arm choices for R34 GTR ? I have Cusco Front and Rear Adjustable Control Arms now, and the front ones are busted. I would like to use this chance to replace everything, since Im building my engine as well. I don't drag race my R34 , only occasional track days and mostly aggressive mountain runs. Seems like not every brand makes a complete kit of control arms ... so any suggestions?

I'm looking at:

1. RaceFab
  2. Ikeya Formula
  3. Nismo
  4. GKTech
  5. Voodoo13

Edited by etang789

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2019 at 3:20 PM, BK said:

The 33 and 34 GTR arms are the same, and on my 33 I have Ikeya Formula arms front and back for over 12 years. Expensive but very good.

Correction. Been That long only just realised my rear upper control arms are JIC C304780. Same thing goes though, JIC is equally as good as Ikea. Ikeya formula. Whiteline seems to have the equally good equivalent too for the rear. The front though Ikeya hands down.

image.png.6b89d24ea1717cca100e7603234d7cd6.png

Here is the Ikeya fronts I'm using:

image.png.6dbb421cb29041656d11960ca71b6332.png

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2019 at 8:49 PM, BK said:

Correction. Been That long only just realised my rear upper control arms are JIC C304780. Same thing goes though, JIC is equally as good as Ikea. Ikeya formula. Whiteline seems to have the equally good equivalent too for the rear. The front though Ikeya hands down.

image.png.6b89d24ea1717cca100e7603234d7cd6.png

Here is the Ikeya fronts I'm using:

image.png.6dbb421cb29041656d11960ca71b6332.png

Thanks for the reply. No noise?

What are the difference between the one you are using and this one?

image.png.e4ba080654d1ba7ef0625a9b876bc052.png

http://www.ikeya-f.co.jp/article/15016132.html

BK's do the adjustment with two plates that are slotted and so can slide in-out relative to each other, and use bolts through them to lock them together.

The bottom ones are the same as everybody else's. Just relies on big threaded rods and locknuts.

The bottom ones need to be adjusted carefully so that the same length change is made on both the front and rear half of the arm. The top ones are more guaranteed of correctly adjusting both halves, seeing as they are not halves! But a few people harbour worries about the types of arms that have sliding plates that lock together with through bolts as they fear they will shake loose. May or may not be founded fears.

The top ones are also spherical jointed on the upper inners and I don't think the new ones are.

Not really any noise I can detect in them but they are spherical so tightens everything right up. Regarding the top moving plates, they have a fine saw tooth design between them so they are adjusted in like 2 or 3 mm increments and lock plates together so they can't slip. The bolts would all have to substantially come loose for it to move, which has never happened in the time I've used them.

The inners pillow ball rods are also length adjustable too. I actually have Whiteline offset camber bushes in the outer too with these, so you end up getting 3 different points of camber adjustment on the front to get absolutely even length arms and spot on camber. (Completely overkill and not needed as you can start chasing your tail if you aren't up with what you're doing)

Wish there was something like this for the 32

How/where did your Cusco front arms break? And you are talking about upper, not lower? They are one of the most solid designs i've seen; adjustment is a bit limited but you can modify to get a 4th setting easy enough.

I have used those 2-piece ones with no issues, but they are only joined by the centre bolt which i wasn't a fan of. Much prefer a bracketed 1-piece arm.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 3:35 PM, hardsteppa said:

How/where did your Cusco front arms break? And you are talking about upper, not lower? They are one of the most solid designs i've seen; adjustment is a bit limited but you can modify to get a 4th setting easy enough.

I have used those 2-piece ones with no issues, but they are only joined by the centre bolt which i wasn't a fan of. Much prefer a bracketed 1-piece arm.

so I may have to go with GKTech for the 1-piece front upper arm.