SAU Community

My Local Touge And Grip Track

Roy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hard to explain but by matching or outdoing you opponent in drift ie. taking better line quiker than them or having them spin under pressure you would be considered the winner....not as clear cut as straight out racing or time trials but its something different its fun and has recently been recognized by cams...either way i think personal preference plays a big part....its clear when a poser trys to drift very quickly..

Christ we had AE86 Corolla Sprinters winning the Aus Rally champs back in the eighties so their pedigree is proven. Why carry on with this dorifto wank hachiroku BS? OK so the Levin was never offered here but plenty had the engines and whole cars imported.

Drift is just pulling burnout through a corner and linking to the next turn. I know that the rear of the car is always stepped out a little when pushing (simple physics for us engineers) so if it's corner speed and beating the other guy through the corner then drift is just a lair ass way of not posting a lap time and being measured properly, or do I have to make lots of smoke? Sounds like Summernats bogan BS. In door to door RACING there are a number of techniques to baulk and upset a drivers line, so why aren't the doriftors waking up to this yet to blow the following car off line?

I've rallied in a number of rwd cars, played F/Ford for a season, done some sports sedans and last year posted some reasonable times at the track in my GTS25t doing sprints. I like drags where the top fuellers/doorslammers are running and support almost all motorsport, but I cannot find any justification for drift being considered any type of motorsport, the same as a burnout comp is not motorsport.

And for the record, at the last DECA day where we had to setup and slide the cars either on the throttle or using the handbrake, linking corners with slides and braking while the car was still loose, none of the drift type cars performed. The top 6 were AWD except pos 5 which was a very well setup 350Z. So WRX's and GTR's were doing these things against the clock holding and linking long power slides and handbrake turns. The videos tell it all. Yes we all had fun but we were against the clock so there was an air of real competition.

There's nothing "Special" about drift, except those who lack the intelligence to understand it's not a real form of motorsport. Now they are "Special".

this thread should be retitled... "grumpy old men"

seriously tho, you should be flattered cos some kid asked you if you drift, they don't know anything about motorsport sure, but they like your car and think it is cool etc... not really the worst crime out there!

touge really refers to downhill racing so 'hillclimb' doesn't really cover it...

that said I don't drift or love watching drift but it takes a huge amount of skill... and if you don't agree go try to drift a mountain pass in Japan at 2 in the morning whilst staying in your lane!

there just words guys, there is a lot more to be concerned about than a few 'appropriated' terms from another culture... afterall if you drive a cult Japanese car you can choose to adopt as much or little of the culture as you wish...

seriously if it bothers you that some kids refer to it as 'grip' driving you need another hobby

the kanji for touge actualy consists of UP, DOWN and MOUNTAIN. So its not just a down hill thing.

And just because drift lacks the vital time element that most motorsports have doesnt mean it is not a motorsport. Its a competitive event involve vehicles with motors in them, ie a motorsport. But if u refuse to call it a motor sport then more power too you, just dont get on a high horse how circuit racing has more respect behind it because no one really gives a shit about that crap, its all EGO. We all enjoy cars to some degree so theirs no point looking down on others because the aspect of their cars taht they enjoy is different to your on views.

Methinks you've taken the Pyramid of speed a bit too literally

this thread should be retitled... "grumpy old men"

Hey...who is old. Man im in my twenties...that isnt old, is it :mellow:

seriously tho, you should be flattered cos some kid asked you if you drift, they don't know anything about motorsport sure, but they like your car and think it is cool etc... not really the worst crime out there!

Its a long way from being a crime...but ok ill get to my point in a second :P

touge really refers to downhill racing so 'hillclimb' doesn't really cover it...

