SAU Community

WRX Club - Rnd 2 - Phillip Island - March 12

Snowman

Ok - Round 1 has just finished but the entry forms for Round 2 are up already. Its the only WRX event for the year at Phillip Island so I would expect the entries to fill reasonably fast.

Here the link for the entry forms:

http://www.wrx.com.au/motorsport/forms/PIentry.doc

Sup Req's

http://www.wrx.com.au/motorsport/forms/PIs...rints120305.doc

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RB20 POWAH rides again!!!!!!! :whackit::whackit::whackit::whackit::whackit:

As for accomodation, i have arranged accom for 8-10 ppl (See Post #41 for all details)

So far we have:

- Snowman +1

- Ant95GTR + 1

- Roy + 0:( .......... :boohoo: , well actually my brother may be coming, i doubt it though

- Emre

- West

- skyline_geoff

So thats 8 so far.

I miss out on Calder so do i loose points for our club competion thing ? Also PI would be my first track day ( finger cross and luck is everything i needed, everytime i prepare the cars 33gts/32gtr for track something always goes wrong :cheers: ) so if i'm too slow will they ( marshall ? ) kick me out? :D

West - you don't lose any points by missing a round. There is provisions to miss up to 2 rounds without losing any points.

Also - no one will get kicked off for going too slow. There is no such thing. Despite the fact that it is a competition there still is no pressure to perform to any level other than what you are comfortable with. Especially at a place like the Island. It is said that most people that go there never get above 7/10th's at Phillip Island. However - you can push yourself pretty hard there and its a huge buzz to do so.

The track is super long so you won't have to worry about being lapped there - and if there are some cars going past that started behind you this track is extremely wide so you can even easily get past without concern. But the best thing to do if you are worried about other cars is to start at the back. Emre did it there and it was really his first track day (appart from a couple of laps at Calder). All he did was go onto the straight at the start then pulled over to the side til everyone went past and then carried on at his own comfortable pace.

Easy.

Shall i ring to see about the holiday unti we got before?  It was cheap and a pretty good setup.

Depending on numbers we may be able to get our friends place again (the one we spent New Year's at) - will have to check though.

I think from memory there was even a granny pushing a shopping trolley that went past Emre down there.  

:mad:

That's cheeky... very cheeky.

I'll let it pass for your own benefit. :(

PI is a very fast track but with more room for error.

As long as you are cautious, you will be fine. There is nothing wrong with being cautious, as if you bugger up anywhere on the track, only thing you will damage is your pride.

IMO, dangers of motorsport comes with confidence (whether it's founded or not). As you gain confidence, you will be pushing harder and creating more chances for loss of control.

For a novice, it's best to compete with yourself, not with others.

That's cheeky... very cheeky.  

I'll let it pass for your own benefit. :mad:

PI is a very fast track but with more room for error.

As long as you are cautious, you will be fine. There is nothing wrong with being cautious, as if you bugger up anywhere on the track, only thing you will damage is your pride.  

IMO, dangers of motorsport comes with confidence (whether it's founded or not). As you gain confidence, you will be pushing harder and creating more chances for loss of control.  

For a novice, it's best to compete with yourself, not with others.

Exactly, hence my crappy times at Calder......

First few laps at Phillip Island were pretty scary, but it was only because i told myself it was going to be.:mad:

Truth be told after a few laps, as Andrew said it is very wide, so if you get a bit of understeer, or going a bit quick on entry there is plenty of black stuff to wash of corner speed by pushing wide. And because the high average speed, you have to be doing something pretty wild to be oversteering in the quick stuff:(

Anytime you are punting a car around at a reasonable speed you need to be paying attention and have enormous respect for what it takes to stop 1500kg of out of control metal. Keep that in the back of your mind and you will be fine:)

Ok boys and girls - I just realised we need to get onto this accomidation thing ASAP because the weekend of this round is a LONG WEEKEND! Thats right - so it could be quite popular down there.

Which also raises the question - do we want to stay down ther from Friday-Monday?

I will ring the unit owner this weekend to see if it is available. Between this place and Daves we shoudl be ok. Can ppl comment on liklihood of attending so that we can first be sure that we need a place with beds for 8-10ppl

west/ocean: get out there, PI is fine for first track day, thats where i did mine, i learnt a lot there. The good thing is even though the straight is fast, you don't have to brake that much before turn1, i found braking down the main straight at calder much harder to judge because you were doing 230ish down to ;)

west/ocean: get out there, PI is fine for first track day, thats where i did mine, i learnt a lot there. The good thing is even though the straight is fast, you don't have to brake that much before turn1, i found braking down the main straight at calder much harder to judge because you were doing 230ish down to :D

Oh no don't get me wrong, i always want to get out there but shit keeps on happening to me and the cars thats all. Hope i get the car back from Troy ( YELGTR ) this weekend then i would most properly can tell from then. :P