SAU Community

Are 12's The New 13's?

MADGT4

I'm gonna make this short quick and simple!

Just a few years ago, 13 sec passes were considered quick for a street car....

Are 12 second passes now overtaking that? Is a 13 second pass now not good enough?

Just want to get peoples thoughts on this.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13's are quick for a street car. But we are getting faster stock cars, which raises the bar and makes people want to spend a few extra bucks to get into the next bracket to stand out.

A stock GTST for arguments sake runs a 14.5, which compared to a stock 5 litre VS holden 15-16?

So we have a better setup in the suspension department, a driveline thats tough as nails and an engine that responds to modification like no other.

Cheers

Sumo

Best thread this week!

It's gonna be like this for a while to come but eventually, 11's will be it. Speak to the old old OLD Castlereagh boys about street cars racing and tell them your daily driver runs a 13.9 ET and they're usually amazed. You need to remember that 6-pack EH Holdens running 15's were way cool once upon a time.

Add that to the list of 13 sec factory cars coming out that are relatively common on the street, (Falcodores etc) and the bar gets raised that extra little bit.

As far as Skylines are concerned, look at what 20 something people on this forum alone have done with their mostly stock 33's on radials @ WSID and other tracks. 12's are the norm now.

Adrian

Speaking about Skylines only and specifically WSID which i've been attending on a weekly basis since the day it opened.

When it first opened an R33 GTS-T with a std turbo doing a low 13sec pass was quite amazing. Then only a year or so ago a couple of people cracked a 12.9sec with a std turbo. Now their are people doing high 12's with std turbo's which I never thought i'd see.

With modified Skylines a low 12 or high 11sec pass was astonishing. Now fairly standard GTR's are doing low 12's and modified R32/R33 GTR's are doing low-mid 11's without breaking a sweat !

It seems as though these days if you aren't doing a 10 something in a GTR or an 11 something in a GTS-t you just aren't cutting it.

Hopefully i'm back out at WSID before the end of the year doing mid-12's ... which is my goal at this stage.

I think it depends on the car involved. I think a 12 sec street car is fast, although a 13 second street FWD is very fast as they dont have the ET, but the mph. my old MX6 did a 13.7 et, but a 112mph trap speed. My freinds very close to stock GTiR (fuel pump, wound up boost thats it) did a 12.2 et with a mph of 111 trap speed. he also had a 60 foot of 1.6, where mine was 2.5 seconds.

So yes I think alot more cars are running 12s but I think it depends on the drive of the car, RWD, FWD, AWD!

Rhys

I think 12s are definitely the new 13s. You can tell just by the way you personally feel now vs how you felt a few years ago. e.g. I don't consider a 13s car to be a genuinely fast car, whereas I definitely did when I first bought my R33 in 2001.

Yeah my goal is to cut a 12.4 at least in the next 6 months....

Then take it from there.

But there are alot of quicker factory cars coming out but like people have said back in 00' and 01' a 13 was quick, now its slow.....

My mate has a WRX wagon that does a 12.3 and that thing feels slow! I dunno what is going on these days!

I think it depends what circle you travel in.

I know a number of guys that are worrying about a cage.

A reasonably modded turbo car, but still street, is 11sec or quicker, & beleive me that's heaps cheaper & easier than an 15 sec. EH - & also much nicer to drive on the street.

Regards

Out of interest, my std turbo'd 33 GTS-t went 12.6 @ 107mph last sunday.

Damm, that's good. That mph is especially impressive for the std turbo as well.

Would you mind posting your splits (i.e 60', 330' etc) so I can do a comparison with mine? :)

I managed a 13.1 @ 103mph last Sunday with Std turbo which I was pretty happy with. I think i've still got a bit more improvement left in that time with the current mods once I improve my launches a bit more. I'm planning to go out again in the next couple of weeks and see if I can crack that illusive 12 on the Std turbo.

Damm, that's good. That mph is especially impressive for the std turbo as well.

Would you mind posting your splits (i.e 60', 330' etc) so I can do a comparison with mine? ;)

I managed a 13.1 @ 103mph last Sunday with Std turbo which I was pretty happy with. I think i've still got a bit more improvement left in that time with the current mods once I improve my launches a bit more. I'm planning to go out again in the next couple of weeks and see if I can crack that illusive 12 on the Std turbo.

What was your 60" times? 60 footers are a key to running a 12 with the standard turbo. I ran a 12.98 with a 2.02 60'. If you can get a sub 2.0, you should be home and hosed.

1.83 60' time. I think I could run 12.50 if I spent all day at it but I just can't see the point.

Slicks would be better again.

10's on the standard turbo with gas is my next focus. Lets see.

Adrian

I also believe that it's all down to the people you hang around with, and how quick their cars are. If you're riding in a 11second GTR all day, then of course a 13 second S13 is going to seem slow. But to the general populous who drive Corollas, Astras etc etc ... the 13 second S13 is still damn quick.

What was your 60" times?  60 footers are a key to running a 12 with the standard turbo.  I ran a 12.98 with a 2.02 60'.  If you can get a sub 2.0, you should be home and hosed.

I was doing consistant 1.9 60" time's on all three 13.1 runs that I did on the day.

What mph did you run?

Also, did you shift into 4th before the finish line? I found that I was always just about on the rev limit just before the line and had to shift up to 4th. Could it be possible that perhaps that extra gear change is costing that additional tenth of a second? In hindsight, I feel as though the car would have enough in it to run in 3rd to the line. I might give that a try when I go back in the next week or so...

In reality, I know that a sub 13 is nothing special to write home about where others are running 11's, 10's etc. Although I still think a 12 with the std turbo is a good achievement (and realistic goal) so I'm gonna keep trying till I get it. Then perhaps I'll upgrade the turbo and go for 11's instead :D

I was doing consistant 1.9 60" time's on all three 13.1 runs that I did on the day.

What mph did you run?

Also, did you shift into 4th before the finish line? I found that I was always just about on the rev limit just before the line and had to shift up to 4th. Could it be possible that perhaps that extra gear change is costing that additional tenth of a second? In hindsight, I feel as though the car would have enough in it to run in 3rd to the line. I might give that a try when I go back in the next week or so...

In reality, I know that a sub 13 is nothing special to write home about where others are running 11's, 10's etc. Although I still think a 12 with the std turbo is a good achievement (and realistic goal) so I'm gonna keep trying till I get it. Then perhaps I'll upgrade the turbo and go for 11's instead :D

+

I ran 107mph, so looks like you could do with a few more mph. I was definately in 4th, 3rd can't go to 170kph.

Try shifting into 3rd and then 4th a bit earlier. As much as hate having to quote Sydneykid, "Higher average power always beats higher peak power"

Adrian

When I got my car I always wanted to run a 12, not a 13.

My car is what I'd call a street car but I don't consider it quick. Just under 200rwkw with a nice power band and 1350kg I should crack into the high 12's with a decent launch.

I still don't really think that's that quick though... so yes I think 13 isn't cutting it (atleast for me).

Maybe it's fast and the furious influenced ... "I owe you a 10 second car" lol