SAU Community

oily turbo

skidmark

It usually would mean the seals in the turbo are worn and yes it would mean time for a rebuild.

But also, if you have the engine breather pipe connected and the pipe it joins to runs on an angle down to the turbo make sure it isnt just blow by first.

A friend of mine had oil in his turbo so pulled it off and sent it away to be rebuilt, got it back fitted it and same problem, full of oil again.

Took it back off sent it back again and it was given the all clear.

The actual problem for the oil in the turbo was not the turbo itself but his engine was on the way out and it was spewing a shit load through the breather pipe and as it connected to a pipe that was on an angle down to the turbo it all ran down to the turbo giving the false impression the turbo was cactus.

Depends how much oil?

I've had four turbo engines and all had a light layer of oil in the pipe work - quite dry though - if it's wet like it's just some out of the sump then I'd say you've got a problem.

But also, if you have the engine breather pipe connected and the pipe it joins to runs on an angle down to the turbo make sure it isnt just blow by first.

A friend of mine had oil in his turbo so pulled it off and sent it away to be rebuilt, got it back fitted it and same problem, full of oil again.

Took it back off sent it back again and it was given the all clear.

The actual problem for the oil in the turbo was not the turbo itself but his engine was on the way out and it was spewing a shit load through the breather pipe and as it connected to a pipe that was on an angle down to the turbo it all ran down to the turbo giving the false impression the turbo was cactus.

:P

• 5 years later...

Sorry to revive an old post, but during my searching I found this thread, and I think I have the same problem.

I bought some new coilpacks, and after I removed some intercooler piping I found a decent amount of wet engine oil. It's the pipe leading directly into the inlet manifold. See the attached pictures.

I've hit a bit of panic mode, but I'm not too experienced. What do you guys reckon?

Also realise that if your car is MAP sensored and you blow an intercooler pipe and then drive around for a while (to get home or something). The oil seals in the turbo will leak some oil out due to a pressure difference between the seal and the compressor housing.

Edited by PM-R33

if the cam covers vent to the intake there will always be some oil in the intake, clean it up and drive around for a week then check it again. if the turbo is blown there will be lots of oil in there again. (all cooler pipes and intercooler core)

Just checked all my intercooler pipes - they are all on pretty tight!!

Could be your rings as well mate. Have you noticed anything different in the cars driveability? loss of power, stuttering, hesitation, funny idle etc?

Any smoke come out when the cars on & warm/hot out of the oil cap?

mine is having the same issue, i installed a catch can and it helps somewhat but the only way to completely get rid of it it is to rebuild or new motor and get a good baffled catch can installed.

iogj5u.jpg

35mpc00.jpg

mine is a bit more excessive then yours tho.