SAU Community

R32 rwd front wheel speed sensors

mrsr32

Has anyone fitted a wheel speed sensor to a rwd R32?  I'd like to add traction control from my ecu and need a non driven wheel speed sensor. 

Ive tried to find some abs front hubs and changing the sensor  but having no luck

Something along the lines of a Motec hall sensor.

https://www.motec.com.au/ac-sn-crankcamspeed/sn-crankcamspeed-hs/

Not sure there is much room to mount one look at the back of the studs the way the knuckle is.  I need to look at it on the car.

image.thumb.png.f648c598a7deac1e0965e45649336ad6.png

That should be more help to anyone else that looks at this post.

I use the factory ABS holes and run GT101 style hall sensors on the ABS rings. Due to the high tooth count and low diameter I've reduced the number of teeth by 50%, still much better than wheel studs. 

This works fine with my Motec setup, I use the rear ABS sensors for rear wheel speed.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2022 at 10:24 AM, mrsr32 said:

Something along the lines of a Motec hall sensor.

https://www.motec.com.au/ac-sn-crankcamspeed/sn-crankcamspeed-hs/

Not sure there is much room to mount one look at the back of the studs the way the knuckle is.  I need to look at it on the car.

image.thumb.png.f648c598a7deac1e0965e45649336ad6.png

That should be more help to anyone else that looks at this post.

I haven't done it just yet on mine, as of late I haven't had much spare time to tinker however I believe if you expose part of the dust shield you'll be able to see the wheel studs. 

On 28/03/2022 at 7:58 AM, Komdotkom said:

I use the factory ABS holes and run GT101 style hall sensors on the ABS rings. Due to the high tooth count and low diameter I've reduced the number of teeth by 50%, still much better than wheel studs. 

This works fine with my Motec setup, I use the rear ABS sensors for rear wheel speed.

This would be an ideal solution on a non ABS car, however if you wish to retain ABS then this won't work.

Or if both the above is too hard basket, just use a GPS sensor and calculate the percentage slip based on rear wheel speed vs GPS speed (similar to how AWD, 4WD guys would control traction).

On 3/28/2022 at 9:58 AM, Komdotkom said:

Perfect, this what I was after.  Did you just use an R32 abs ring and grind every second tooth down?

I looked into g sensors and gps, but a lot of people say they react too slow, however it must work some how for the AWD guys that have no option of a non driven wheel speed sensor.

Yes, just the stock ABS sensor hole (shims needed to get correct sensor clearance) and then I chucked the tone ring in the rotary table and knocked off every second tooth in the mill. 

You need to have an ECU which can do different wheel speed calculations on either end of the car, I'm not sure what you are running but Motec does it. I don't have much experience with the other brands. On the rear I just run unmodified tone rings because the teeth are larger and further apart which works for GT101's. 

It's worth noting that GT101's get a bad wrap largely on missing tooth setups, which they are shit at. On constant tooth setups I've not had any dramas with them but I always have spares ready to go just in case.

• Like 1

That's going to be hard to get right. You're doing very different calculations so the resolution available in the ECU will be critical. 

You will need to spend a lot of time making sure that your driven wheel speed matches your front wheel speed, I suspect that you'll need a lot of numbers after the decimal point for this to read correctly.

Is this traction setup for circuit racing or drag/roll racing?

If it's for drag, straight line business see if you can adapt a GPS sensor. You can then calculate slip percentage (road speed) between the drive wheel & the actual position of the car.

For circuit racing, you would ideally want both front wheels fed in vs. the rear driven wheels.