SAU Community

R33 Gtst Whiteline & Bilstein Suspension

Sydneykid

In addition to what Grepin said before re: rear adjustable sway bar, I was also sent part number KBR20-22 (Heavy Duty Sway Bar Mount) but it says it's for a WRX?? The only part that I can figure I use from this kit is the sway mounting saddles which are almost identical to the standard ones. The rest of the kit seems not to fit anywhere?

Bleck

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also I have been sent KLC26 (Subaru rr Link Kit h/duty alloy). This also says it's for Impreza + WRX etc. The main components of this kit I can't seem to figure how they fit on the R33. Similar problem to previous post.

Bleck

In addition to what Grepin said before re: rear adjustable sway bar, I was also sent part number KBR20-22 (Heavy Duty Sway Bar Mount) but it says it's for a WRX?? The only part that I can figure I use from this kit is the sway mounting saddles which are almost identical to the standard ones. The rest of the kit seems not to fit anywhere?

Bleck

Also I have been sent KLC26 (Subaru rr Link Kit h/duty alloy). This also says it's for Impreza + WRX etc. The main components of this kit I can't seem to figure how they fit on the R33. Similar problem to previous post.

Bleck

Hi, seems like you have received someone elses white pastic bag. They probably have your bump stop and dust cover kit. PM sent to sort it out.

:( cheers :(

hi SK, looking at getting front/rear sway bars and rear camber kit,

just wondering if you know of any reputable company in brisbane to fit them?

cheers

The stabiliser bars are a pretty easy DIY, most of the guys do it themselves. Any decent suspension shop can fit the camber kit. Your local Fulcrum are most likely your best bet, but be aware that they will try and push their products and rubbish everyone else. So they can be a pain to deal with first up, but their work is usually OK.

:D cheers :D

Bilstein Australia have recently managed to tag onto a small production run of R33GTST and R33GTS shock absorbers that was done for the Japanese Bilstein agent. They also managed to have the valving done to our specifications as per the previous Group Buy sales.

These shocks arrived via airfreight today. So there are currently several more sets of R33 Bilsteins available for anyone interested in the Group Buy kit.

:( cheers :)

With regards to the sway bars. I believe it should be sitting on the wheels when all done up. I did mine on the jack stands would this be an issue.

Also have people done the cradle bushes on stands etc or use a proper hoist. Once again meant to be done when sitting on the wheels.

Unlike some other cars, Skyline stabiliser bars and their links have full/free rotation, so it is not necessary to do them up with the car on its wheels.

The rear subframe doesn't carry any verticle loads, that is done by the springs. The cradle carries longitudinal and lateral loads. So once again, unlike some other cars, it is not necessary to do them up with the car on its wheels.

:) cheers :)

Hey mate, I want to do a bit of suspension work to my car but on a light budget, I've notice that my castor rod bushes on the front are a bit rooted & I can't lower my car from standard (nope not even a centimeter). The shocks are still pretty good at the moment (car's done only 45,000 kms mainly at low speed in cityscape Japan), so I'm thinking I should invest in some deacent bushes for my entire suspension (or the most important bits at least).

Would you be able to quote me with some costings for these parts?

Also I've heard that you can get bushes for castor adjustment, which is meant to be perfectly legal as opposed to adjustable castor rods, do Whiteline sell these too?

Hey mate, I want to do a bit of suspension work to my car but on a light budget, I've notice that my castor rod bushes on the front are a bit rooted & I can't lower my car from standard (nope not even a centimeter). The shocks are still pretty good at the moment (car's done only 45,000 kms mainly at low speed in cityscape Japan), so I'm thinking I should invest in some deacent bushes for my entire suspension (or the most important bits at least).

Would you be able to quote me with some costings for these parts?

Also I've heard that you can get bushes for castor adjustment, which is meant to be perfectly legal as opposed to adjustable castor rods, do Whiteline sell these too?

