SAU Community

R32 GTR...weighing up some costs!

I have a few questions about costs of some things that can be faulty in a GTR...I have no idea about them and would like to know what a replacement will cost before I go out and buy one soon...

ok heres what I have on top of my head, but if I missed anything please let me know :mad:

Water Pump

Timing Belt

Other Belts (AC, PS, Fan Belt...)

Fuel Pumps (front and rear)

Are the above things easy enough to replace, or should they be done professionally?

Then theres some other things:

Oil Filter

Brake Pads

Spark Plugs & Leads

Battery (whats the standard CCA for a GTR?) (I have a 500CCA Optima, that should be good, right!)

Is it easy enough to find a BOSS kit for a steering wheel for a GTR?

:P

Tom

there's only one fuel pump...cost depends on what you want. A Bosch 040 or 044 will set you back around $350 or so...

Water pump is around $200 from Nissan if I'm not mistaken

Oil filters are cheap, say around $15-$20

There are no spark plug leads in a Skyline

The Optima is fine, I have a D34M

Crank collar for oil pump drive

cost?

there's only one fuel pump...cost depends on what you want. A Bosch 040 or 044 will set you back around $350 or so...

Water pump is around $200 from Nissan if I'm not mistaken

Oil filters are cheap, say around $15-$20

There are no spark plug leads in a Skyline

The Optima is fine, I have a D34M

no spark plug leads!....hmm, well ya learn something new everyday :P

come to think of it , I have never actually seen any in pictures etc...

Water Pump

Timing Belt

Other Belts (AC, PS, Fan Belt...)

Fuel Pumps (front and rear)

Are the above things easy enough to replace, or should they be done professionally?

genuine water pump is $300+ from Nissan, timing belt is around $90. Best do both at the same time and unless you know what your doing it would be better to have it done or at least get some help from someone that does (eg crank pulley bolt is done up to around 250ftlb's and getting it undone is a bitch even with the right tools).

Other belts can be bought aftermarket (Burson's etc), probably $15-$20 each.

There's only one fuel pump - in the tank

1 fuel pump....

I was just told by a mate that there was 2....maybe he was talking about another car (is there a car with 2 fuel pumps)

thanks so far guys :P

genuine water pump is $300+ from Nissan, timing belt is around $90.  Best do both at the same time and unless you know what your doing it would be better to have it done or at least get some help from someone that does (eg crank pulley bolt is done up to around 250ftlb's and getting it undone is a bitch even with the right tools).

Other belts can be bought aftermarket (Burson's etc), probably $15-$20 each.

There's only one fuel pump - in the tank

Genuine Nissan water pump is $132 including gst .

The crank pulley bolt is very easy to undo using the starter method .

If you dont know what you are doing you should let the pros do it , it will cost you heaps more if you stuff up.

Timing belt from Nissan is about $80 , half that for aftermarket , drive belts are all less than $20 each atermarket .

Spark plugs depends on what you buy , about $13 each for platinum .

Coil packs from about $650 per set .

Genuine Nissan water pump is $132 including gst .

Genuine R32 GTR pump is close to 3 times that ....suggest you re-check your price with Nissan (I have...and I get these for trade). R33 GTR pump is around that price, BUT it doesn't fit R32 GTR without mods which are beyond the capabilities of most. Could be fitted without the mods but would risk a leak....

As for using the starter motor...I don't agree with such dodges, but am not going to argue about it...to each there own. At the end of the day you've still got to do it up again.....

I was just told by a mate that there was 2....maybe he was talking about another car (is there a car with 2 fuel pumps)

VL Commode has 2 pumps....an in tank 'lift' pump plus an external high pressure pump, but R32, R33's etc only have one.

Don't buy a GTR if you're scared of spending money... :P

not scared, but dreading and compensating by knowing how much it might be :)

stuff can go wrong with any car, Ive already spent a good $3000+ fixing my TX3....

Genuine R32 GTR pump is close to 3 times that ....suggest you re-check your price with Nissan (I have...and I get these for trade).    R33 GTR pump is around that price, BUT it doesn't fit R32 GTR without mods which are beyond the capabilities of most.   Could be fitted without the mods but would risk a leak....

As for using the starter motor...I don't agree with such dodges, but am not going to argue about it...to each there own.   At the end of the day you've still got to do it up again.....

Yea you are correct thats for a 33 or 34 pump , i wouldn't pay $300 for a 32 .

The starter is a good way to undo the bolt , i use a 3/4 " rattle gun where possible to undo and a ring gear tool to hold the engine from turning to do it up if the engine is out .

coil packs sit over the spark plugs, thats why they don't have leads

I got a N1 water pump for my GTST when I had it brand new for 150 from just jap, give them a call and ask how much, I have my receipt at home for the GTR one somewhere, I'll look it up, I don't think it would have been that much different

Services every 5-7K (finding time is hard)

Oil $40-$50 ? I'm about to do my first one so if someone can suggest a brand it would be great

Spark plugs $3.75 each from peps. NGK copper 7's

Filter $10-$15 depending on brand

Does anyone else drive there GTR daily? I'm finding I'm racking up alot of km's, more then when I had my GTST

mark

Does anyone else drive there GTR daily? I'm finding I'm racking up alot of km's, more then when  I had my GTST

mark

Does 'nightly' count? After 11:30pm until about 1am or I see enough cop cars and decide to go home. But I've only had my GTR for 2 weeks.

Does 'nightly' count?  After 11:30pm until about 1am or I see enough cop cars and decide to go home.  But I've only had my GTR for 2 weeks.

lucky bastid :(

can't wait to get mine and go for a cruise...with mates or to a SAUWA one, TPC, PPCC etc.