SAU Community

Faq: Apexi Powerfc - Frequently Asked Questions

paulr33

Hi Paul,

Got a question that I'm hoping you'll be able to answer for me. Would late model R33 GTS-T's (post sep 97, early 98) use exactly the same PowerFC as the earlier model R33 GTS-T's?

My reason for this question is related to the change in CAS on the late model 33's. I've basically got a set of "series 2" Tomei Poncams with an R34 CAS to match. I'm now wondering if this CAS will work with the ECR33 PowerFC that I soon plan to install.

If all PowerFC's for the ECR33 were the same then in theory it should work as the post sep97 r33's came out with the different (r34 style) CAS. *fingers crossed*

Thanks!

P.S. I have called a couple of tuners and they're not sure either.

hi damuscat,

The R33 uses the same model PFC wether the car is 1993 or 1998 R33 (inclusive).

They all use and run the same stock ecu (map changes however) but its the same control unit.

The 98 R33 that uses the R34 CAS runs the same logic and controls so its fine with a normal R33 PFC.

I know of a 1998 R33 in melbourne that runs a normal R33 PowerFC fine with no issues.

hi damuscat,

The R33 uses the same model PFC wether the car is 1993 or 1998 R33 (inclusive).

They all use and run the same stock ecu (map changes however) but its the same control unit.

The 98 R33 that uses the R34 CAS runs the same logic and controls so its fine with a normal R33 PFC.

I know of a 1998 R33 in melbourne that runs a normal R33 PowerFC fine with no issues.

Awesome! That'll save me a lot of trouble. Thanks for the lightning quick response too! :(

• 3 weeks later...

Updated today

added rx7 injectors to injector change table

corrected a version mismatch which brought back the old incorrect injector change calculation text ( but the math was correct )

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a PFC With a tune on it already.

I tried playing around with it but made my car worst than it was already.

I know it needs a prof tune but i want to attempt to make it work first.

Fuel is my main issue at the moment. I played around with Accel. Inj Time. No idea what it was. Whatever it did, the car doesn't even idle properly anymore. It just goes up and down on the rev gauge but staying under 1000. It wants to cut off but doesn't.

Also, it wont go any higher than 3000rpm. but on the way up there it just rumbles and doesn't do it very smoothly.

Before i mucked it up the revs climbed smoothly but once i let it go and it went under 1000rpm and would sink and almost turn off but would steady itself in a few more seconds.

Any ideas what section i should look at?

Pitty there is no english version of the manual.

Thanks in advance.

At 1st glance, sounds like you've selected the wrong AFM.

Check that setting first...assuming you know which AFM you do have,

Also, if you don't understand what the injection timing is for, stop what you are doing right now ! Seriously.

Best would be to reset all the settings and go and get it tuned.

Resetting it will make it more than drivable as long as you take into account and basic mods like injectors or AFM's etc.

Just purchased a PFC With a tune on it already.

I tried playing around with it but made my car worst than it was already.

I know it needs a prof tune but i want to attempt to make it work first.

Fuel is my main issue at the moment. I played around with Accel. Inj Time. No idea what it was. Whatever it did, the car doesn't even idle properly anymore. It just goes up and down on the rev gauge but staying under 1000. It wants to cut off but doesn't.

Also, it wont go any higher than 3000rpm. but on the way up there it just rumbles and doesn't do it very smoothly.

Before i mucked it up the revs climbed smoothly but once i let it go and it went under 1000rpm and would sink and almost turn off but would steady itself in a few more seconds.

Any ideas what section i should look at?

Pitty there is no english version of the manual.

Thanks in advance.

hi,

what are you trying to achieve?

have you juts got and installed the powerfc?

ok ive just re-read it, using someone else's tune is a bad idea and great way to kill your engine

its not idling properly as the tune is from someone else's car

the first thing you should do is follow the correct install procedure (in the faq) and reset the powerfc

the tune on it is useless and you should start from scratch. this will make it idle correctly then you can get it tuned

Hey Guys!

I have an Apexi Power FC in my Gizza. (sorry not a skidline)

I always have a knock of 1 on idle, but may max know under full acceleration is usually below 10.

Max knock i ever had was 64, when a did a super shit gear change :)

I just wondering what sort of figures your Hand controllers give you?

THanks ,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys i need some help i have a POWER FC for my evo 6

and i also ordered the WRONG boost controler kit for it

now is it posible to re wire this controler to work with the power fc? like just the end plug?

or will i have to swap it with some one?

Hi Paul, a similar question to the above:

A friend has the Power FC boost controller kit for the R32 GTR. I have a GTST R33. Will I be able to use his kit with my PFC?

Hi Paul, a similar question to the above:

A friend has the Power FC boost controller kit for the R32 GTR. I have a GTST R33. Will I be able to use his kit with my PFC?

this will depend on the # of pins on the socket and your powerfc

both should have the 5 pin kit but check (there is also the 3 pin kit)

the socket next to the hand controller port is either 5 or 3 pin

check what yours has (should be 3) then check what he has (should be 3 also)

if they are both the same (either 3 or 5 pin) then its fine and direct fit

Just installed the PFC this morning but i had problems during the initial stages when i first start up my car. Based on FAQ, i let it idle the 1st 10 mins without any problems then when i switch on the Aircon, the engine started to hunt up & down non stop. I check the sensors to see what was wrong but no problem indicators was shown. When the aircon was switch off, the idling was perfectly normal. I tried to initialize it then doing the same routine few times but still have rev hunting with a/c on. The engine felt like the a/c is cutting in/out continuously.

Then i realize that previously my mechanic told me about my idling valve needs changing because the screw to adjust cannot be turn due to the plastic gone all flat. I change it immediately (2nd hand) and Voila! it runs like a dream now. No hunting whatsoever. Did a 15 mins idle then then turn the A/C on and took it for a blast. Currently happy with the base map and will do a proper tune once i get the Datalogit software.

Hope this would help those who has problems during installation time.

Edited by driftmeister

its in the powerfc ask for the special tricks section

one of the rx7 guys did it

why do you mean it's in power fc? do i need to go to rx7 forum? or there is a tread in here for special tricks?

why do you mean it's in power fc? do i need to go to rx7 forum? or there is a tread in here for special tricks?

sorry i mean its in the powerfc

as in the screen part # and how to do it

have a look

(url is in this thread first page or my signature)