SAU Community

HELP: Old rays cerumo sport wheels

kolaxjason

hey guys, might be the right place to post, might not be..

I'm currently getting my rims off my r34 refurbished and they'll be resprayed to obviously make them look brand new, the issue i now have is i want them to retain the original silver paint, apon dropping them off and discussing the job he asked about colour and i said as close to standard as possible, he said he would do them in a similar colour to hsv silver, which at the time i thought was going to be something i invisioned in my head, apon research it wont look the same, therefore leaving me to search the internet like crazy the last few hours trying to find the paint code for my rims, if anyone could help or point me in the right direction ill be forever greatful! 

MAKE: RAYS
MODEL: Cerumo sports C5S 
YEAR: 1999

ill attach a photo from google to show what they look like.
Thanks, Jason

cerumo.jpg

1 hour ago, Rusty Nuts said:

Rays are still in existence, and would surely still have the colour codes, got to be worth dropping them an email.

i would assume they wouldn't hand out paint codes just like that so i didnt bother, but i did do some more research from rays in 1999 and found a possible colour called titanium silver matt, looks similar in some photos, ill keep looking for an exact colour code though lol

10 hours ago, kolaxjason said:

ill keep looking for an exact colour code though lol

As if a colour code is any better than the name! It's just a code. It doesn't actually tell you how to mix it. The exact same colour from Nissan could be YY1, from Mitsubishi could be u16 and from a Polish tractor manufacturer it could be N6DD12L33. The exact same code, used by those same three manufacturers, could be a blue, a silver and a shitty brown colour.

11 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

As if a colour code is any better than the name! It's just a code. It doesn't actually tell you how to mix it. The exact same colour from Nissan could be YY1, from Mitsubishi could be u16 and from a Polish tractor manufacturer it could be N6DD12L33. The exact same code, used by those same three manufacturers, could be a blue, a silver and a shitty brown colour.

Ah, but if you walked into a paint supplier and asked for Pantone Yellow, there's 25 different shades of Pantone Yellow. Same goes for most colours. So you really want the manufacturer, the name, and the code. 

I'm also a bit surprised the painter isn't just colour matching the wheels. Most painters should be able to colour match very closely, and account for colour fade. 

3 hours ago, Unzipped Composites said:

Ah, but if you walked into a paint supplier and asked for Pantone Yellow, there's 25 different shades of Pantone Yellow. Same goes for most colours. So you really want the manufacturer, the name, and the code. 

I'm also a bit surprised the painter isn't just colour matching the wheels. Most painters should be able to colour match very closely, and account for colour fade. 

Don't you dare talk sense!

• 1 year later...