SAU Community

What's with Skylines

Ait

Guest sleighty

"You don't get it, do you??? It ain't my point! Do you realize that out of the 800 STi drivers (and possibly more with the new STis), only a handful who can REALLY handle? Same as those M3 drivers, Ferrari drivers, Porsche drivers and any other performance car owners of that caliber. Not to mention the HSV drivers. Sure their cars are fast, but that don't make them a fast driver without learning some skills. "

I understand you are saying skill and knowledge are the important factor.Why choose hsv and sti drivers in the first place?Does everyone that drive a skyline think like you or can drive fast in a corner?Knowledge and skills are important but not every body who drives know that or want to know that.I m sure the percentage of drivers who drive skyline and the percentage of drivers in a sti who are ignorant or do not want to go fast in a corner are about the same,but you cant prove or disprove that.

Why are the cars you choose seemingly expensive and out of your buying power?Do i sense sour grapes here.

Stock for stock,a porsche will outrun a skyline on a track any day with you in the driver seat for a time trial.

I know this is a skyline forum so i m willing to take some stick.But i hope you guys can see what i m trying to say here and be unbiased for a moment to see what i m driving at.Shiro,its the way you phrased that about the hsv and sti that made me speak out.I drive a s13 and i am learning how to go faster in a corner but i do not classify sti or hsv to be slow in the corners,the drivers may not want to play on the roads who knows they may be able to lap you on the track.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by sleighty

I understand you are saying skill and knowledge are the important factor.Why choose hsv and sti drivers in the first place?Does everyone that drive a skyline think like you or can drive fast in a corner?Knowledge and skills are important but not every body who drives know that or want to know that.I m sure the percentage of drivers who drive skyline and the percentage of drivers in a sti who are ignorant or do not want to go fast in a corner are about the same,but you cant prove or disprove that.

Ain't that my point? Not all drivers possess the skills and since this is a Skyline Forum, I don't wanna piss :D anyone by saying that some Skyline drivers are suck! :)

Why do I pick STis and HSVs? 'Coz they are the c.o.c.k.i.e.s.t. drivers around, in general. I ain't saying all Skyline drivers behave nicely, 'coz my brother just met a dickhead in a maroon R33 on Eastern Freeway this afternoon.

Why are the cars you choose seemingly expensive and out of your buying power?Do i sense sour grapes here.

Stock for stock,a porsche will outrun a skyline on a track any day with you in the driver seat for a time trial.

Simple, I wanna stress that you can buy a performance car but you can't buy your skill...

I know this is a skyline forum so i m willing to take some stick.But i hope you guys can see what i m trying to say here and be unbiased for a moment to see what i m driving at.Shiro,its the way you phrased that about the hsv and sti that made me speak out.I drive a s13 and i am learning how to go faster in a corner but i do not classify sti or hsv to be slow in the corners,the drivers may not want to play on the roads who knows they may be able to lap you on the track.

Well, the way I see it, if someone goes mighty hard on the straight and brakes like crazy before it turns and 'let me get by' in the corner then accellerates again when it hits the straight... I assume they can't turn that fast. Simple as that...:)

So what happens when someone slows and you rifle past... then slam into a tree cos you misjudged a dodgy corner?

(my point is just that I drive cautiously when I don't know the area)

*EDIT: I forgot to mention.. there's a simple reason why people go slow in corners.. cos braking in an emergency in a corner is far more dangerous than on a straight. So for the same reason people slow for the corner is why people don't go 250 down a straight road (well maybe some of you do..)

Originally posted by Timmy G

So what happens when someone slows and you rifle past... then slam into a tree cos you misjudged a dodgy corner?

(my point is just that I drive cautiously when I don't know the area)

Yeah, only highly-skilled people race on a course they don't know... It ain't me...

I personally wouldn't wanna race wth someone over a long distance because it'd just be pushing up the ante, going faster and faster.

I'm pretty sure if I did that I'd be out of my comfort zone and into the danger zone where there's a possibility of writing my car off or worse..

Guest sleighty

cool i get it now.i hate hsv and sti too hehe

braking in a corner is not wise at high speeds.however,if you could achieve that with left foot while controlling your throttle still with right foot then its fine.

braking before a corner and taking the apexi is wise thing to do,that is the way for us rear wheel drive people aint it,slow in high rev low gear fast out.

Originally posted by Timmy G

911 Turbo vs. R34 GT-R :)

Both have an all wheel drive system, twin turbo.  But one is lighter, produces more power and is 2.5 times the other in price :rolleyes:

Porsche will beat it. The performance and handling in a 911 Turbo is more balanced than that of a GTR and it has been proven on a track in many tests with the same driver over more than 10 laps in each car and the avg lap times taken.

Porsche if im not mistaken is constant 4WD? and price is not what was on subject. If ur going to bring price into it u bring a whole lot more issue and queries.. a 500 dollar torana with a 6000 dollar engine built in a back yard will beat a GTR down the str8.... but thats not what we're talkin about ;)

This argument has nothing to do with cars it is one drivers skill behind the wheel against another.

With the popularity of Skylines growing as they have. I must say that the are a massive (growing) amount of shocking skyline drivers who think the car will make them an awsome driver. Much like what you claim BMW, Ferrari, Porsche, Subaru drivers do.

I have watched Stock VW VR6's and SSS's power away from GTST owners fumbeling at the wheel like a 15yo at a bra.

I believe that even a Skyline driver can be humbeled at the wheel by better drivers in slower cars. I saw proof of this only a few weeks ago. Mazda MX5's destroing Skylines, WRX's, M3's times for the motokana at DECA sure the conditions are better suited to the MX5, but stock for stock the MX5 was a better car against all on the day.

