SAU Community

Wire Dash cluster from wires plugged to Microtech

Is it possible to tap into wires leading to ECU for RPM,  water temp, volts ect...?

I want to get dash cluster working as much as I can. I have a microtech dash sitting in front of the cluster but I hate the look of it. 

on another note has any one mounted aftermarket gauges in the cluster?

But don't just "tap into" randomly either. Consult the wiring diagram and make your new wiring look like that.

FWIW, there is almost not one single dash signal that comes from the ECU. On an R32 it is the tacho and the cat over temp light (which is used to flash the engine fault codes). Nothing else. The oil pressure, water temperature and boost come direct from their sensors in the engine bay. Fuel directly from the tank. If it's an AWD, then the torque meter is fed from the ATESSA CU. That's it.

If you're removing your original cluster to replace it with the microtech dash, also keep in mind that you will need to add a resister for alternator excitation and fuel low lamp. You will also need a diode for doors ajar lamp.

Everything else is pretty straight forward. 

3 hours ago, OO Dan OO said:

on another note has any one mounted aftermarket gauges in the cluster?

Never seen it done. The easiest way to put some gauges in is 52mm stepper gauges in a 3 wide single DIN panel between the radio and the air con.

21 hours ago, TurboTapin said:

If you're removing your original cluster to replace it with the microtech dash, also keep in mind that you will need to add a resister for alternator excitation and fuel low lamp. You will also need a diode for doors ajar lamp.

Everything else is pretty straight forward. 

I don't want to remove the original cluster maybe just swap out speedo and Tach for aftermarket ones if I can modify to fit. 

2 hours ago, OO Dan OO said:

I don't want to remove the original cluster maybe just swap out speedo and Tach for aftermarket ones if I can modify to fit. 

Oh, I misunderstood your original post. Why not just replace your original cluster with the Microtech? It will look heaps better than a Frankenstein cluster or a digital dash sitting in front of your original cluster (Hate seeing this, huge pet peeve of mine) and will be much easier to do.