PM sent

;) cheers :mad:

• 2 weeks later...
i wanna get hold of the caster kit and rear camber kit, when sending the money to the supplied account, do i just put my username for the description and then send you a pm?

cheers

Hi Adam, best to send me a PM first to confirm the exact cost.

:D cheers D

Does the caster kit KCA331 improve steering feel? Because I want more feel in the steering. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Should l get the sterring rack bushes instead (from super pro)??? Or perhaps both?

Also does the subframe lock increase stress on the factory subframe bushes that get compressed?

I have fairly stiff springs and shocks atm (but not as stiff as say Tein HA), would the addition of anti-sway bars front and rear make it much stiffer.....because it's acceptable at the moment....much stiffer and it would be no good. I would like more roll resistance however.

Thanks...SK you're a champ.

Sorry about the questions I just like to know exactly what I'm getting into when I buy.

Edited by simpletool

Does the caster kit KCA331 improve steering feel? Because I want more feel in the steering. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Should l get the sterring rack bushes instead (from super pro)??? Or perhaps both?

Also does the subframe lock increase stress on the factory subframe bushes that get compressed?

I have fairly stiff springs and shocks atm (but not as stiff as say Tein HA), would the addition of anti-sway bars front and rear make it much stiffer.....because it's acceptable at the moment....much stiffer and it would be no good. I would like more roll resistance however.

Thanks...SK you're a champ.

Sorry about the questions I just like to know exactly what I'm getting into when I buy.

Suggestions to your questions follow;

1. Yes, more caster improves steering feel, as well as reducing the tendancy to wander at speed and improving the turn in. Note that the caster kit bushes not only improve static caster but the further improve the dynamic caster as they resist deformation under load.

2. No, the rear subframe alignment kit actually reduces the stress on the standard bushes. They absorb a hreat dea lof the loadings that would other have ot be absorbed by the standard rubber (silicone filled) bushes.

3. Stabiliser bars reduce the roll, that's their job. They do add a little to the bump stiffness, but more than 50% less than would be the case if the roll was reduced the same amount by using stiffer springs. A stabiliser bar connects to both wheels on the same axle. Which means for a given amount of roll 50% is on the outside wheel (in the corner) and 50% on the inside wheel. For a spring to stop the roll it only works on the outside wheel. In fact the higher spring rate pushing upwards on the inside wheel actually increases the roll.

Stabiliser bars are the best bang for buck suspension upgrade you can make.

Hope that answered your questions

:( cheers :(

Hey SK

I know nothing about suspension so I apologise in advance for stupid questions :D , to lower the 33GTST safely and retain a decent ride and good handling do I need everything on the price list or are some things optional?

Sorry I missed the question.

The answer is it depends on how much you want to lower it. Following is the camber correction required for various ride heights;

This is what is usually needed for each height increment, note that all measurements are centre of wheel to guard;

Standard (new) height is 380 mm front and 370 mm rear

360/350 mm needs only the standard rear camber adjusters

350/340 mm needs 1 front camber kit and 1 rear camber kit

340/330 mm needs I front camber kit and 2 rear camber kits

Using lowered springs and standard shocks is covered in this thread;

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=103158

Stabiliser bars are the best bang for buck suspension upgrade you can make for improved handling.

Skylines NEVER have enough caster, that's why they wander at speed, are reluctant to turn in and have poor steering feel. Hence the need for adjustable caster (radius rod) bushes.

The standard rear subframe bushes are very soft, silicone filled. They are soft when new and do wear over time until they finally leak. The rear subframe alignment kit supplements the standard bushes, stop the subframe from flopping around and at the same time give some adjustemtn of the rear squat. This allows for improvement in the rear traction.

In summary, I haven't included anything in the Group Buy that I don't think is necessary.

:nyaanyaa: cheers :laugh:

PS; the Group Buy is open until the Bilsteins run out, there is still stock at the moment.