SAU Community

What Economical Car Would You Buy

JaFF

Hi All,

I'm thinking about selling my R33 in favour of getting a smaller more fuel economical car. The running costs are getting a bit high for a daily driver.

I realise I'm going to be sacrificing a lot in terms of performance but I think i can handle that.

So, what small/sportyish hatch or sedan car would you suggest in the range below $20k but above $10k.

It has to be a 4 cylinder or have excellent fuel economy as a 6.

Prefer something with a balance of sporty and economy. I don't mind a bit of expense for fuel but the line is getting up around the $280 a fortnight. a bit more than I'd like to pay.

Any brand of car is welcome and everyone has their own opinions so no bagging others for their suggestions.

Cheers

James.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi All,

I'm thinking about selling my R33 in favour of getting a smaller more fuel economical car. The running costs are getting a bit high for a daily driver.

I realise I'm going to be sacrificing a lot in terms of performance but I think i can handle that.

So, what small/sportyish hatch or sedan car would you suggest in the range below $20k but above $10k.

It has to be a 4 cylinder or have excellent fuel economy as a 6.

Prefer something with a balance of sporty and economy. I don't mind a bit of expense for fuel but the line is getting up around the $280 a fortnight. a bit more than I'd like to pay.

Any brand of car is welcome and everyone has their own opinions so no bagging others for their suggestions.

Cheers

James.

How about a honds integra not sure on there fuel econ but its a 4

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/...rch_distance=25

I would perhaps look into a hyundai elantra (i think that is in your price range)

My old car was a lantra and was excellent in regards to fuel economy, it had lots of room (I could fit 4 other mates with boards to the beach) and it was an extremely reliable car

insurance was cheap as chips too

I am currently doing exactly the same as you... me and the misses have a v8 lexus, and an r33... its a bit much. I'm selling the r33 to get a turbo hatch... most probably a gt starlet.

Mate im doing the exact opposite! I bought a 91 Charade so i could save money for an R33. The charade is awesome on petrol, to work and back 10 times a week (come home for lunch), and a drive in town twice a week (20 min away) and it will cost $15-$20 a week max. I know your looking for a price range above 10k, but still they are pretty good.

Same here, Toyota 4's have a good reputation.

However I wouldnt sell the line I'd use it for weekends and make it go a bit quicker.

You'll appreciate the power after driving in a slow pus box. ;)

Edited by retrotec

id go a celica. those round headlight one's. reason being is that my missus has one and its so much better on fuel economy than the 33's. its sporty, fuel efficient and considerably fun to drive.

What about a Nissan NXR?

sr20de with targa top and looks good, i sold mine (pictured) for 6 grand with king springs, exhaust, stereo, tinted windows and rims. Great on petrol and mine drove like a gokart.

post-19204-1124960077.jpg

Heres a crazy idea,

Why not take the r33 back to stock?

Take off the huge exhaust, wind the boost back down.. and dont floor it everywhere! There you go, an economical car and you didnt have to spend a cent, and your not driving a shitbox.