LOL...fair call, but from the hill climbs i have seen they arent always up a hill...its just a general term for a what is essentially a closed section of road being used for a time trial, in fact it need not be a closed section of road...its varies greatly

seriously if it bothers you that some kids refer to it as 'grip' driving you need another hobby

It bothers me because what is becoming popuar car culture is drifting, and current trends dictate that its cool to drift and its cool to do it on the street. What you are referring to as my hobby has been aroung for years, its been cheap and accessible for years, free to spectators and good for families and welcoming of people all ages in different cars. It was around decades before i was born, and still is...i hope it remains the same so that when i am old i can watch my kids get their rocks off doing the same :)

And its flown under the radar of authorities. I havent heard too many instances of police defecting people as they left a Club Sprint etc, yet i hear stories of defects / inspections when leaving drift / drag events etc

Yet with drift i always hear the bogan talk when a fella decides to give his Falcon a punt so the so called "sport" isnt exactly embracing of all those that want to participate...its always the "cool" drifter that is tearing it up sideways down the street which is why we are becoming ever so popular with police.

So whilst i dotn take offence, i dotn like the what the scene (im apparantly a member of because i drive a Skyline) seems to becoming.

And...again im in my twenties damn it, im not quite Jack Lemon yet :)

I tend to agree with most of what yoe have said, with the exception of it beign a sport. To be a sport you need to be abel to measured agaisnt something. Fine if its another competitor, but to me there are just too many variables in ascertaining who the winner is.

just dont get on a high horse how circuit racing has more respect behind it because no one really gives a shit about that crap, its all EGO.

And thats why i love hill climbs, and circuit days as there isnt any ego. And i havent mentioned anything about lack of respect etc. Far be it for me to tell someone how to enjoy their cars.

Casual observation of the drift scene reveals typically they are the ones paying out the other makes of cars, paying out blokes who happen to spin a bit often etc....i copped a ribbing when i took my car out for a Sunday thrash at Calder where i quickly found out i left my ability at home :P

Sitting looking at my car in the pits i was amused by the comments my car got...i didnt care cause i was the one out there having fun, and truth be told i was kinda expecting it the vultures to come in and comment on how clueless i was ( of course i doubt they knew i was the owner)

Or is it perhaps its the spectators of these events that have the ego whilst the participants are cruisey????

Anyway, please dont take this as a piss from high ground onto others...its not. But i suppose its more disapointment that our scene can be diluted so easily...sure we may drive cars from markets all around the world, but we dont have to rename everything to bring it in line with what other call it :)

i don't even know who jack lemon is. you must be really old Troy.

Yeh, so old some nights out in town i forget who and where i am an need help findign the place im staying at...even then its possible i will walk off and get lost again :mellow:

I stand corrected on the meaning of touge and hillclimb!

he he and Roy I wasn't calling you old, I'm in my mid 20's too... I reckon you SOUND old grumbling about incorrect terms for a sport... well I'm here to tell you as much as I AGREE with you and Geoff, ignorance and stupidity are rife within all forms motorsport...

...afterall drifting is all about how you look and you can't then complain at its lack of depth or cred... it is what it is and you don't have to be apart of it if you don't want to

so basically what it comes back to is you don't like being thought of as a drifter cos you drive a tricked out 32... and I would say then your just as bad as the drifters, as you are really concerned about what other people think? but claim not to care?

not having a go at you but its kind of like my mum complaining about a commercial when she isn't in the target market... I'm like its not directed at you your not meant to understand it!

I think drift has come out of the fact that race cars just handle too damn good these days and the spectators who are just getting into motorsport love the smoke and sideways action... can you really blame them!

Shit maybe i am old then...cause that kinda makes sense :P

so basically what it comes back to is you don't like being thought of as a drifter cos you drive a tricked out 32... and I would say then your just as bad as the drifters, as you are really concerned about what other people think? but claim not to care?

Yeh i see your point, but i i dont want ppl to think that im the one ripping it up on the streets. I dont want police associating my car with "one of the industrial area" cars at 2am in the morning. Im not really caring from an aesthestics perspective. Im frustrated by the modified = driven at break neck speeds on the street, i dont want to be found guilty simply by association.

Or is that im sick and stuck in bed and started to read about drip racing :mellow:

yeah I totally hear you there... my car is a daily driver and in every possible confrontational situation on the road I am immediatly assumed as being 'a hoon'...

its the same in all walks of life tho... people are judged on their appearance whether they like it or not... what if you are a drop dead gorgeous girl who is trying to be taken seriously in the world of business and get respect for her intelligence etc but all men see is some tits and arse?

just because you are a young white male and have never really had any problems with being typecast or pidgeon holed... you now see what it must be like to be a young arabic guy growing up in Australia

I really should get back to work! really not having a go at you I just think you should understand these kids look up to you so try and educate them, don't just dismiss them... afterall they think you and your car are cool! be flattered not pissed off!

