SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

Hankook Ventus V12 EVO in 215/45R17 (fronts only)

Cost: $206ea

Dry Handling: Holds on really well through the corners, not much noise at all. Can't really compare to many other tyres as these were pretty much the first set on my 17"s.

Wet Handling: Also very good. Not much understeer through corners and actually grip really well, suprisingly.

I can't really give a proper rating since I haven't had much to compare to in performance tyres, but I would definately get another set of these.

• 4 weeks later...
lol...Federals in the wet... better be paying attention!

in the dry they grip okay if you want to go in a straight line... forget about corners... make lots of smoke though:)

michelin pilot sports get my vote, even when secondhand they run rings around the Federals (thanks ZigenGT)

i agree the federal 595 SS are not that great. not too bad in the dry (6/10) but quite crap in the wet (4.5/10) mainly coz i think they hav quite a hard compound rubber but they do last quite a long time and are great for drifting and burnouts and they r fairly cheap. the federal 595 RS tires are awsome (265/35/18) 423hp at the wheels and no wheelspin in 2nd gear and only a bit in first and very grippy in the wet too. for $325 a tire im definately not complaining id say dry (8.5/10) wet (8/10)

The 595RS-R grips best when it is at 60 - 80C on the tread face, normally you wouldnt be able to generate that kind of heat on the street (unless you were driving very hard for a long time on a hot day).

However, compared to normal street tyres the 595RS-R will provide much more dry traction even when cold.

I use the RS-R's for street and track use and I dont think I will be able to go back to street tyres now, there is just so much grip available with them fitted to my Skyline... If you want extreme traction for the street you would be very happy with a set of 595RS-R's.

BTW - I have managed to get 30,000kms+ from a set of 595RS before - which goes to show that you can get good mileage from them. :P

i agree 595 RS will chop a 595 SS in grip no matter wat.

Edited by daineisdabomb

Got a choice between Federal 595SS or Toyo T1R in 225/50R16's for my new GTR..

Mainly for daily driven road use for now.. May see a track day later on if I haven't gone for larger rims by then.

Which one should I go for? Or much of a muchness. Price difference isn't too much between them. Both seem to be fairly favoured on here.

T1R for sure!! although they r probably a bit more expensive than the feds. softer compound i recon n awsome grip

Kumho KU31 (Previously owned)

225/40R18

Dry Handling 7/10

Wet Handling 7/10

Value 8.5/10

A good mid-range tyre that suited road use fine and are great for a car without too much power. They got a tad noisy but value for money you can't really go past them.

Ling Long somethings (Put on to get compliance, not my choice!)

Dry Handling 3.5/10

Wet Handling 1.5/10

Value 3/10

I guess you get what you pay for. Extremely hard compund, noisy and very little grip. Also hard to balance. The very next day after I got my car I took it into work and had to get them balanced again. It took a good balance from a very good balancing machine (Hunter Road Force) before I could get them to spin up nicely.

When I get some new wheels/tyres I will either be upgrading to Toyo Proxes R-1R's or Pirelli PZero Rosso's (Depending on what I can get the Pirellis for).

LING LONG, the name says it all lol.

Hey guyz can anyone tell me how these tyres are because i have to go for a track day in 2 weeks and need to decide on tyres.. The only reason is i have a tight budget and cant be spending to much.. ->DUNLOP LM702

If anyone knows of any good tyres that i could just use for the track day and something thats not to expensive please let me know!!

Hankook Ventus Sport (K104)

Dry: 6/10

Wet: 7/10

Value: 9/10

These tyres are just value for what you pay for. I did lose alot of traction though when putting the foot down until third gear. I paid around $200 at the time for 17s.

Hankook R-S2

Dry: 7/10

Wet: 8/10

Value: 8/10

Pretty much like the K104 but alot better traction - tends to chirp more than lose traction. These tyres are more to my liking for someone that only uses the car to get from A to B with a rare splash now and then. I paid $260 for 17s.

Toyo T1-R

Dry: 8/10

Wet: 9/10

Value: 7/10

Damn these were expensive, but I have to say that you really get what you pay for because these are fantastic! Honestly though, I would get cheaper tyres as I'm no racer and I don't drive around town like a hoon so all this great grip does nothing for me. I paid $450 for 19s.

i agree 595 RS will chop a 595 SS in grip no matter wat.

im running 595RS, 235/45 all round. so no huge grip on the rear.

on the track they grip up 1-2 laps before the guys running r comp tyres. so your right up the back of those guys until they grip up.

been to philip island twice and both times it has pisssssled down. the tyres amazed me, there is no way i could turn into turn one at the same speed

with normal street tyres.

done 7'ish days so far on these tyres. the center grooving has heaps on meat left. the outer grooving is wearing, to the point now were you cant really

see the outer grooving. (not running enough camber and the tyre is rolling over on the fronts.). have been rotating and swapping the rubber on the rims.

Yea car is used on weekends and for motorkhana's, drags, hill climbs etc. I know RS-Rs would be great for these events but they also need to do about 5000 ks per year on the road.

I will have a look into the rt615's. i was quoted 310$ per tyre for 255/35/18's for the RS-R's which is the size i need. I dont think that is a bad price?

Tim.

R32 GTS-T

Falken Ziex

235/45/R17

Did not like these one bit, cheap at $170 per wheel

Front end was bouncing all over the road, not much grip on the rears at all in the wet or dry.

I had some fun times running these on the rear while they turned to slicks lol i strongly do not advise !!!

Wet 4/10

Dry 5/10

Toyo T1R's

Ohh baby ive had these on the rears for around 1yr and they still have meat left on em, and still grip quite well :(:P

Wet 8/10

Dry 9/10

Next tire is going to be the Toyo R1R's on rear at 245/45/R17 in the coming weeks.

While i rotate those bad boy T1R's to the front :P @ 235/45/R17

• 2 weeks later...

anyone on the big car forums have good Toyo deals? these T1r's sound good.

How would people rate/compare the

Federal 595 RS-R to the KU36? - In the boat of mostly street, with 2-3 track days a year (grip, not drift or drag)

Edited by SS8_Gohan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, do you know how to improve braking & handling?

When I stop from 100kms to 30kms in short distance, the tail shake left & right and unstable.

Any ways to improve body stable?

Also, what is the best tyres for track racing for 19"?

ANG32