SAU Community

New shifter recommendations

Rios

Hi I am thinking of getting a new  shifter can anyone recommend one.

Any owner reviews or one's to avoid would be great, To suit R33 GTST.

Looking for smoother more precise shifting.

3 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

You are not going to get smoother more precise shifting from a shifter in a skyline.

So you think I should just get a new bushing brass or plastic ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GTofuS-T said:

You could also replace/upgrade the return springs to give it a tighter feel

There are 3 options hard, medium, soft, which one to choose without trying them all out ?

Anyone have opinions on the return spring, also brass or nylon bushing.

Thanks

No way will you tell the difference between a brass or nylon bushing.

The springs are cheap as. Just buy them all and find what you like.. Or do you prefer some random guy to tell you their prefefence?

• 6 months later...

Don't mean to bring this thread back from the dead but I have also been thinking of a new shorter throw shifter for the GTR.  I know there's pros and cons I've read on here about this, but seems like the Nismo 25% one is good and about $300 (USD) here in Japan but the Cube speed ones look nice too and are less expensive.  People really prefer OEM over one of these models? 

Example of the Nismo 25% reduced shifter: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g424885412

I have a hardly used Nismo 25% quick shifter here that I was running on the 32R with an OS giken 5 speed. It was awesome - the tightness changed and is very very short shifts, but very positive. I rate them.

I've since changed to a dog box but have the stock shifter with that box now, as the stock shifter is a bit quicker to remove. I should try the quick shifter with the dog box, but I have heard of it not being good with it. I might stick it in the 33.

1 hour ago, WR33KD said:

The cube speed shifter comes with everything you need to swap it. Far far better than the nismo shifter. I have had a chiza, nismo and now a cube and the cube wins hands down

Do you have the standard or the "premium" cube shifter?

The premium is still less expensive than the nismo 25% reduction. Very tempting. I wish I can try both first! Although being in Japan it would be convenient to get the nismo. Thanks everyone! 

• 1 year later...
On 01/02/2020 at 2:43 PM, Rios said:

So you think I should just get a new bushing brass or plastic ?

Check out this guru - good ol' Americans make me laugh 🤣

I knew there was a reason I was so sceptical about ever using a brass shifter bush....