SAU Community

Getting my car out of the docks

Rowdyr32

I was wondering what I have to do to get my car out of the docks. It arrived on saturday so hopefully it clears customs by the end of the week. My importer said that they would organise to have my car delivered where ever I want but I want to know if any of you have gone and picked up the car yourselfs.

One option is to get the car myself if I get temp reg.. How long does it take once I get there to actually drive away with the car.

Or the other option is to try and get Jack to pick it up if he is isn't booked up so my front lip doesn't get trashed. Does anybody have his ph no?

Can't wait to get it out on the track for a thrash!

I went through this last year with mine mate. I dont think you are actually allowed to the docks unless the procedure is different for RORO (mine was in a container). I had to have a clearance company take it to quarantine before I was allowed near it. I did stipulate that I was to open the container though.

I had it trailored to a compliance shop and then sorted a temp reg for it so I could drive it between places of compliance.

Probably not much help!

I also have the number of a guy who flat bedded mine. He was $70 anywhere in Melbourne.

I drove my GTR home from the Patrick's Terminal just near the West Gate bridge. There are a few things to be aware of:

- they won't let you into the area unless you have all the correct paperwork (clearances from your Customs broker).

- you can't drive into the area. They have a mini-bus that picks you up at the main gate and delivers you to the car storage area. It's not actually too far BUT if your car needs work (eg flat battery like in my case) then you have to carry tools, etc to the car and that can be a pain.

- if your sure your car will start and be OK to drive, then it's a relatively simple process (arrive at main gate; sign paperwork/hand over drivers licence; get bused to car; drive car back to main gate; get licence back; drive home :))

- Make sure you arrange an unreg vehcle permit from Vicroads. Costs around $40 for a week or around $60 for 28 days. Make sure you display the permit on the windscreen or dash before taking the car on the road.

It all comes down to whether you think the car will start/drive OK on the day. If it's been in storage for awhile in Japan, chances are high the battery will be flat.

I went down to pick mine up straight from the docks/transport depot - all I needed was the import approval form and my shipping consignment note and I drove away. Mine was also sitting in the yard and I rang and they said it would take 4-5 days for delivery, I'm like... it's only 30k's away... see you in 45min.

Gareth - be more than happy to tow your car from the docks, my no. is 0419877437..

When you go down to Patrick's make sure you have:

- Delivery order/ Shipping consignment note

- Import approval

- Quarantine release (if it passes quarantine then you can tow it home, if it doesn't then it gets towed to somewhere to get it steam cleaned/ remove quarantine risk material...)

Make sure you have this paperwork otherwise you'll be going there for nothing!!! They're really strict and pricks about it if you don't have the required paperwork...

By the way what car is it???

Hey hey Rowdy, very nice, it's here! :P

Hopefully it'll be somewhere i can have a squiz at it when I'm back in Melb over Anzac long weekend.

Now that i think about it, you got your GTST when i was living in Adelaide last, maybe i should skip back over here more often. Who knows what you'll get next time? :(

I want to get the car to my house first so I can swap over the wheels and a few other parts so I can clean them up whilst it is being engineered. Its just an 89 gtr with hks forged pistons and either r33 or 34 N1 turbos. Hopefully its a good street/ track package.

Thanks for your input guys

I...Its just an 89 gtr with hks forged pistons and either r33 or 34 N1 turbos....

:talk2hand

Betrayed by another former member of the brotherhood :)

Congrats on the new car...have you moved the old buss yet?