SAU Community

Still got loud "click". Pls Help!

Hey guys, I've posted this before, and have checked most things I know how too. Anyhow, my problem is than when taking off, on gear changes when accelerating, and when reversing, I usually get a loud "click" noise from my rear right wheel. If I take off very gently it doesn't happen. I have checked my rear suspension and nothing seems loose. Is it hard to get into the rear hubs and check the handbrake setup? Any ideas anyone? It's been happening for a few months now and seems to be getting worse. Any thoughts appreciated!!

I have not seen this problem on a skyline, but I did have a similar problem on another car. It turned out to be a universal joint although initially I couldn’t find any free play when checking it. The cause was obvious when it broke and the tail shaft shook lose and hit the ground (at 80kmph) fortunately it was the rear universal.

My car makes alot of clicking noises from the rear when taking off or reversing. It usually sounds like the right rear cause it's closer to you then the left and you may find it is both sides or even central as in the diff.

If it's more of a clunck then I would have a good look at the four rear subframe mounts. I broke two on mine and the whole rear of the car walked around and under some circumstances would clunk and bang when going over lumps and bumps in the road.

If it is the diff you should here more of a ratchet sound of a few clicks rather than one single.

Good Luck

Well, checked all the bolts etc- all tight. Did notice that while jacked up with the handbrake on, the wheel has play in it. Not heaps, but it will turn back and forth a few centimeters. Dunno, might have to fork out cash to have someone look at it, as much as I hate to spend money.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this same problem and believe me it has sent me nuts in trying to work it out. After speaking to a number of mechanics I was told that it is simply my rear brakes pads not sitting in the caliper properly. Usually happens with after market pads.

The best solution I found if using the existing brakes is to remove and clean your pads and any gunk around the piston area and before refitting them place some disc brake pad adhesive (known as Disc brake quiet from Repco) on the backing plate of the pad and piston area. This will dry and keep the pad from moving around.

Alternatively you could always fit some genuine pads and that will solve the problem.

At the end of the day its not a serious problem but very annoying.

Cheers plaganis. Took it for an alignment recently and the mechanic said he couldn't find anything wrong. Good news I guess, but the noise is still annoying!!

LOL...this is trajic. Noone in this country knows what causes the noise. Ive looked under my car. Ive had several reputable, well versed with imports, places look at the noise. Noone can suss it out, they tell me everything is A-OK, just to live with the noise...but it Sh1ts me to death.

Ill buy a case of beer to anyone that can suss this prob, mine is a clicking noise from what sounds liek the right rear, loud ratchet noise is a good way to explain it

the back and forth play in the wheel is normal...forget it.....as for the click forwards and gears and the ratchet in reverse.......i say check you uni joints on the tailshaft......but my gut feeling is that your wheel bearing has ben tightened to much and crushed the bearings out of round.......can you feel any roughness when turning the wheel while jacked up?

i have had this before......coan someone record the sound? that would make diagnosis much easier. :P

the shafts have to be the same length. the diff is in the middle/

to anyone with rear noises: Does the noise go away when u apply the brakes?

uni joints or diff pinion backlash (freeplay): would make a clunck noise under normal & hard accel. and quick de-accel.

Grinding noise: worn out or dry tail shaft centre bearing.

has anyone jacked up the rear of the car driven it in gear until it made the noise and have someone underneath the car trying to locate where the noise is coming from.

yes the diff is in the middle but the crown wheel is off to one side of the pinion, think about it for a second and you'll see what i mean...it would only be a few millimeters.......I'd check them both against each other before swapping them....because they WILL fit but damage can and most likely will be done when the car is driven as it will place massive pressure on the lsd/spidergears.