SAU Community

How much is a used R34 GTT transmission worth?

I'm in the market for a transmission upgrade and am curious as to what your thoughts are on current pricing for FS5R30A transmissions.

For a bit of back story, I bought my R34 GTT last year and it came with the the less-than-suitable R32 RB20det (71C) gearbox, which was used to swap the car from AT to MT at some point . I frequently visit the track for both grip and drift sessions, although recently, less so on the latter due to fear of killing the box. The 71C has to go, and it will be better to sell it whilst it's fuctioning.

Nissan prices for the FS5R30A are in the region of 240,000JPY (2,200USD) now, up from around 180,000JPY (1,600USD) last year.

There's a used FS5R30A with 100,000kms which is claimed to be working on yahoo auction and im questioning whether to bid. it's currently just below half the new cost but I expect it to go up further. The labour cost for a transmission rebuild from what I've found is 120,000JPY, which rules out getting it and having it rebuilt as a cost effective option.

A mate of mine has said he wouldn't pay more than 80,000JPY for one but I'm not so sure he's factoring in today's value for the box.

So the question is, how much would you pay for this used box with 100,000kms?

• 5 weeks later...

They're $3750 new from Nissan. People are trying to charge that for 2nd hand ones that have done 4th gear reverse entry drifts on Simmons plains for the past 15 years. 

Personally I wouldn't spend more than $1500 on a used box, the peace of mind is worth the extra coin.