SAU Community

would you pay a $500 deposit to test drive a car?

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can understand people wanting a deposit - but just quietly I don't walk around the streets with over $500 in my pocket when test driving.. i don't trust anyone in sydney.. if I don't have to take out $500 to test drive a car - i won't.. i'll go somewhere else if they want it - if someone wants the right car they are going to be prepared to wait, and hence walk away from it..

pentae your looking from a sellers perspective, i'm looking from a buyers..

in regards to dealers - any that want a deposit, won't usually be prepared to take you for a drive, usually they are worried your a) going to steal the car off them B) your wasting their time..

as for private, unfortunately I don't know about selling a car yet - only about buying.. not having a go - just giving you my thoughts..

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know about you, but if someone has a car that i'm seriously interested in buying, for the price I want, a refundable deposit of any amount is absolutely no problem. $500 is a bit steep yes, maybe for something like an r34 gtr like someone else said.. I think 1% is fair.

50k car, $500 deposit

5k car, $50 deposit

i think alot of you guys have missed a key word here DEPOSIT!!!!

not a $500 payment,im assuming you get the $500 back.

a couple of years ago i test drove an R34 GTR from a dealership,i left $5000 deposit.

i had his $125'000 car,he wasnt going to loose the money!!!

surely if your serious about buying a car,you would at least bring a deposit,if not the whole amount with you,so who cares who holds it!!

if you did damage the car $500 would be the least of your worries.

a couple of years ago i test drove an R34 GTR from a dealership,i left $5000 deposit.

i had his $125'000 car,he wasnt going to loose the money!!!

surely if your serious about buying a car,you would at least bring a deposit,if not the whole amount with you,so who cares who holds it!!

if you did damage the car $500 would be the least of your worries.

if tis a deposit, then do you get a receipt before you take it for a drive then too??

i would NOT hand over $500 to someone i didn't know, even if they said they would give it back.. what if they are gone when i get back, or waiting with a baseball bat saying "now thanks for the $500 and take off mate" ???

its not a forum out there, real world rules apply...

wazr32gtst....they are handing their car over to you.... to someone they dont even know, or ever seen drive... you want real world?? what if you let someone drive, and they kidnapped you or something, they just kept driving, took you round to their mates place or something... just coz your in the passenger seat, theres not alot you can do.

its for serious buyers only, if your not serious, your not gonna hand over the money and you dont want the car.

ill let people test drive mine... its not that quick... a 300rwkw example though... that breaks traction real easy and slams you back in the seat... i would not let people drive.

cheers

Linton

$500 cash is a lot of money to be carryin around when going for a test drive. A single note like a $100 bill or a $50 bill would be proof enough that the person's legit and not just a dreamer. Personally I don't let anyone drive any of my cars until they own it. I'll take them for a drive to show them how the car drives, and how the engine sounds through the rev range, and maybe a couple of corners to show how the car feels when cornering, but that's about it. If they say "give it some boot" I tell em to buy the car and boot it in their own time.

Shan thats a bit rough mate.. people dont buy performance cars because of their lovely interior.. they want to know how quick the thing is!

True, if I wanted to buy a performance car, i'd wanna give it a quick squirt, 0-100 maybe?

Thank you!

I'm glad someone said it.

Somepeople are a tad thick i think. :confused:

Anyways, why don't you ask for proof of money.

ie..

1) a bank statement showing the cash ready for payment

2) or a approval statement from the finance company

No way would i let anyone in the car if they weren't even approved yet.

Good luck!

so many people on here seem to not know what DEPOSIT means.

i would never buy a car that i haven' t driven. thats why i didn't import, even though i would've saved a few grand. that little saving could ahve been a huge headache in the end!

when i took my baby for a testdrive at the dealership. i gave it to her good.......real good :D only to see if she was capable and everything was in working order. when i took her home a week or so later the owner of the dealership said i scared his employee shitless!!! haha he was an old guy probably in his 50's or so. My dad got a little scared too, on the way home. he doen't like getting in the car with me till now. it's not like im a wreckless driver or anything! he just isn't used to a car hitting full boost. mum doesn't like it either. i try and keep it tame when she's with me. (after accidently stepping it out turning a corner due to a bit of sand on the road. she thought we were going to stack it for sure! lucky im a wanna be drifter. i'm nowhere near good, but i aint totaly shit either.)

No way!

Iv'e sold a few cars and there are always the test pilots but you just have to be firm - always go with them and most of the time i make them be a passenger - if they are still interested then they can have a drive.

