SAU Community

Faq: Apexi Powerfc - Frequently Asked Questions

paulr33

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome thread Paul. Well done.

More info than i'll ever need.

Just a thought for anyone with a blown Power FC, that is having probs getting it fixed:

The boys down at 'Access Autoworks' in Vermont, Melbourne (used to be in conjuction with 'Hypertech', who now no longer exist) may be able to help out. Only reason I say this is because i have an ECR33 Power FC currently on its way to Japan to be fixed up. It was blown when trying to install into my R32 GTS-T with RB25 transplant (Jap conversion) and wiring was up the creek.

So if you cant get one fixed, rather than throwing it out, or buying new one, give them a try.

very nice write up. very very handy.

when installing.. do u recommend warming the car up then installing the PFC or just bolting it in and warming it up with the PFC? i ask as does it need to learn its own cold start?

im about to get a 1995 R33 GTST i think they have a Series 2 engine as its a Series 1.5 so is ther a Different PFC for the series 1 and 2?

the car comes with one not installed is ther a way to verify it is the right PFC for the car?

thanks in advanced.

mark.

there is no difference between series 1, 1.5 and series 2 for PFC

33 gtst model suits all. you should warm the car, the install the powerfc and perform the self idle lean procedure (covered in the FAQ)

you should warm the car, the install the powerfc and perform the self idle lean procedure (covered in the FAQ)

I plan to install one in my mild modded GTST and run it on base maps for a month or two whilst I save up the cash for a tune. Am I gonna have problems starting it in the mornings and stuff?

thanks paulR33 its a very good read. i read nearly all of it. it doesnt mention to warm car up prior. i just assumed and asked for confirmation.

What type of fuel economy will it be like with the base map? without touching the AFR aswell? just a straight bolt on.?

thanks a bunch

mark.

I have a SAFC installed on a standard R33 GTST ECU.

Is the base map on the PFC exactly the same as the standard ECU?

Would it be a problem if I install the PFC and keep the SAFC in the car until i get it tuned?

Is there a way of copying the settings from the tuned SAFC to the PFC.

Maybe by writing all the details from the SAFC on paper and then input these settings on to the PFC.

I do not realy know or the setting options are almost the same between the SAFC and the PFC.

Thanks in advance

Gijs

thanks paulR33 its a very good read. i read nearly all of it. it doesnt mention to warm car up prior. i just assumed and asked for confirmation.

What type of fuel economy will it be like with the base map? without touching the AFR aswell? just a straight bolt on.?

thanks a bunch

mark.

fuel economy will be ok ish providing you have a working 02 sensor

I have a SAFC installed on a standard R33 GTST ECU.

Is the base map on the PFC exactly the same as the standard ECU?

Would it be a problem if I install the PFC and keep the SAFC in the car until i get it tuned?

Is there a way of copying the settings from the tuned SAFC to the PFC.

Maybe by writing all the details from the SAFC on paper and then input these settings on to the PFC.

I do not realy know or the setting options are almost the same between the SAFC and the PFC.

Thanks in advance

Gijs

no the stock map on the powerfc is not the same as the stock ecu map

it has a bit more tuning and a little bit leaner afrs probably.

when you get the pfc, remove the safc completely (and sell it).

you should not need to run both, nor is it a good idea to.

the safc is simply correction values for 20 load points, its not a complete map so no, the data is not compatible.

i was tempted to order an rb26 powerfc tonight and wire it up to my rb25 and write up a quick howto so for those looking for powerfcs on their r33 could simply follow the steps using a new rb26 PFC but i have some concerns

1) duplexing the afm input to the 2nd afm pin

2) duplexing the 02 sensor input to the 2nd afm pin (if wanted)

3) altering the injector settings to suit rb25 370cc instead of rb26 440cc (so possibly negative correction or latency??)

4) getting a working VCT setup (friend suggested buddy club device $90)

if anyone is willing or interested to work on some of these it coudl be helpful for all

Hey Paul,

Had my FC in for about 4 months now without missing a beat.

Get the occasional orange light pusle on the engine light for the standrad, reaching max levels warning. (no problem)

Today, for the first time, the engine light has lit up but stayed hard on for about 20 secs.

It happenned when coasting down off the throttle, and on another occasionally when sitting on idle.

Idle was fine, revs were fine, everything seemed as normal.

All temps, oil, all good. No other lights.

Anyone encountered this before?

Maybe a faulty sensor? (i hope)