SAU Community

rural 'liners

wises

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anybody see's any other Skylines and would like to tell them about this meeting, print out the attached 'flyer' and hand it to them or put it under their windscreen wiper.

I've been at Prank to design and make up some greeting, business cards that we could use for this sort of thing, but the idea is still just that at the moment, an idea. It will happen, but it needs an SAU approach with one card design, not a piecemeal effort by heaps of ppl and zillionz of types.

Jayce is on the task too here in Canberra. He's looking at Business size cards that can be left under the wiper blade of Skylines advertising that they have been spotted by an SAU member and leaving details of the site etc.. Sort of like $10 for a hundred or two. Great PR.

I think it's a top Idea to be supported by SAU, as you say on a National Basis.

If anybody see's any other Skylines and would like to tell them about this meeting, print out the attached 'flyer' and hand it to them or put it under their windscreen wiper.

I've been at Prank to design and make up some greeting, business cards that we could use for this sort of thing, but the idea is still just that at the moment, an idea. It will happen, but it needs an SAU approach with one card design, not a piecemeal effort by heaps of ppl and zillionz of types.

Gr33ddy,

I posted on the NSW and Vic section, didn't know you guys had a thread going, I posted early on it but haven't been back since, so didn't realise the growth in the SC area.

We really don't have anything to post yet, thats what the meeting on the 30th is about. Once we settle on date/s, venue, and type of function we will be posting. I'll put a link in to here on the SC thread for those interested, but it's really only a fyi at the moment.

Trident - No worries mate.. The SC thread is fairly new and our growth is very slow but hopefully more will notice and it will catch on for members livin on the SC.

Thought that we should get more of a localised thread goin as NSW is a big place afterall. It'd be good to liase with you blokes out west also.

I'll post a link on the SC thread to your thread aswell so we can keep an eye on whats goin on out your way.

:)

Yeah, We will meet up and have a look at how many people and stuff we can cater for... It could be bigger than ben hur. I missed the dinner but was in Braddon Saturday and met a few ACT guys, they seemed pretty keen to do something.  

I'd guess if we could get 50 or so (which shouldn't be that hard) we could make it cost effective. We could cater, even do a throw around for charity... Tsunami maybe??? Get the media in? Around here most days are slow news, so that shouldn't be too hard. Also would be good to get some positive press, and exposure for the club.

Media, I vote for Jane Spiteri, or Jessica Rowe.

Hi guys,

Just came back from the Nats, where i met up with Jayson, Richard and a few others. This idea is great, SAU's first National meet.

Just my opinion on a few things

- The meeting point should be kept at a 4hr travel distance from both Vic and Canberra.

Albury/Woodonga is ideal as it is 3.5hrs drive from both cities.

How far is L.H.? from Albury?

Narrandera is too far, 5.5hrs from Melb. I have driven there and back in one day for work.

- We also need to organize certain events, possibly a state Vs state competion with trophies, nothing too serious or expensive.

eg: A track Competion day at Winton (only 45min from Woodonga)

events could include; go-to-whoa, motokarna, timed laps, etc.

- Most members here a males (especially the ones that attend such events) so having a party in a remote venue will be like going to a gay bar (NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT, IT'S JUST NOT ME :) ).

These are just some of my thoughts and ideas, but we need to organise something that will encourage people to make the 4hr drive. It will have to be a full weekend event.

Keep the ball rollin' :cheers:

Alan

Hey guys,

Al,

LH is around 4ish hour from Melbourne and Sydney, around 3ish for Canberrians.

Point taken re: gay bar. Maybe anyone who brings a carful of single girls gets in for free or something :cheers:

Does anyone else have a spot based in Albury or surronds? How about near Winton (although is getting towards 5ish hours from Sydney.)

I hope some people are going to turn out for the 23rd at Narrandra, should be a great day

Hi guys,  

Just came back from the Nats, where i met up with Jayson, Richard and a few others.  This idea is great, SAU's first National meet.

Just my opinion on a few things

- The meeting point should be kept at a 4hr travel distance from both Vic and Canberra.

Albury/Woodonga is ideal as it is 3.5hrs drive from both cities.

How far is L.H.? from Albury?

Narrandera is too far, 5.5hrs from Melb.  I have driven there and back in one day for work.

- We also need to organize certain events, possibly a state Vs state competion with trophies, nothing too serious or expensive.

eg: A track Competion day at Winton (only 45min from Woodonga)

events could include; go-to-whoa, motokarna, timed laps, etc.

- Most members here a males (especially the ones that attend such events) so having a party in a remote venue will be like going to a gay bar (NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT, IT'S JUST NOT ME :) ).

These are just some of my thoughts and ideas, but we need to organise something that will encourage people to make the 4hr drive.  It will have to be a full weekend event.

Keep the ball rollin' :cheers:

Alan

WoooWoooWooo..........back up, nobody wasn't talkin' about a national event, that is way more than we were aiming for. This is just a rural 'liners day/weekend. Lets do what we can afford.

Lets crawl first, then we can walk later. I've seen events that went in big first up and loose heaps $$$$, fold and never happen again. I would rather build the event up gradually and increase catering, and venue size as participant level increased. But I'm not aiming for a national event at this stage.

LH would struggle to cater for 100-200. I was thinking more 50-100 max.

Anyway most car clubs have a roving national event, this lets everyone attend at least one or two every 5 years. IE Albury one year, Toowoomba the next, Kalgoorlie, then Alice Springs, then Dubbo, Grafton, Mildura etc etc etc. If it is a truely national event it has to be bipartisan and available for ALL members at some stage.

If anyone here has strong ideals about this then they are more than welcome to assume control and run with their dreams. I guess the meeting on the 30th will sort out the direction we are to take and who will do what and when.

Lets not overextend our abilities just yet. I urge and vote for some caution.

Al, everything you say is good, and a national event would be ideal, but it was never the intent to go that far just yet.

Anyway, if we were to plan a national event of some type, then all states would have to be involved in the planning.

How about this: SAU use the LH weekend to meet and thrash out and plan a national meeting. That way Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide etc reps could meet and get the ball rolling - effectively paggybacking on our smaller more social event.

Whew!!! Trident, I see what you mean :) As I posted earlier LH has about 60 to 80 single beds, and that seems a nice number to start with. LH could not cope with 300 cars, it may cope with the poeple, but not the cars.. also withthat many people you would want more facilities around (with that many cars someone may break down or something). Spares don't arrive for days up there either.

Hey Trident, imagine how you'd feel watching the local tow truck people scratching your pride and joy up onto a truck... Or better still towing with those hills with a ute!!!

another minor issue I was thinking with LH is where do we get feul, I can only run 98 now, and I'm sure there is some other people in the same boat. Tumut would be closest at 70+km...

Tumut is 40km from LH, there are several Premium/Ultimate/Ultra outlets. I won't need to worry about being towed. And I'll buy all breakdowns for spares.......lol.

Tumbarumba would likely have a premium outlet as well, it would be 25km away.

I thought it was just rural 'liners with a few ACT and others coming along for the party, I wasn't thinking mega show/national. A national would have to be at a large centre such as Wagga/Canberra etc [as I've already posted]. We'd all be f#*ked in LH with 300+ people, way too much work for us anyway. Commemorative badges, insurance, timetables, bankbooks for prepaids, working capital etc etc it would take 20+ people that knew what they were doing.

Eh, I'm wrong all the time 40 kms is nothing really. And I sure don't know what I'm doing :) I am going to call the people today the get prices and stuff.