SAU Community

Aircon gas question

Beer Baron

if it has r134a in at  (1996 model onwards)  ...it does not have to be degassed...but the importer or RAWS workshop has to have .a pre charged equipment licence to import  it(r134a) ..no one has degas 134a   overseas or when it gets here

R134a was in cars well before 1996. My 93 Skyline had 134a.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been in touch with dept of treehuggers this morning..and my solicitor...it seems joe bloggs doesn`t need his car degassed or licence to import 134a ..but companys do

solicitor tells me this may be illegal..discrimation he called it ...unfair trading practices

a law for one does not exist he tells me....law is for all

i smell a lawsuit

this DEH ..TREEHUGGERS have been a pain in the arse...looking forward to sending the suits after em

I wonder if the "Treehuggers" can explain the difference between 10 person importing 10 vehicles for personal use and 1 business person importing 10 vehicles. How does that impact the environment?  :throwup:

EXACTLY...like i said to them yesterday looks like 40 or so members of my family just became private importers..and i`ll see how many more importers i can find at the pub friday night, its now obvious that this has nothing to do with the environment....the $3000.00 licence IMPOSED on business`s that import cars,(another cost to the consumer) ...is just another TAX by the highest taxing government in this countrys history.

this whole aircon gas thing is just another HOWARD govt SCAM

speaking to head tree huggers today ....yesterday they were in a meeting in

TASMANIA....of course

I agree. The regulation does not make sense with respect to vehicles with R134a in them. What is the point of degassing a car with R134a only to re-gas it again once it reaches australia?

How does that benefit the environment? It seems to use twice as much gas for the same purpose...

Obviously it's just a way for the government to tax us some more.

No-one has to de-gas 134a. According to Jake32 importers just need a licence to bring in the cars with the gas still in the system.

Thanks for the info on the R12 gas guys - that's good news.

Richard

What if you have already paid for the degassing and changing the valve and regassing. Do you get that money back if it hasn't been done yet and the car is still in Japan. How much is it in for this AC gassing process, is it about 30 000 yen?

You can try talking to whoever did the degassing but I doubt you'll get your money back Ray. Because someone has performed a service on your car, hence time & labour etc was involved, and just because it's not required now doesn't mean they'll refund you.

Doesn't hurt to ask though.

What if you have already paid for the degassing and changing the valve and regassing. Do you get that money back if it hasn't been done yet and the car is still in Japan. How much is it in for this AC gassing process, is it about 30 000 yen?

Well from what I now know you won't have wasted your money.....I've obtained copies of the formal documents that private importers are required to submit to the DEH in order for the car to clear customs if the car a/c system is charged with CFC (R12).

The document the owner/importer is required to sign includes an undertaking that the car will have the a/c system evacuated and converted to non-CFC gas within 21 days of the date of the agreement. The conversion must be done by a qualified technician and proof must be provided to the DEH that the conversion has been done in accordance with Australian Standards (ie invoice with technicians details provided, car details, date, etc).

So it is definately not the case that you can import a car with R12 gas and be able to continue to use it without converting the a/c system. The doc doesn't say what happens in the event that the conversion isn't done in the prescribed timeframe, but clearly the DEH still has the option of applying the sanctions (ie fines) contained in the legislation, which are substantial.

EXACTLY...like i said to them yesterday looks like 40 or so members of my family just became private importers..and i`ll see how many more importers i can find at the pub friday night,  its now obvious that this has nothing to do with the environment....the $3000.00 licence IMPOSED on business`s that import cars,(another cost  to the consumer) ...is just another TAX by the highest taxing government in this countrys history.

this whole aircon gas thing is just another HOWARD govt SCAM

speaking to head tree huggers today ....yesterday they were in a meeting in  

TASMANIA....of course

I wonder how much the head tree huggers get in donation for treehugging from various *ahem* groups...these *ahem* groups have probably made quite some impact in political donations...to *ahem* certain ministers... :headspin:

Talkin about TAX..this is 1 country that encourages its citizens to earn less or even rely on unemployment benefits...some of these benefits pays better than some jobs out there...

I dont know about you guys but in a few years time when i bore of my R32 ill prolly import another car. If i was to go the way about stating that I am not going to do this just to safe a few hundred bucks i lose my chance to import more cars as i assume you wont get approval since you signend a form saying you wernt going to do this.

Id rather not cut myself short on furture options just for a few hundred bucks that I will easly save by importing my next car

The forms I have don't actually mention anything about any further imports.

Regardless, once the 15 yo option is eliminated as of 1/1/2005 (highly likely if not absolutely certain IMHO), the only option for the vast majority will be via the new scheme (RAWS) and undoubtedly there are strict rules they must follow in terms of a/c gases.....the fee for any mandatory work on the a/c system will be incorporated in the compliance cost.

The forms I have don't actually mention anything about any further imports.

Regardless, once the 15 yo option is eliminated as of 1/1/2005 (highly likely if not absolutely certain IMHO), the only option for the vast majority will be via the new scheme (RAWS) and undoubtedly there are strict rules they must follow in terms of a/c gases.....the fee for any mandatory work on the a/c system will be incorporated in the compliance cost.

Firstly customs where suppose to be policing these rules since 1996 and they are in the bad books with Dept E&H for not doing their job.

The licence is for any company importing anything with a gas in it or bulk gas from large air-cons, cool rooms down to even Toyota and they all have to keep record of what gas they bring in and report to Dept E&H.

It came about because a few companys were importing R12 which is against the law to top up their large Cool Rooms and A/C units instead of paying the cost of converting to R134a.

If you import a vehicle under SEVS and it has R12 in it acording to VSB10 the R12 has to be romoved any way.

The RAWS I know will be billing for regassing the vehicle with SP34E as it will blend with the R12 oil. If you put R134a in a system that has had R12 and dont change the oil in the compressor (big job) your A/C wont last long, also SP34E runs at a cooler temp so it is a better gas to have in your car. If they put R134a in get a written warrenty that their wont be a problem with the A/C as a few that have been approached wont do it.

http://www.solpower.com/sp34e/sp34emain.asp

It is nothing to do with the Government picking on importers.

Ok here is my experience from this month. I had my dryer and valves removed in Japan and obviously the gas aswell. I got a Certificate from a company that did the work. This cost me AUD$60. I was then faxed this receipt. Now, from MY point of view, the car is now entering Aus without a working aircon system, and therefore should be considered to not have an Aircon system at all, so it should be allowed in as is. BUT... reality for me was to

1) Contact That Department in Canberra - they requested I fax them docs for proof

2) Fax them a form that stated the system was removed and that the vehicle is a once of import for personal use. Accompanying this is my degas Cert from Japan which DOES NOT need translating. They also wanted a copy of my Drivers License

3) They then informed Customs for me and sent the approval directly to them

*** I should have done this before submitting my Customs Entry

I spoke to the Dept and they said I still needed it approved regardless to the fact that I was pointing out that the Car has now arrived with a non working aircon system. Ah well, dems da rulez!

JK

• 1 month later...