SAU Community

New shifter recommendations

Rios

On 26/08/2021 at 11:26 PM, BK said:

Check out this guru - good ol' Americans make me laugh 🤣

I knew there was a reason I was so sceptical about ever using a brass shifter bush....

This is the first I've heard of a brass shifter bushing failing and lunching a box

Maybe a monkey fisted install?

Maybe no lube during install, you need grease to lube that puppy...there's always time for lube

Maybe cheap poor quality  part?

This is the how to I used years ago > 

Meh, mine never failed and the shifter was tight like a tiger

Torque destroying gears, thats another story about 3 little cops, I mean 3 OEM gearboxes 

images.jpeg.thumb.jpg.93ce4a33596e2a22d5ee60d9df39b103.jpg

• Like 1

On 01/02/2020 at 3:11 PM, Rios said:

Well does anyone have a Cube premium shifter in their car ?

Previous reviews mention C's that are not available anymore.

Yes I do in my HR31 with RB25 and R33 box and it is fantastic. Nice smooth, short shift and now never miss 2nd to 3trd with the heavier centreing springs. All for a round $200. Best investment I ever made as I use the car on the track and for roll racing where you need to do quick changes.

On 27/08/2021 at 5:12 PM, mlr said:

This is the first I've heard of a brass shifter bushing failing and lunching a box

Maybe a monkey fisted install?

Maybe no lube during install, you need grease to lube that puppy...there's always time for lube

Maybe cheap poor quality  part?

This is the how to I used years ago > 

Meh, mine never failed and the shifter was tight like a tiger

Torque destroying gears, thats another story about 3 little cops, I mean 3 OEM gearboxes 

images.jpeg.thumb.jpg.93ce4a33596e2a22d5ee60d9df39b103.jpg

Yes the guy said he pushed down on it hard, so shitty install by a muppet user, but guaranteed it would've been a GKtech unit so quality I doubt was a factor.

On 27/08/2021 at 5:47 PM, WalkyHR31 said:

Yes I do in my HR31 with RB25 and R33 box and it is fantastic. Nice smooth, short shift and now never miss 2nd to 3trd with the heavier centreing springs. All for a round $200. Best investment I ever made as I use the car on the track and for roll racing where you need to do quick changes.

Yeah the cube shifter looks awesome. The brass bush, not so much.

Not worth destroyed transfer cases over a $40 unnessary part ? If it falls into a rb25 box it's not going to do shit compared to a GTR losing a brass bush directly into the transfer chain like this guy has done.

I'll stick with the factory nylon one thankyou, as they just get ground into dust and don't damage anything.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I ended up going with the Nismo quick shift and it is awesome. Solid, tight, and not too short of a shift. It's not quite Honda s2000 status (my favorite shifting car) but pretty close.  Granted I get my car worked on at Nismo Performance Center Tokyo so going with nismo was hard not to do lol. Cheers kanpai

PXL_20210410_070232119.jpg

Edited by Hella_GTR
  • Like 1

On 28/08/2021 at 11:31 AM, Hella_GTR said:

For what it's worth, I ended up going with the Nismo quick shift and it is awesome. Solid, tight, and not too short of a shift. It's not quite Honda s2000 status (my favorite shifting car) but pretty close.  Granted I get my car worked on at Nismo Performance Center Tokyo so going with nismo was hard not to do lol. Cheers kanpai

PXL_20210410_070232119.jpg

I initially did like the feel of the Nismo 25% quick shifter, but have since pulled mine out of my 32 and just put the standard one back in - didn't really see the point.

As my 32 has a dog box it really just illustrates that synchro boxes for shifting can never compete with dog engagement, and a quick shifter doesn't really improve a hell of a lot with them. It is a good way to destroy synchros though.

To me installation of quick shifters feel like a big improvement on synchromesh transmissions, until you shift with dog engagement and realise it's not much of an improvement at all.