SAU Community

What causes lights to melt?

PranK

These are the tail lights from my E90. I have replaced the drivers side one previously so these two light housings come from 2 different cars.

What the hell is causing them to melt? The passenger side light lets so much light from the brake into the indicator it looks like its on! 

I'm assuming a manufacturing defect, but this plastic is super hard. It'd take some crazy temps to melt it.

PXL_20200916_064752715.jpg

PXL_20200916_064746911.jpg

5 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Wrong globes?

Is that a thing? I can't imagine that most tail light bulbs would be that much different? I just bought all new bulbs and they are each 21w in the tail lights. 4 of them. Most of the  other bulb holes seem ok (but not all)

I'm with GTSBoy on this one. 12W are tail/parker globes and 21W are for brake light globes. A stop/tail globe will have dual filament 12/21W filaments. Just be sure to double check that you're not putting single filament globes where double filament globes are supposed to go and vice versa.

It's very unusual. Taillights are usually 5W. Some are brighter at 12W. But a 21W globe is real brakelight territory. Brakelights are always much brighter than any permanently lit rear light, for obvious reasons.

I would be tempted to distrust the Narva et al listings and possibly being contaminated with false data from some common/root source. Go ask BMW directly perhaps?

5 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

It's very unusual. Taillights are usually 5W. Some are brighter at 12W. But a 21W globe is real brakelight territory. Brakelights are always much brighter than any permanently lit rear light, for obvious reasons.

I would be tempted to distrust the Narva et al listings and possibly being contaminated with false data from some common/root source. Go ask BMW directly perhaps?

I did check a heap of sources. I'll email my local BMW service and see what they say.

• 2 weeks later...

Can only imagine that the BCM runs the 21W globes that would normally be 5W in any other car at a reduced voltage, and perhaps this system has failed and is putting more (ie, 12) volts onto them and they get hotter than intended and do the melty dance.