SAU Community

The Wasteland - ACT Style

krzysiu

• 2 weeks later...

This made me laugh (twice)

how lucky can you be http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/01/03/11/50/rocket-hits-family-watching-fireworks-from-balcony

and this one http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/01/02/16/06/nsw-cyclists-dramatic-roadside-stack

yes I'm one of those people that dislike and or despise mamil cyclists

Edited by Sinista32

Cos i cant go 3 years without losing a point for something, so eventually i run out.

If you can, they reset your points.

Just wanted to clarify this one - you don't need to go the full 3 years without losing any points in order to get them back. Demerit points are applied (or deducted, technically) on the date of the infringement, and then 3 years after this date those points are returns to you. So as long as you don't accrue a TOTAL of 12 points (or 4, whatever licence you hold) in any 3 year period, you're fine.

So if I lose 6 points today, then another 2 points in June, I will have 4 points remaining until 14/01/2018 (assuming I don't lose any more between June and then). Comes 14/01/2018, I will have those 6 demerit points returned to my licence, leaving me with 10 points until June 2018, at which point the remaining 2 will be returned also.

I'm sure everyone knows this already, but I just thought I'd clarify a bit more :P

Just wanted to clarify this one - you don't need to go the full 3 years without losing any points in order to get them back. Demerit points are applied (or deducted, technically) on the date of the infringement, and then 3 years after this date those points are returns to you. So as long as you don't accrue a TOTAL of 12 points (or 4, whatever licence you hold) in any 3 year period, you're fine.

So if I lose 6 points today, then another 2 points in June, I will have 4 points remaining until 14/01/2018 (assuming I don't lose any more between June and then). Comes 14/01/2018, I will have those 6 demerit points returned to my licence, leaving me with 10 points until June 2018, at which point the remaining 2 will be returned also.

I'm sure everyone knows this already, but I just thought I'd clarify a bit more :P

No, your wrong.

I wish it was like you say, but it isnt.

Source, please? I've been advised by multiple RTA employees on more than one occasion, and have clarified it with them to be sure.

It most certainly ISN'T "3 years with NO loss of points", which is what you're suggesting.

For ACT:

http://www.rego.act.gov.au/infringements/demerit-points

12 or more points within a 3 year period.

Technically I was wrong in that you don't start with 12 points to lose, but you start with 0 and accumulate them until you reach 12 within ant given 3 year period. My explanation above is still correct for the purpose of this discussion.

Well if you incurred LESS than 12 points within the 3 year period beginning from the date of the first offence, then yes. You have been treated unfairly. Unless your loss of licence wasn't directly due to accruing 12 points within 3 years, and was the ruling of someone with the power to revoke it.

End of the line is that as of whatever date the information in the link above was published, I'm correct (with regards to ACT licencing at least).