SAU Community

R32 GTR Rattle at shut off

Godzilla32

Hey guys, im after a few opinions from you guys that have had alot of experience with RB26's. When i shut mine off ther is a breif rattling right when everything comes to a stop. Ive been told it doesnt sound normal. Anyone else have this noise? If not wat would it be? I know ther must be lots of things it could be. I have my turbo's off at the moment and im about to remove the throttles for the 3rd time (chasing a high idle) So while its apart, if it'll make it easier where should i look first? It seems to come from the driverside of the engine...

Regards,

Deren

Godzilla32,  

I have the same rattle. Its like 3 quick medium *tink tink tink* Hope its not terminal

- M

Yeah i think we have the same issue. I really wanna work out wat it is, it frustrates me! Wouldnt be CV joints as the car is at standstill..They cant make a noise if they arent moving...

Any ideas guys?

nah mine are stock turbos ... It only last for a second..nearly sounds like a chain rattling but as far as im aware there are no chains in an rb26 are there? maybe its a gearbox noise?? Ive been told to use a stethescope to listen to each bit separately while its shut off repetedly

er, could be anything... starter motor is down there, maybe it has slightly loose bearings or something. You could also let the clutch out whilst in gear and see when it stalls whether it still makes the noise.

For the high idle.. might want to look at this if you haven't already: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=69151 - I am pretty sure all RB engines have the same air regulator system?

Thanks heaps guys. My clutch is stock but very worn out so maybe it is that...It seems to be getting louder since i first got teh car..Then again im not even sure if it used to make the noise at all...

When the engine shuts off (in any car) the whole car vibrates, so whatever is metal near metal is causing the noise. I wouldnt worry about it. Because one of my cv joints has collapsed and you can hear the metal scraping the metal on some bumps (sounds similar) my theory is its my CV Joints. I'm getting them replaced soon and we'll see. :D