SAU Community

R33 big box on R34 GT?

I got a pretty good question for y'all that i cant find an answer to no where..... 
In the event that my r34's 25De+T small box may one day give up with the abuse of being boosted and drifted, What would be involved with changing the small box to the R33 big box?
My Main concern would be driveshaft compatibility, i do not think that my current stock drive shaft will work. Can anyone please shed some light on this, anyone ever done this in here? Any ideas or advice is welcomed.
Thank you.

18 minutes ago, Unzipped Composites said:

I'm not certain because I used everything from a 34 donor car, but considering the gearbox is the same I imagine the 34 GTT tailshaft will fit if you are also using a GTT diff? 

No. He's starting with an NA gearbox. It's a DE + T

4 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

No. He's starting with an NA gearbox. It's a DE + T

Yeh, I started with the same. But didn't go +T, I just swapped everything in from a donor GTT. Engine, gearbox, driveshaft, diff. 

But where is the difference? If he changes to an RB25DET gearbox, then the tailshaft should fit? The 33 boxes are the same as the 34 boxes other than pull/push, are they not? So provided the diff is changed too, then it should all just bolt up? 

34 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

You need the big box tailshaft from a r34 gtt as splines are different. 

Sorry but can you explain a lil more? my car is the 1998 ER34 25GT COUPE non hicas... so what you are saying is that i would need the front half of the r33 gtst's drive shaft as the spline that goes into the gearbox is different? Would this also mean that i may need to shorten or modify the overall length? Thanks for the reply by the way 

3 hours ago, Dil-Dog said:

need the front half of the r34 GTT's drive shaft as the spline that goes into the gearbox is different?

Fixed that for you.

Yes, the gearboxes are different (NA cf. turbo). The length of the box and the output spline, obviously.

Yes, the front half of the tailshaft of an R33 or R34 turbo will go into the box. But I changed your quote to say R34, just in case there is a length difference between R33 and R34 tailshafts. You need both the spline and the tailshaft length to match.

It's also why I said cut and shut in my first reply. It may not be strictly necessary in this case because of the possible and likely existence of a tailshaft piece that already suits (from an R34, possibly R33). But when you do this into an R32 you have to cut and shut tailshafts together.

• Thanks 1