SAU Community

Bosch 82mm DBW Throttle Body - School me

Purchased a Bosch 82mm throttle and 350Z pedal amongst other things to go drive by wire. I know they sell a range of different adaptors for the throttle body (Plazmaman, Tarks, etc.) but originally how was this throttle body mated up to a pipe? How was that little 1/2" flange meant to be used? Is the chamfer for an O-ring? 

Couldn't find any information online and was very curious...

BOSCH-82-DBW-5.jpg

Edited by TurboTapin

• TurboTapin changed the title to Bosch 82mm DBW Throttle Body - School me

Looks like the back of it is just flat, so you'd have a gasket and then some bolts that hold it to the intake. If it's anything like the other DBW setups I've seen it's just a hose and hose clamp that goes over the front of the throttle body and the lip is there to keep the hose from slipping.

Edited by joshuaho96

On 4/18/2022 at 8:47 PM, joshuaho96 said:

Looks like the back of it is just flat, so you'd have a gasket and then some bolts that hold it to the intake. 

I meant the other end of it. Where a pipe would mate up to it and not the intake manifold. 

On 4/18/2022 at 8:47 PM, joshuaho96 said:

Looks like the back of it is just flat, so you'd have a gasket and then some bolts that hold it to the intake. If it's anything like the other DBW setups I've seen it's just a hose and hose clamp that goes over the front of the throttle body and the lip is there to keep the hose from slipping.

I doubt it. The chamfer and the lip thickness would not allow a pipe to be clamped on, not without slipping off anyways. 

On 4/18/2022 at 5:54 PM, TurboTapin said:

I doubt it. The chamfer and the lip thickness would not allow a pipe to be clamped on, not without slipping off anyways. 

https://www.bosch-motorsport.com/content/downloads/Raceparts/Resources/pdf/Data Sheet_68749835_Electronic_Throttle_Body.pdf

It's really strange to me that their drawing here shows what I would expect, which is a lip to keep an intake pipe from slipping off and a flat section for sealing properly. This is 0280.750.101. Digging deeper into it apparently this is not what is being sold widely, rather it's whatever is being used by Porsche and other vendors. Looking at the EPC number 3 in this diagram is the pipe that connects up to the front of the throttle body:

image.thumb.png.eeda8bbba9c8fc89b19457d3412b8a28.png

Edit:

If you look at this guide showing how they clean the throttle body it's clear to me that the pipe has a lip in it and then a hose clamp that applies pressure to keep it from pulling off: https://www.planet-9.com/threads/how-to-throttle-body-cleaning-and-gdi-intake-cleaning.248159/

image.thumb.png.eea56a9f44a7b8167f57ce76ab5b5944.png

Edited by joshuaho96
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 6:23 AM, TurboTapin said:

Thanks guys! Very informative.  I never thought of N/A cars... only had boosted applications in mind. I'll definitely be purchasing an adapter. 

The design seen in the OEM part would definitely not pop off even under boost. Pretty substantial lip with a hose clamp to apply pressure to keep it from moving. The trouble is finding an aftermarket pipe that would replicate that design feature.

On 4/20/2022 at 8:41 AM, joshuaho96 said:

The design seen in the OEM part would definitely not pop off even under boost. Pretty substantial lip with a hose clamp to apply pressure to keep it from moving. The trouble is finding an aftermarket pipe that would replicate that design feature.

Without getting the genuine hose there is no way. 
I tried different silicone hoses & clamps. The lip isn't that big, barely there. other option is make a bracket that bolts to the intercooler pipe & pick up one of the TB bolts