SAU Community

R33 Gtst Whiteline & Bilstein Suspension

Sydneykid

Is it better to have a shock absorber with damper adjustment? These Beilsteins do not have damper adjustment, right? Adjustment of damper allows you to fine tune the response, but also allows subsequent adjustment to maintain desired rates as the shock absorber inevitably wears (From Whiteline's website).

I know the setup on offer is not "height adjustable", but there are approx 5 or 6 slots which can be used to set the initial ride height. How easy are these to change? Can the ride height be changed with the strut on the car, with the aid of spring-clamps? Obviously any change in ride height will require an alignment, but if i was to install this setup, i may want to play with the ride height a couple times until i am happy with it.

Haven't heard anything negative about this great group buy Gary has organised, just got the above questions to answer before i PM my order to you! :D

Edited by travb81

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it better to have a shock absorber with damper adjustment? These Beilsteins do not have damper adjustment, right? Adjustment of damper allows you to fine tune the response, but also allows subsequent adjustment to maintain desired rates as the shock absorber inevitably wears (From Whiteline's website).

I know the setup on offer is not "height adjustable", but there are approx 5 or 6 slots which can be used to set the initial ride height. How easy are these to change? Can the ride height be changed with the strut on the car, with the aid of spring-clamps? Obviously any change in ride height will require an alignment, but if i was to install this setup, i may want to play with the ride height a couple times until i am happy with it.

Haven't heard anything negative about this great group buy Gary has organised, just got the above questions to answer before i PM my order to you! ;)

The Group Buy Bilsteins have additional circlip grooves added so you can set the height you want before you fit them. There are 6 grooves 8 mm apart and I can tell you the height that you will get from each groove. Keep in mind that R32/33/34's handle best around 355 mm front and 345 mm rear (centre of wheel to guard). Get out your tape measure, work out what height you want and I will tell you what circlip grooves to use.

Adjustable shocks are only worthwhile if you know what you are doing with the adjustments. Most of the time shocks have adjustment to cover up for their unsophisticated valving. This means they only work in a small range of conditions and so they HAVE to have the adjustment. Bilsteins have very sophisticated valving and consequently have a large window that the operate well in. Simply put, they don't need adjusting. Plus I have selected the valving to suite the Group Buy kit.

Bilsteins are engineered for 40+ million full stroke cycles (around 100,000 ks) without any loss of valving control. When they do show signs of wear (eventually) you can easily have them seviced. Most people sell their car well before the Bilsteins need any work.

:D cheers :nyaanyaa:

Gary,

PM Sent on the 30th, money transferred same day...

can you please let me know what is happening with order?

I'm normally patient, but a bit excited about getting this new suspension, and looking forward to receiving it!

All items have been ordered on the 31st as the PM didn't arrive until 7.15 pm on the 30th, ie; too late for ordering that day. As advised in the PM, Bilstein takes 1-2 working days to machine the additional circlip grooves. So they should be ready tonight/ tomorrow morning. Delivery is via Toll priority and usually takes 1-2 working days to anywhere in Australia. I will PM you the con note number as soon as Jamex issues it that way you can track the delivery on the Toll web site.

Over 60 guys have their stuff from this Group Buy. With 100% success rate so far, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

:P cheers :D

SK, just been looking over the suspension buy and am thinking that I might look at doing it early next year (I know.. months away.. but heading to the US for a holiday)..

3 Questions..

1. Currently I have stock wheels + suspension, and can just.. get out of my driveway without scraping.. What is the suspension height of a stock car versus what you recommend.. 345mm I believe.. Would it be better to look for some 17" wheels before doing this..

2. Do you need to get the pineapple bush's replaced - or is there no need when you get new shocks + springs fitted?.. i'm a bit lost when it comes to suspension..

3. Would it be best to get a HICAS locking kit for my car if I chose to get the suspension buy and is it best to get everything e.g. $2200 worth all at once, or can you do shocks + springs and get stabilisers later?

appreciate any help, sorry if the questions seem stupid however i'm not 100% on suspension configuration + details..

SK, just been looking over the suspension buy and am thinking that I might look at doing it early next year (I know.. months away.. but heading to the US for a holiday)..

3 Questions..

1. Currently I have stock wheels + suspension, and can just.. get out of my driveway without scraping.. What is the suspension height of a stock car versus what you recommend.. 345mm I believe.. Would it be better to look for some 17" wheels before doing this..