What is it with Skylines? It's the drivers. You prove it yourselves talking about these mad nuts in thier R33's who will drag a seagul at the drop of a hat.

Don't get me wrong, the Skyline especially a GTR is an all powerful automotive icon, but you have to admint that the reason why everyone wants a go is becasue the majority of owners are up for it.

My respect goes to the drivers who don't need to prove them selves by verbally shitting on every other car they don't currently own.

Originally posted by FINER9

I believe that even a Skyline driver can be humbeled at the wheel by better drivers in slower cars. I saw proof of this only a few weeks ago. Mazda MX5's destroing Skylines, WRX's, M3's times for the motokana at DECA sure the conditions are better suited to the MX5, but stock for stock the MX5 was a better car against all on the day.

What is it with Skylines? It's the drivers. You prove it yourselves talking about these mad nuts in thier R33's who will drag a seagul at the drop of a hat.  

Don't get me wrong, the Skyline especially a GTR is an all powerful automotive icon, but you have to admint that the reason why everyone wants a go is becasue the majority of owners are up for it.

My respect goes to the drivers who don't need to prove them selves by verbally shitting on every other car they don't currently own.

I agree with Finer9 on some of his points. True the MX5s tamed the 2 GTRs that were at that DECA day. I know coz I was there and I was driving but also as you said, the DECA was setup better to suit MX5s and other smaller more nimble cars.

As for dragging "a seagull at the drop of a hat", I must object to that. Yes, I drive a modded Skyline, but at the price of fuel these days, you have to choose your competition carefully otherwise you'll be fuelling up everyday. I'll admit it, I've done street dragging and no I have no regrets of it but it is not something I go out and do on a regular basis unlike some people.

There is so little skill involved in drag racing compared to track, especially in a GTR. The 4WD does most of the work off the line and all the driver has to do is keep the wheel straight and change gears as fast as they can. A track is where a driver will prove themselves. I know that I'm not the best driver in the World but as long as I know the limits of my car and more importantly myself, I think I'm safe. I learnt a lot during the DECA day and I highly recommend that people get out and do it just to learn how dangerous a Skyline and driving in general can be.

Originally posted by Leewah

As for dragging "a seagull at the drop of a hat", I must object to that.  Yes, I drive a modded Skyline, but at the price of fuel these days, you have to choose your competition carefully otherwise you'll be fuelling up everyday.  I'll admit it, I've done street dragging and no I have no regrets of it but it is not something I go out and do on a regular basis unlike some people.

Leewah, I know you and comments are definatly not directed at you, nor anyone here really. But, I think even you have commented on some nutball R33 drivers who'ill smoke there car up VL style any chance they get. Pointless.

Unfortunatly the reserved skyline driver is becomming a mith with so many cheap import skylines available to new inexperianced drivers ruining it for you.

Bottom line is,

1. Keep your drags to the race tracks. Racing on public roads is suicidal.

Sometime this year some idiot in a prelude wrapped himself around a pole dragging with an S15 along Springvale road.

2. Save fuel. Don't use up that premium stuff too quickly :)

(Right 'Nark? :rolleyes:)

Originally posted by inark

Porsche will beat it. The performance and handling in a 911 Turbo is more balanced than that of a GTR and it has been proven on a track in many tests with the same driver over more than 10 laps in each car and the avg lap times taken.  

Not according to Motor Mag

The 911 Turbo has constant 4wd, but a computer controls how much power goes to each WHEEL.

Normally the distribution is like 75% on the rear, 25% to the front. When things get slippery, it goes to like 60/40%.

These are just things I heard from that Tif guy from Top Gear (I have an mpeg of the 911t review).

Cheers,

Tim

Originally posted by inark

Porsche if im not mistaken is constant 4WD? and price is not what was on subject. If ur going to bring price into it u bring a whole lot more issue and queries.. a 500 dollar torana with a 6000 dollar engine built in a back yard will beat a GTR down the str8.... but thats not what we're talkin about ;)

Originally posted by FINER9

But, I think even you have commented on some nutball R33 drivers who'ill smoke there car up VL style any chance they get. Pointless.

Unfortunatly the reserved skyline driver is becomming a mith with so many cheap import skylines available to new inexperianced drivers ruining it for you.

There are nutball drivers for every make and model of car out there. Any fool who can push an accelerator will "smoke their car up VL style" if they've got a complex about it (or, like you say, are inexperinced).

The original point was, that most of the time, drivers of other vehicles think they've got something to prove to skylines. Not the other way round. Hell, I even had a guy in a Mirage want to run me a while back. I think I also remember doxx starting a thread and saying that a guy swapped positions with his gf at a set of lights for a drag!!!

Its the actual Skyline itself (and its reputation) that causes bullshit street drags, not the Skyline driver. Imagine what Ferrari drivers must put up with!

Have to disagree with some of you guys, i have a number of motoring videos in which unbiased racing drivers are put randomly into varying cars of similar calibre, and the GTR performs equally well with the Porsche turbo on every occasion. One driver even commented on why the 911 could not lose the Nissan on the back straight whilst outputing significantly more power.

Don't get me wrong, I have respect for anything on the road which is pure of purpose and designed with a focus, but I think you'll find the GTRs are more of a challenge to 911 Turbos than you think.

But..............Love 'em all.

And i agree, street racing is stupid. But I've done it, and anyone on here who loves their car and says they haven't, however small, is a dirty liar......well they might not be dirty.