SAU Community

Skyline GTR Video

I've just seen the Best Motoring GTR prodigy video which has a comparison between:

R32 GTR

R33 GTR

R34 GTR - freshened up.

Evo

Sti

V35 Skyline

all others still stock.

They tested them on some japanese race track with race car drivers, the v35 started in pole. It was very interesting how the field ran, r34 won just over sti?evo then the r33 then the v35 and then the good old r32.

I was surprised how well the v35 went, no turbo or 4wd to help and this car is supposed to be lower spec than a 350z, missing out on under chassis bracing and other goodies. The r32 was the oldest car and was stock albeit in good condition and supposed to be representative of what you would be get if you bought one now. It could have easily done better with some basic mods or maybe even with a refreshen to new specs but as a stock car comparison the test was quite interesting.

Even tho the r32 is old technology I still expected it to come before the V35, 4wd and turbo should be good enough to beat a normally aspirated 2wd with the same hp.

All in all it bodes well for the next GTR, if they have the suspension set up better than the v35 and a turbo and 4wd the performance and handling is going to be amazing...

Stephen

Ay, Just a few points to add to what you said;

The R34 featured in the dvd was the GTR V-Spec2 Nur which I think is the car developed by the Nissan factory in Nurburgring, Germany. Not entirely sure about the specs but pretty sure the Sti is still faster.

(If anyone else knows more on this topic feel free to correct me :rofl: )

The reason I think the Sti came second is because early on the WRX got stuck behind the R33 in the first lap, then had a dogfight with the EVO8 till the end of the race. I you watch the dvd closely they state that the Rexxie clocked the fastest lap time to catch up with the EVO an the R34

Regarding the R32 it was apparently the only car on the track that didn't have an oil cooler fitted.

hope that cleared some things up for ya :headspin:

• 1 year later...

yep, got the dvd of that one - its tsukuba by the way.

and yeah the 32 suffered a little, but given its at least 15 years old, and everything else was less than 3 years old, i'm pretty chuffed. they say they picked it up out of a used car lot and raced it as is... !

throw a few basic mods at the 32, ie oil cooler, baffled sump, derestrict the turbos (remove little brass thingamy from boost control line - gives extra 6psi)...

and you'll still have heaps of spare change left compared to the pruchase price of any of the others... yep - still a winner for me.

brakes would be my major worry. other than that... : )

but then i'm biased - i own one.

• 1 month later...
Ay, Just a few points to add to what you said;

The R34 featured in the dvd was the GTR V-Spec2 Nur which I think is the car developed by the Nissan factory in Nurburgring, Germany. Not entirely sure about the specs but pretty sure the Sti is still faster.

(If anyone else knows more on this topic feel free to correct me :rofl: )

The reason I think the Sti came second is because early on the WRX got stuck behind the R33 in the first lap, then had a dogfight with the EVO8 till the end of the race. I you watch the dvd closely they state that the Rexxie clocked the fastest lap time to catch up with the EVO an the R34

Regarding the R32 it was apparently the only car on the track that didn't have an oil cooler fitted.

hope that cleared some things up for ya :headspin:

Haven't seen the video but if we're talking factory performance, the R34 GTR Vspec2 Nur would be at least as quick as the WRX sti, and probably quicker I'd imagine. The GTRs have always had 0-100 times around 4.8 - 5.0 seconds, and the Vspec2 nur is improved on this. The Sti has always been around 4.9s or thereabouts. So either way it would be a very close match performance wise. Cant say which is the better performance round a track but I'd still lean towards the GTR with superior AWD technology and a million other gizmos to improve handling and traction.

Not saying the Sti is bad, we all know its not.

Anyone know what the Ztune is like compared to Vspec2?

Haven't seen the video but if we're talking factory performance, the R34 GTR Vspec2 Nur would be at least as quick as the WRX sti, and probably quicker I'd imagine. The GTRs have always had 0-100 times around 4.8 - 5.0 seconds, and the Vspec2 nur is improved on this. The Sti has always been around 4.9s or thereabouts. So either way it would be a very close match performance wise. Cant say which is the better performance round a track but I'd still lean towards the GTR with superior AWD technology and a million other gizmos to improve handling and traction.

Not saying the Sti is bad, we all know its not.

One major point, the STi is lighter.

• 2 weeks later...

great video

If we disabled the four wheel drive on those cars I think there may have been some embarrassing results for the GTR's, STI and Evo when compared to the V35

(but as they say, if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle)

Bodes well for the new GTR if things have improved that much

From what I have read, the Z tune is capable of 0-100km/h in around 3seconds and can do a standing 1/4 mile in 10.02seconds

For $170,000US you would expect it to perform, but that is mind blowing, and with only 20 ever built it is by far the car i would want more than any other (veyron excluded). What i would do to even see one... :)