2. Do you need to get the pineapple bush's replaced - or is there no need when you get new shocks + springs fitted?.. i'm a bit lost when it comes to suspension..

3. Would it be best to get a HICAS locking kit for my car if I chose to get the suspension buy and is it best to get everything e.g. $2200 worth all at once, or can you do shocks + springs and get stabilisers later?

appreciate any help, sorry if the questions seem stupid however i'm not 100% on suspension configuration + details..

Suggestions follow;

1. The Group Buy Bilsteins have additional circlip grooves added so you can set the height you want before you fit them. There are 6 grooves 8 mm apart and I can tell you the height that you will get from each groove.

Wheels (16", 17 " or 18" etc) make no difference to the height of the car as you choose a lower profile tyre as the rim size goes up. Result = same diameter, otherwise you will have speedo error.

2. The standard rear subframe bushes are very soft, silicone filled. They are soft when new and do wear over time until they finally leak. The rear subframe alignment kit supplements the standard bushes, stop the subframe from flopping around and at the same time give some adjustment of the rear squat. This allows for improvement in the rear traction.

3. HICAS locking bar is a good idea (try GTRGeoff). You can save yourself some money by doing the HICAS locking bar and the rear suspension at the same time. Because you will only have to have one wheel alignment, if you do them separately you will need 2 wheel alignments.

PM me if you require any further details

:) cheers :)

Hi SydneyKid,

I have still not had my bilstein shocks fitted that i got from you about 4-5 weeks ago. But it will be done very soon. Can you advise me on recommend settings? I will be using the stock car springs, 18" wheels with 40 profile tyres (these will be new, i still got stock rims and tyres atm). If you could recommend me settings for front and back that i can take with me for setup that would be awesome!

My recomendations are:

Front Camber = 1.00 negative

Front Caster = 7.00 positive (slightly more o nthe left to ofset the drift into the gutter)

Front Toe = 0.00

Rear Camber = 0.5 negative

Rear Toe = 2.00 mm in on each side

:thumbsup: cheers :P

All items have been ordered on the 31st as the PM didn't arrive until 7.15 pm on the 30th, ie; too late for ordering that day. As advised in the PM, Bilstein takes 1-2 working days to machine the additional circlip grooves. So they should be ready tonight/ tomorrow morning. Delivery is via Toll priority and usually takes 1-2 working days to anywhere in Australia. I will PM you the con note number as soon as Jamex issues it that way you can track the delivery on the Toll web site.

Over 60 guys have their stuff from this Group Buy. With 100% success rate so far, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

:) cheers :)

Can you please PM me the con-note for delivery via Toll?

Order processed Mon 31st July, +2 days to machine grooves, + 2 days for delivery = about due for delivery?

I'd like to book fitting and alignment.

Cheers Gary.

My recomendations are:

Front Camber = 1.00 negative

Front Caster = 7.00 positive (slightly more o nthe left to ofset the drift into the gutter)

Front Toe = 0.00

Rear Camber = 0.5 negative

Rear Toe = 2.00 mm in on each side

:) cheers :D

Thanks mate!

Also can you give recommend circlip settings for my car on 18" rims 40 profile tyres? I only want it lowered the smallest amount from stock (to start with) that the circlips will provide.

Edited by Xizor

Can you please PM me the con-note for delivery via Toll?

Order processed Mon 31st July, +2 days to machine grooves, + 2 days for delivery = about due for delivery?

I'd like to book fitting and alignment.

Cheers Gary.

PM Sent

:D cheers :(

Thanks mate!

Also can you give recommend circlip settings for my car on 18" rims 40 profile tyres? I only want it lowered the smallest amount from stock (to start with) that the circlips will provide.

The Bilsteins come with the circlips in the standard height grooves. The grooves are 8 mm apart, so if you want to lower it 8 mm then move the circlips down 1 groove. If you want 16 mm lower, then move them down 2 grooves. Using standard springs, I wouldn't go more than 24 mm, that's 3 grooves down.

:D cheers :(

The Bilsteins come with the circlips in the standard height grooves. The grooves are 8 mm apart, so if you want to lower it 8 mm then move the circlips down 1 groove. If you want 16 mm lower, then move them down 2 grooves. Using standard springs, I wouldn't go more than 24 mm, that's 3 grooves down.

:P cheers :P

SK, what is the ride height (front/rear) when the circlips are in the standard height grooves?

Edited by sloazr33