SAU Community

Mines Ecu's

Zebbie

That has little to do with the "Mine's knock control strategy", such as it is, so much as it is typical for old Nissan Knock sensors to be non-functional. "Mine's may well just copy paste the normal ignition map onto the knock map (which is typical stupid 90s styleeez), or they might actually have a few degrees taken out. But if the knock sensor doesn't hear anything, the ECU doesn't do anything.

I have deliberately provoked knock on both an RB20 and a 25Neo and not seen the ECU do shit.

I'm not surprised given how old these ECU's are. My Haltech pro plug in can't even do knock control. Sure its listed in the spec sheet and when you go in the software you'll find it, but it's garbage. It wasn't until the Elite ECU's that the knock control actually worked as intended (provided you also had knock ears to calibrate/verify what you were seeing in the ECU data). 

• 9 months later...
On 18/8/2022 at 4:25 PM, GTSBoy said:

I thought I would come back to this. No-one with more than 0.5 functioning brain cells has ever thought it was a good idea to use a Mine's ECU in anything at any time. They are a fool's errand.

We have 100 octane fuel here in Adelaide (united, portrush rd) I believe it’s 98 & e85 blended. I remember using it profusely in my early turbo days. 

If someone had 100 ron fuel, would this make the mines ecus a possible choice?

I’ve always wondered, cheers

17 minutes ago, s213b said:

If someone had 100 ron fuel, would this make the mines ecus a possible choice?

I’ve always wondered, cheers

100 is hardly sufficiently better than 98 to make it worth considering, especially when it's only available at that one spot.

I just don't know why anyone would consider a fixed, unknown quantity tune when you can just put a Nistune into a Nissan ECU and make it do what you want it to do.

• Like 2

Yeah I agree, those pre-tuned ECUs from the 80s and 90s are a pretty dangerous thing, a bit like the flash tunes many modern cars allow. They assume everything in your 30 year old car is working perfectly and remove most of the safety margin that nissan built in to give you a couple of % more power.

Since the ECU didn't control boost they can't make a major difference like you can get in a flash tune for a modern turbo car, eg a diesel ute

I've got uprevs in both my N/A Titan and Fuga and can't feel any difference in the power delivered, and in both cases they are a bit safer because there are wide band o2 sensors from factory to do some adjustment if there are fuel delivery issues.

15 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

100 is hardly sufficiently better than 98 to make it worth considering, especially when it's only available at that one spot.

I just don't know why anyone would consider a fixed, unknown quantity tune when you can just put a Nistune into a Nissan ECU and make it do what you want it to do.

Well you can’t nistune every skyline ecu as we know. 

10 years ago, I had a mines ecu and a copy of everything it was tuned for, which matched my car perfectly, and easy access to 100ron fuel, and still people said don’t use it. Didn’t make sense to me. Still doesn’t. If you use the wrong fuel for your tune you’ll blow your motor, that’s always been a fact.

but yes correct, I wouldn’t chase one now, but if the circumstances were fitting I don’t see why they’re the paperweight everyone claims them to be. 

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Nobody cares about R33s.

And if they do, they can always use an R32 ECU for Nistune.

At this point why bother trying to buy an R32 ECU + Nistune board + Nistune license when that gets you most of the way to a Haltech E2500 or Nexus R3? I'm probably biased though, I decided I would rather put the energy into trying to do a true port of the factory tune to Haltech rather than mess with Nistune.

16 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

At this point why bother trying to buy an R32 ECU + Nistune board + Nistune license when that gets you most of the way to a Haltech E2500 or Nexus R3?

I hear you, but that wasn't the point of the post. The point was just to push R33 owners' buttons.