SAU Community

Going back to a S13 after having a R33

scottman

hey gives few of ya know i got myself a R33 about a Month ago

it was heaps fast to start with i loved it now i am over it i am worried if somethingg breaks i won't have money to fix her up

Users heaps or fuel and isn't that fast if need to spead like $2000 on her to get the power i want but i don't wanta spead that much

So i am selling her to get a mates 180sx 1991 S13 Black top 1994 motor

Reason i have come up with

i like look of 180sx it was the over car i was looking at b4 r33 but i went R33 cause it was bigger

180sx has most of the mods i want and is pretty Cheap $15500

Gt28rs turbo running 14psi 1 bar

dumps

pod

oil cooler

frontmount cooler

m sport body kit

new front lights

1994 motor black top pretty fresh from what i hear been in there b4 he got car

180sx is getting resprayed atm in a custom colour i like so will have fresh paint custom r34 blue with purple pearl

180sx cheaper on fuel??? i am hoping due to b a 4 cyc outa boost it should b cheap

I used to have a S13 silvia Non turbo sr i remember it was ok to drive

Brakes r shit

handling was shit

but i can fix that r33 front brakes and coilovers

I am guessing this 180sx will feel shit due to heaps of power shit brakes and pretty much same as my silvia

U think going bak to a 180sx will b a big down grade

my r33 has 140rwkw

I am happy about 180 but i know brakes and shit r crap in them

what r your thoughts on it

i like r33 but running costs r high and power is shit feels like a big car to drive

Btw i have a buyer for $17000 which is good cause i only payed $14800 for my r33 so i will make money on it hope to do same with 180sx

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw you talking about this on nissansilvia.com as well - your choice - you've got your reasons - some of those being the exact reason why I got the R33 - bigger, better brakes, better ride - however do agree with costs.. not cheap on the fuel bill - but damn fun..

Good luck with it all..

I've considered whether a 180sx would be better for me than an R33, but my reasons were due to it be a lighter car and easier to throw around.

However, I've spent far too much on the R33 to sell it and I'm sure if I had a 180sx I'd wish I owned at R33.

As long as you don't lose out on money, go for it. However, R33's are pretty damn reliable. The running costs shouldn't be much higher at all and since yours is basically stock it should be in good condition.

I'd say do it just for the fact the 180 has the stuff you want done to it and you're making money on the r33.

I don't think economy should be a factor though - power costs fuel it's simple physics so if it will chug, weather it's 4, 6, 8 or 12 it will still chug!

If you had a non turbo silvia then it won't be the same as the 180 because the turbo models got all the good stuff.

If it was a non turbo 180 then I'd be weary. Infact I'd budget for a full brake and suspension upgrade if it was.

But yeah going back to it it's your choice, you're the one driving. If it was up to me I'd be looking at it from a value proposition. Quite simply, you want to upgrade your stuff.. You can sell your car for more than you bought it for and buy another car that's cheaper in cost with the upgrades done already... And you'll still have money left over.

Sounds good to me?

I had a NA S13 before i bought my R33, i really liked my silvia but the 33 is a lot more comfortable to drive than the S13, plus i like the solid feel, quality & power delivery style of the skyline. i did consider buying a black-top SR20 180 when i bought my 33, but after testing both, i much prefered the skyline format (although im still a fan of the 180).

My suggestion is if your keen on the 180, then give it a shot :D

i considered and looked closely at lots of 180sx's after having an r33, after finding one i wanted (96 model type x) i had a drive and just didnt like the way it drove, and how it felt really old 80's style, and how it didnt feel as stiff as the r33 etc.

so i bought another r33

also 15500 isnt cheap for 91model dont expect to make money on it

true

I have been thinking about it i am going 180sx

I am over skyline cops r pissed at me atm if they see me they will pull me over

one more reason to sell

All 180sx r turbo in australia its a 1991 Red top turbo S13 with a replaced motor that was outa a 1994 180

brakes have need pads he said it is fine

Any Nissan coupe will get the same attention from the cops, no matter what its model. If you think a 180SX will garner you less attention from the boys in blue, you're in for a rude shock.