I once went and looked at a Suzuki GSXR600 and the guy wanted $3000 cash (refundable) for me to ride it - pfft yeah right - look at it from the buyers point of view, why would I (the buyer) hand over ANY amount of cash to some guy I have just met out of the trading post, for all i know it may be a stolen car and when i get back from the test drive you are long gone.

I have bought and sold sevral performance cars and the following applies.

If you are buying:

Respect the seller, ask them to take you for a drive. if you are still interested tell them you are interested in the car and offer a small deposit to drive it with them in the car. (50 or 100) dont thrash it, its not yours yet.

if you are selling:

take your time sussing the buyer, ask themif they have had a fast car before, most of the time they are so stoked to see your car they will anser anything you ask them.

let them ask for a test drive dont offer it. take them for a drive and dont overly push the car dont spin the wheels. this shows you respect your own property. drive back to the place where you met them, ask them if they are interested in your car if they say yes, and express interest in driving it. Explain to them you are weary of letting others drive your car as you have had joyriders and they can drive it if they are genuinely interested. but no silly driving. take down their lisence details, take them on a good long drive (20 min) this will give them a feel for the car.

by that stage they will have made their mind up about the car.

I have had a joyrider i did not pick untill they were behind the wheel he was like 45 well dressed, and made it sound like he wanted the car ASAP.

I let him behind the wheel and he drove normally for a while and then off the lights he dumped the clutch and readlined it in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. we were going 120kmph almost sideways. I yelled for him to slow down he didnt really let up. I yelled slow down!!!!!!! again. he did. and i asked him to pull over. I got in the drivers seat and i was shocked. I drove him back to his car fuming, he just didnt get it.

when we got back, I let him out, locked my car in the garage and said to him "the car is not for sale to an idiot like you" and went inside.

he drove off. never heard from him again.

I acted like that to prevent me from loosing my temper and hitting him...

anyway thats my rant...

I have bought and sold sevral performance cars and the following applies.

If you are buying:

Respect the seller, ask them to take you for a drive. if you are still interested tell them you are interested in the car and offer a small deposit to drive it with them in the car. (50 or 100) dont thrash it, its not yours yet.

if you are selling:

take your time sussing the buyer, ask themif they have had a fast car before, most of the time they are so stoked to see your car they will anser anything you ask them.

let them ask for a test drive dont offer it. take them for a drive and dont overly push the car dont spin the wheels. this shows you respect your own property. drive back to the place where you met them, ask them if they are interested in your car if they say yes, and express interest in driving it. Explain to them you are weary of letting others drive your car as you have had joyriders and they can drive it if they are genuinely interested. but no silly driving. take down their lisence details, take them on a good long drive (20 min) this will give them a feel for the car.

by that stage they will have made their mind up about the car.  

I have had a joyrider i did not pick untill they were behind the wheel he was like 45 well dressed, and made it sound like he wanted the car ASAP.

I let him behind the wheel and he drove normally for a while and then off the lights he dumped the clutch and readlined it in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. we were going 120kmph almost sideways. I yelled for him to slow down he didnt really let up. I yelled slow down!!!!!!! again. he did. and i asked him to pull over. I got in the drivers seat and i was shocked. I drove him back to his car fuming, he just didnt get it.

when we got back, I let him out, locked my car in the garage and said to him "the car is not for sale to an idiot like you" and went inside.

he drove off. never heard from him again.

I acted like that to prevent me from loosing my temper and hitting him...

anyway thats my rant...

Should of hit him......

Id pay the money for the test drive.but only after i have been for a lap with the owner first would i then have my go.Just call it a security thing on both peoples parts.

If i am serious about buing a car i would most definently put a deposit down.

That said,If you dont lilke the car then get your money back off him.And if you do like it then the $500 can be taken off the total price at the completion of the purchase.:rofl:

To the deposit advocates:

Guys I still don't understand the point of the deposit. If you haven't created a written contract, then there is really no way to assure yourself you'll see any deposit money again.

Will the deposit always be refunded in full? Or are you detailing things like:

Chirp wheels $100

rev engine over 6000RPM $150

etc.

:confused: Is the plan to keep some of the deposit if the potential buyer mistreats the car? If so, you'd better come to an agreement beforehand to avoid disputes later.

If the point is just to see if someone can front with a small sum of cash, then there is little point to that imo. Who couldn't come up with $500 to test drive an EvoVI if you knew you would receive all your money back once the drive is completed?

Sorry guys, I just don't see the point.