SAU Community

Gearbox Oil Change

hi guys thanks for your help with my gearbox. I changed the oil and its 100%better not as much heat, no noise and smooth changes ( :

One thing that might help is that i sythened the oil in by running a pipe into the gearbox and poured the oil in the other side instead of using a pump to pump the oil in. I found this very easy

Once again thanks heaps guys ( :

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i changed my geaarbox oil on the weekend because it was crunching going into 4th at full load. put castrol vmx80, nulon addative and found about a litre of lightwieght redline oil so put that in there too.

didn't see a change staight away, but after about 200k's of driving the problem went away. now i can change into 4th at redline.

is it safe to mix oils???

Hi all.. I reckon this cold gearbox problem must be a skyline thing 'cause mine from 1st to 2nd on a cold morning is not very nice. As someone mentioned before, double clutching helps but after about 5-10mins driving around it's all sweet.

Not long ago I put Royal Purple max gear in both the gearbox and diff. It did improve my gearbox on the cold starts as it now takes less time to become smooth.. and when it is smooth it's much better than it used to be :(

Gizmo73 also used Royal Purple and he reckons it also improved his gearbox over the Redline Shockproof.

its bad to mix synthetic and mineral oils in your gearbox.

Ive been told that once you run synthetic, if you run mineral oil after, you will ruin the gear system. If you read up and do a search on it, you will understand. The synthetic oil beds into the gears, and then running mineral oil will eat away at the gears. Have a read of it, because im not 100% what it was exactly

hi guys my car produces alot of heat from under the gear stick. Do you think this is the gearbox or the exhast or sumthing? It gets quite hot after driving a while. Could it be that my trans oil is low? Any suggestions will help thank you

Mine gets hot but haven't noticed any mechanical problems well not so far anyway

its bad to mix synthetic and mineral oils in your gearbox.

Ive been told that once you run synthetic, if you run mineral oil after, you will ruin the gear system. If you read up and do a search on it, you will understand. The synthetic oil beds into the gears, and then running mineral oil will eat away at the gears. Have a read of it, because im not 100% what it was exactly

why would you use mineral???

use the synthetic stuff

if you mix 50/50 mineral and syththetic in your gearbox might not be good idea.

However if you drain all the oil out of the gearbox and refill it with either sythetic or mineral you should have no issues with oil mixing together

BUT STICK WITH SYTHETIC BETTER PROPERTIES AND LONGER LASTING

cheers

• 8 months later...

Hey i dont know if i done it correct or not.......umm, i used the fill plug, which was on the passenger side of my car to drain the oil.....i then dropped the jack down, open the bonnet, took off the dip stick, and used a funnel to fill the trans fluid into my car (auto's have the dip stick).....is this correct???as i didnt see a drain + fill plug, only the fill plug on the bottom( i guess the fill/drain are the same in autos....as its there to just drain then?)

• 4 months later...

I've tried to change the gearbox oil this weekend but could only loosen the drain plug, not the filler. Is there any other way to fill the gearbox without using the filler plug?

Nope, definately didn't drop the oil (not that silly) just checked if I could loosen them both first, was only able to get the drain plug.

PT, yep, it's manual, but what's involved in pulling out the shifter? Just unscrew the 4 screws, lift the plate/cover then fill? (measuring the quantities of course)

I'm against filling through the shifter due to the extra difficulty in measuring the amount going in and the risk of getting that stinking crap in the interior. Get a breaker bar on to the filler plug, mine was tight as a... well it was very tight and a breaker bar was needed to get it off. I then used a $10 pump bottle from supercheap to get the oil in. I also did a write up of this process if you need further info.

Cheers

nissan reckon vmx-80, i hated the shit it was too thin

im using the thickest shit available @ repco in my rb30 box, kinda shit to drive when cold, but i used the nulon manual box treatment aswell

i fill thru the shifter, just use a funnel and measure it before you tip it in

Edited by Rednisr31

Not sure what the 33 box is like but on the 32 box the reversing switch is the same height as the fill plug. I couldn't get my fill plug undone so I took the reversing switch out and used that hole to fill it instead :D

ActionDan, beleive me, I've tried to get the bloody thing out but it just won't budge!!! Measuring the quantity of oil would be easy as would using a funnel to pour it into the shifter so it looks like it's the best bet for me at the moment