SAU Community

Rust Spots - R33: How Stuffed am I?

1 hour ago, ACTIVE-LSD said:

Nice looking good mate. how many hours did that take you? If you're fastidious with the colour difference, you can take off the bonnet hinge and get it paint matched in rattle cans by a paint shop. use matte clear coat as engine bay is not gloss from factory.

All up, probably 8 hours for both sides.

Fully removed any trace of visible spot rust, rust converter just in case and then redid it all with rust primer and top coat.

Bit of a mission, rust wasn't awful but this should be a solid band-aid.

Few spots I couldn't get to without a lot more work- but thankfully looks very early stages of rust, so i'll address them at a later stage.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigDogRB said:

Few spots I couldn't get to without a lot more work- but thankfully looks very early stages of rust, so i'll address them at a later stage.

If you are thinking of going all-in, have a look at @Shoota_77's build thread. He was taking it all the way a while ago with his engine bay and wheel arches and was documenting it all. It looks like a serious rabbit hole though. You two could start a mental health support group after going through it ;)

Here's a rough starting point:

There's a bit more on the pages before. And after of course.

On 4/8/2023 at 4:34 PM, ACTIVE-LSD said:

Nah top plate is different as others have mentioned. not sure about the sides though. Are you sure SR Auto bodies are shut down? their website is still active.

Yeah I also spotted that. As far as I know the shop for full restorations has shut down - check their IG page. Whether this applies to the online store I am unsure. They do have the strut tops for sale online which is worth a shot. I've been tempted just to buy them for spare, at <£300 the price isnt bad.

On 28/03/2023 at 10:51 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You will need to cut into it, rust converter and weld up, add seam sealer, etc. then respray.

Not impossible, but not fun either lol.

I went in for a basic "respray", nek minnit.............. yeah could have just bought another car with that money LOL.

I had the same issues.

Mood