SAU Community

01 200sx or 89 GTR you pick one

OYEAHA

i have been face with this situation for a couple of weeks now but i have finally made my choice and i think it is the right one. i know they are hugely different cars but i just wanted to know what other people thoughts are on this. if you have an + or - on either car i would like to know thanks guys and girls.

:headspin:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give some pros and cons of each

R32 GTR

Pros:

4WD

Stock is Quicker than an S15

Endless Modification Potential

Can be made very quick with not alot of mods

Looks Better than an S15 :)

Cons:

Bloody Old

Stuff at the age where its going to start breaking

Probably been thrashed to within an inch of its life

Expensive parts

S15

Pros:

Newish

Easy to find parts for (Nissan AU)

Good performance Potential

Look Decent (Not as good as the GTR)

Cons:

Can't really think of many

Guest RedLineGTR

honestly you will be the the one that will end up spending the most time with it. you need to have a seat in both cars and see which you are more comfortable with. The main issue i see is with the age and how much money you intend to use on maintence on the 89 gtr.

My 2 cents. rob

R32 All the way...

Upkeep is expensive, but if you want one and can't afford to keep it on the raod then s15. If you can't afford the upkeep of a GTR then your "potential" for the s15 would also be limited? But a much more cost effective everyday car. You also don't get to own a GTR, your young (*maybee to young @ 22 for the GTR) and it is you right to make not so wise choices about what car to drive.

*to young for the insurance, no other reason as I don't know you.

My 2 bob

im going to go with the 200 it has a much newer fell to it i have all ways wanted a GTR but they are getting on now but it will always be nissan all the way

thanks guys

200SX hands down, anytime of the week, even an R33 GTR, I would still take the 200SX, but I would prob take and R34 GTT over a 200SX, so you do the maths..!!

id take a 33gtr over a gtt/200sx anyday hands down...

Cant even compare a gtr to those 2 inferior cars lol..thats my opinion anyway

I'm facing a similar dilemma. I'll have *about* 30g to play around with and I am considering an R32 GTR and using the spare cash to drop in a nice stereo system and keep around for stuff to fix, or alternatively go for an S15 Silvia Spec R (or maybe a Supra?).

I'm not looking at modding it yet but I may want to down the line.

Here's the way I see it:

R32 GTR

Pros: AWD, lots of power, lots of room for modding, fan-****ing-tastic car.

Cons: Older car (stuff will start breaking), looks a little dated, no CD player with stock standard so I will need to fork out money to get a stereo.

S15

Pros: Much newer car, nice shape, good alround car, has a stereo, responds well to mods if I decide to go that route.

Cons: RWD, nowhere near as much grunt as R32 or Supra.

Supra/R33 GTR (lumping them together due to price)

Pros: Around same price range. Both newer than R32.

Cons: R33 is not as kewl as an R32 or 34 - not unique. Don't like Supra look compared to Nissans.

It would be for a daily driver but I'd like it to have a bit of grunt off the line as well, and have a good stereo.

S15s are probably the most sensible choice being a newer car and never really been into mods and so forth, but I think if I got an R32 imported, the money I save from that 30k I could hang onto until stuff broke or replaced as required and still have plenty for stereo, immobiliser, etc. Or if I really wanted, touch up the body and interior a bit.

I dunno... I'm confused, they're all good. Any thoughts?

I think the big decider is what I can expect to go wrong with any of the cars? I mean common mechanical faults, etc.

- J.

Like the saying, each to their own.....

Keeping a GTR alive isn't as expensive as they rumoured to be but it does take a lot of time a week to maintain them in excellent running order. Or maybe it's just me being a pedantic fussy bastard I dissect the damn whale every weekend to make sure it doesn't shit itself even when I only drive it 3 days a week. In fact I've only driven it once this week.

well if i had $30k to spend i would look at importing an 89 GTR with good overall body condition but with a fried or very tired motor at a cheap price and with the money left over rebuild the motor and fix any worn out wear and tear parts.

you are on a skyline forum where a lot of peoples dream car is the GTR so answers will be biased, vice versa on a pro sr20det forum.

Good luck with your choice either way, they are both fantastic cars in there own right.

not ture, friend is running 400+rwhp in his jap-spec 99 s15, and has had no gearbox troble at all

Is actually very true ...

S15 6 speed boxes are no way near as strong as the 5 speed boxes.

You'll find a lot of people switch from the 6 speed back to the 5 speed.

Every day driver, go the S15. I've switched the 6-speed for a S14 5-speed, they don't like double the power and double the clamping force from an uprated clutch.

If you want a drag/circuit weekender, the R32 GTR has much more potential.