The brakes on the turbo cars should be better than the NA ones, but if you can do an upgrade its still worth it.

If you can keep it off boost it should be a bit more economical. Aside from the lower displacement, the car also weighs a bit less so you don't need to make as much power to commute.

I used to have a S13 silvia Non turbo sr i remember it was ok to drive

Brakes r shit  

handling was shit  

but i can fix that r33 front brakes and coilovers

Your English skills are crap...

Anyway, you can't use R33 coilovers in a 180/S13 to make it handle like a R33, it's not how suspension works.

I contemplated about selling my R32 for a 180SX, the main reason I stopped was that the 180 sounds like crap compared to the sound of an RB.. A 180 sounds like those fart cannon, milo tin exhaust Corollas... Plus a stock 180 doesn't look as good as a Skyline, even though you have a R33 whale it's still more aesthetically pleasing than a 180 (but that's subjective).

Plus a stock 180 doesn't look as good as a Skyline, even though you have a R33 whale it's still more aesthetically pleasing than a 180 (but that's subjective).

Very subjective.

The last time I had an R33 next to me while I was driving, all I could see was the front wheelarch to the nose. Seeing the corner of the front lights, I thought it was a Magna with rims.

And I'm not the only one to mistake R33s for Magnas when viewed in certain ways..

The 180SX is most definitely a sports coupe from every angle. It hasn't aged well from some perspectives (especially with the CA-style nosecone), but there's no mistaking its intent.

But, visually....whatever floats your boat. Judging by the number of lowered Magnas on rims with loud exhausts there are these days, I guess some people dig the slab sided Mitsubishi sedan.....

All 180sx r turbo in australia its a 1991 Red top turbo S13 with a replaced motor that was outa a 1994 180

180SX Type S came out in 1996 and was SR20DE non turbo.

So is it a redtop out of a '94' or a blacktop? The only reason I ask is that if it's a redtop then someone is telling you porky pies because all red top SR's were 91-93 and the black tops were from 94 through to the final Type X.

Anyway, you can't use R33 coilovers in a 180/S13 to make it handle like a R33, it's not how suspension works.

LOL

His english skills arent crap yours are in this case!

He meant use r33 front brakes and some coilovers for the handling aspect of things!

Not use r33 coilovers to make it handle like a Skyline, s13s handle better than r33s why would you want to go backwards lol R33 brakes are a common upgrade for s13s as well :D

If you cant afford to keep your skyline due to running costs it isnt going to be much different with a modified 180SX. You would be better off buying somehting more economical to run till you have the funds to keep a performance car. If you want power buy an old corolla and drop an sr20 in that if power is all your after.

Also the Blacktop started in late 93/94 not 100% sure. There are no real differences between these two motors in S13 guise. the later S14 and S15 blacktop motors were the ones with valve timing etc.

You also mentioned you get pulled up all the time in your skyline? I have had mine since december last year and have not been pulled up once maybe its where you drive or your driving habits if so it wont matter what car you drive.

Originally Posted by CerealKiller

LOL

His english skills arent crap yours are in this case!

He meant use r33 front brakes and some coilovers for the handling aspect of things!

Not use r33 coilovers to make it handle like a Skyline, s13s handle better than r33s why would you want to go backwards lol R33 brakes are a common upgrade for s13s as well

thats just what i meant thanks man lol

Well your parents may buy the car, but they're not going to pay for the day to day running costs. Maybe they're secretly teaching you something.

your a tool man i payed every cent of my Skyline with money i went out and worked for don't have the shits with me cause i got off my arse and got what i wanted at a age u coundn't

I hate tool that think my mummy and dady payed for my car I come for a POOR house my mum makes least money then me i help her out

My house is shit only nice thing around my area is my car so Piss off and go have a bitch to someone esle