SAU Community

Newbie - Melb - FiXtUrE in da house 😎

FiXtUrE

Hi all, I’m new to this whole forum thing, please excuse if I f#@k up 👍

I’m new to skylines as well as I owned s13’s for years. Can someone please tell me if I have to start with an R31 when starting with skylines?

A mate seems to think i have no choice but te start with an r31. All is good if o have to 😎 but can someone confirm this please?

thanks, & I’ll see you all in the threads 

• Like 1

Welcome. But what do you mean "start with an R31"? Do you mean that's the first one you're allowed to buy? If so, hell no. Some important points.

1. Australian market R31s are not the same as JDM R31s. They were typically owned by broke-arse flanny wearing fishtank swap offerers, are all thoroughly stuffed from elevnty years of neglect and bong smoke.
  2. JDM R31s are as rare as hen's teeth. Used to be the ugly duckling compared to R32s (and some might say the R33 and later also, but they would be wrong!!). But now, a good R31 is probably even more desirable than a good R32, even if the car is notionally not as good as an R32, simply because they are that one more step old skool retro JDM yo! The sharper squared off lines became cool again. I'd give a limb for one of the hot ones.
  3. JDM R31s are therefore not cheap.
  4. Any and all other Skylines (R32-4) are also not cheap. Now worth at least double what they were 20 years ago.
  5. Buy what you like/can afford. There may or may not be overlap between those two!
  • Like 1

Lol😎 …. I get the picture, thanks for the info gtsboy & nizmoman.👍

im gonna get me something that absolutely rips then. I’m more into sedan’s these days with the gf and mates Eric..a mad 32 or 34 sedan is looking good. 

thanks.

It’s pretty much the 80’s interior on a silo r31 that’s starting to show its age which I probably the only thing that stops me from wanting one. But old skool is cool that said.

I love watching big sedans drift, it’s like there getting more angle👍

still yet to give drift ago in a skyline sedan… but it would f@#king pump 😳

there’s not many sedans in the classifieds on this site atm. I’ll just have to wait.

All I said was that 20 years ago R33 sedans were an ugly pov-spec shitbox (which is unarguably true) and that I was surprised that they are now cool.

Pov spec because they were much cheaper than coupes because they weren't wanted. Everyone wanted a coupe. Just like the one I have owned for nearly a quarter of a century.

Ugly, because....R33. Yeesh.

Shitbox, because....dirty old 90s Nissan. They're all shitboxes. Just ask anyone here.

You wouldn’t believe it right…. I thought  I hag to get an r31 to start with, it turns out I can have whatever I want. Then Initially I was leaning towards a r32 or r34 sedan. 
I had a look on the classifieds on this site and elsewhere on the web. Then I found an r33 sedan for sale which I like. Excuse me if I’m wrong but I’m aloud to be happy as I like all Nissans $ are happy in general.

all the above is obvious if you read this thread.

for mongies etc that can’t still figure out what I’m on about I’m a happy person ❤️😎

I'm a member of the "R33s are ugly boats" sect. There are others who like them. I just can't look at an R33 without seeing the front end of a 90s Magna with the back end of a 90s Maxima crashed into it.

I vastly prefer R32s, but even there, I hate the GTSt bonnet/grille situation. And therefore I wouldn't own one without GTR parts on it. Convenient, because that's what I have.

I really like R34s, although I find the sedan much less convincing than the coupe to look at. There's just something a little wrong about the proportions of the sedan. That's also true of the R32. The R33, oddly enough has the least wrongness about its proportions as a sedan - but then it just looks like an Almera or some other FWD shitter (because of the droopy bootline). The R33 really was just in an unfortunate patch for Nissan design in general.

R33s are ugly that's why they were cheaper than R32s. Only widebody GT-R and LM made it look better.
They look plain like same-era Camry. Just like S14 (pre facelift).

Now the tikgrambook kids say they're cool because 90's JDM yo

AE86 is even worse.