Well I think objective achieved Roy. You know I 'd have a spray and the Doriftos would go full on defensive, then attack, then claim they don't care anyway cos they are way too cool. They are just way too touchy when they have their cool thing attacked. I know I should feel bad but it's heaps of fun.

In reality, anyone who takes it off the streets gets my thumbsup. At the track we are always extremely helpful to those who are just starting out and want advice. Drift, like track is a learned technique so practice is needed, but the best drivers all agree, with practice you can go as far as you want. There is no such thing as a natural when you climb the pyramid. Personally drift doesn't cut my mustard, and as Roy say's it's too closely associated with illegal street activities. Until it is cleaned up with a clear message from the top levels of the sport that if you do these things we don't want you around I'll refuse to give it credibility.

What you said though is true about the spectators. So few have ever been on a track but they are all experts. Working for a certain V8SC team at Bathurst taught me to mildly despise the fans. What a pack of thickheaded turds. As if there is any correlation between a Falcon or Commodore and the track machines. Even the body shells are different but they can't be told. Likewise those into drift think their style of car in unsurpassable and everything else is ugly and that's ok, but tell them their car is dated and too small and suddenly your the one who has been insensitive and has an ego.

Well when some of the drifters appear at an established event and learn what really is behind circuit, maybe I'll consider competing in a drift event, but then, do I really want to have one of my 3 R33 Skylines bagged by this element of society.......

I never said it wasn't fun, hell how much fun did I have at DECA???

It's just not motorsport.

maybe in australia yes its not motorsport but in japan it is for sure.

Personally drift doesn't cut my mustard, and as Roy say's it's too closely associated with illegal street activities. Until it is cleaned up with a clear message from the top levels of the sport that if you do these things we don't want you around I'll refuse to give it credibility.

fact is that drifting is link with illegal street activities. just watch some of those option vids and see what they do everyweek at the mountains, they even closes of main roads and drift around them (kind of like the street course in the d1) Drift has that illegal feel to it, watch the drift bible the drift king says he started drifting on the street and perfected his skill from there.

also i add many of the d1 drifts go out and practisets there drifting on the street;

Drifting is not new; but in australia it is, so therefore we have to see that we will always have those people that watch drifting vids/initial d and think drifting is the best and cuz u own an ae86 u must drift it.

Meh,i just dont like it when people attack drifting and call it not a real motorsport; Like i said above watch some opition see how much passion and emotion the the d1 drivers have, and then go tell them what they are doing isnt a real motorsport... that should be interesting

Michael

I think the reason its hard to get drift off the streets is because thats where it came from in the first place and the purists will always get cultural currency by going against the mainstream and being more hardcore than anyone else...

Personally I think you gotta be nuts to drift on the street... anyone who has actually earnt the money for their car and wants to punt it round a corner sideways with gutters either side has more balls than me... but the line between balls and stupidity is very thin

The actual people invovlved in track sanctioned drift days are a great bunch. Their very helpfull and really tollerable of the other types of cars that are involved. Its the crowd that spectates and the keyboard drifters that give everyone else a bad name and its really a shame to be tainted because of a few peopel who lack common sense.

Personaly i cant wait to get back out on the track again both drift and circuit racing. They both involve a high level of skill and both can be hugely entertaining for myself and spectators :mellow:

well, different forms of motorsport, for different tastes i guess. (i'm not going to argue the definition of "motorsport").

I don't see why people get worked up about it. If you don't like drift, just don't watch it.

Why should you be worried about the perception of skyline drivers due to street drift? If your car is legal and you obey road rules you shouldn't have any trouble with police.

Are track people jealous because drift seems to be "the big thing" at the moment? because really who cares, I was interested in drift before it became popular in Australia. And speaking from a drivers perspective, nothing much has changed - except there are more events.

Just because I don't like V8 supercars doesn't mean I can't recognise that the sport requires a lot of skill, and I hope people don't have the perception of drift as "doing a burnout around a corner" which suggests it doesn't require skill!