SAU Community

Optimax Extreme (100ron + 5% Ethanol)

Zahos

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If fuel companies were selling a product that in 12 months were found to seriously damage cars, I think business logic would dictate they wouldn't be selling the fuel anytime soon.

I think enough research has been done by their researchers to ensure they are not going to have a multibillion law suit on their hands -- i.e. they are not that stupid.

I don't need "facts" or 5 volumes of petroleum monthly on me to realise that multibillion dollar companies are more intelligent than a few keyboard warriors.

If fuel companies were selling a product that in 12 months were found to seriously damage cars, I think business logic would dictate they wouldn't be selling the fuel anytime soon.

I think enough research has been done by their researchers to ensure they are not going to have a multibillion law suit on their hands -- i.e. they are not that stupid.

I don't need "facts" or 5 volumes of petroleum monthly on me to realise that multibillion dollar companies are more intelligent than a few keyboard warriors.

They have their disclaimer on their web site telling people what cars should and shouldn't run the fuel.

So if you take your stock R3x Skyline in there and run it, they're not liable should you die in a horrible explosion because your fuel lines corroded and sprayed fuel all over your engine bay.

And if multibillion dollar companies are so intelligent as opposed to your average "keyboard warrior", why do sporty GMH sedans owners have to install aftermarket coolers to stop boiling their power steering fluid, even though GMH insists it's not necessary?

Or the original STi coupe that was brought in, that kept munching pistons when it was driven in the manner it was advertised at excelling at? Subaru didn't feel it necessary to retune the ECU for Australian conditions.

I can keep going, if you like.

If you think that companies are driven by anything other than profit and plausible deniability, I've got a private import Ford Pinto that you might be interested in as a daily driver.

Zahos,your quite an aggressive person arent you.Your lack of knowledge is coming through with each subsequent post,so stop now,please.

I and my friends have had cars running 100% alchohol since the mid 80's,it is a far superior fuel for performance cars,end of story.If you were to fill your car with 100 octane Optimax and get your Power FC tuned on a dyno,there is no question you will see a power gain.

You havent mentioned whether you actually have an aftermarket ECU,if you dont,I doubt you will see any benefits from this fuel.

The biggest advantage will be to those running high boost (1.5bar and over) with an aftermarket ECU,not stock cars with an exhaust and pod running 1 bar with standard ECU.

The benefits of Ethanol have been documented in the current issue of HPI magazine,so have the downside to those who dont do a retune,so calm down and listen to others,you might just learn something.

Please take this the right way,I just felt you were getting defensive over a product that is obviously not suited or of no benefit to YOUR car,but will be to others ,like me.

Cheers

Lately there have been many things that have made me more aggressive than usual, but I agree with some of you that I have been far too aggresive, especially considering this is a forum, so....

I apologise to all those I have offended.

My ECU is standard, and i have a SAFC (I mentioned that a few posts back)

I am not saying ethonal is good or bad, I'm just saying it gave me headaches.... thats it! I know that is used in other applications with great results, but these are applications designed or modified to be used with it. I in no way intend to modify my car to use ethanol blended fuel occasionally, so i have absolutely no use for it. I made all hese points clear in previous posts.

I guess i did open up a can of worms in that sense....

Anyhow I had a quick look at that thread and can see others have had great results with it. I'm glad, not peed off. I might be cranky, but I'm not stubborn.

hu? Its not a remapped ecu then. :P

i am using a half to half of bp98 and shell 100 car runs fine, sounds a we bit different at idle and pulls much better throught he rev range espesially at night. Next i will run a full tank and another ecu reset

and Cubes wtf its not a rmapped ecu, um i dont need to answer any more of that check out dyno results (search) :lol:

i am using a half to half of bp98 and shell 100 car runs fine, sounds a we bit different at idle and pulls much better throught he rev range espesially at night.  Next i will run a full tank and another ecu reset

and Cubes wtf its not a rmapped ecu, um i dont need to answer any more of that check out dyno results (search)  :lol:

EDIT: After searching, Ok, so you do have a remapped ecu. I mis-understood your post when you stated disconnecting the battery 'forgets' everything.

thats the beauty of a remapped ecu just pull battery lead off and leave, come back all is forgoten, i wll only try this with half tanks at first, utilmate 98 plus the 100 stuff.

If I have missunderstood your post and you think resetting the ecu is some how going to gain you performance you are mistaken. The stock ecu doesn't 'learn' or work like that. :P

AFR's, ignition timing will not change. At wot they are set in stone. :D

Edited by Cubes

Strong views there Pred, but you're entitled to them and I respect that. A couple of observations;

If hypothetically my car lunched itself for no apparent reason and every workshop I take it to says yes it's the ethanol, that still leaves me to contemplate oohhhhh...a starting legal fee of about $1m if I wanted to take on the oil company seriously, and if I could even find a firm to do it. Don't believe what happened in the movie 'The Castle'. The big companies know it, they risk manage it, and they do it every day. That's their business logic. Clearly they don't want to generate bad PR or knowingly release a product that is going to destroy engines. But they are not upstanding corporate individuals who diligently research a product for every application and will listen to you if you say that their product caused damage to your vehicle - even with proof. And evidence suggests they do f$ck up, but Dick Honan at Manildra won't lose a second of sleep if 20 or even 100 freshly rebuilt RB26s blow up in a two week period because they used ethanol.

Enough research? You've got to be kidding. Read Scathing's post...then lets consider the poor head design that caused Subaru to recall the RS Liberty and change to WRX heads, and let's not forget the Firestone tyre fiasco in the US with Ford, or Suzuki and the TL1000S. The oil companies will risk manage the amount of research they do, Nissan and Porsche know that and that's why they go for a total disclaimer as there is no way of knowing 100% what the effect will be.

'5 volumes of fuel on you', that must really itch after a while. Oh and the comment about keyboard warriors? I guess you are one of us now, so you must not be as intelligent as them either. Soooo....how can you profess to know how they think?

Just my 2c

PS Scathing LOL at the Pinto example.

Edited by GTR32

Hey I never pretended I was intelligent, or not a said keyboard warrior myself :D

Well anyhow, if proven wrong, I'm sure to be there with the other few thousand performance car owners with the US invention of the "class action". But a disclaimer, yes a disclaimer gets out of a lot of things.

I pontificate (:P) even bad batches of 98RON have slipped through now and then and have caused engine failure, and there hasn't been too much the owner can do to claim recourse without expensive scientific proof.

But, whilst there is the chance of ethanol doing damage to a car longterm I can agree, I think shortterm, the analysis has been done on probable damage vs potential cost savings with a lot of money spent already by the fuel companies "in all likelihood" to not be a problem to vehicles. People can accept that or not accept that as they wish, but I know it's not going to be a major concern to me (or a $1500 engine, pft). Usually I am a very sceptical person on most things.

I guess we all have to accept it anyhow, as fact is, in 2-3 years we will have little choice on the matter. When you have the government, and Australia's largest industries that help fund the government (through tax and other 'incentives'), the odds are kind of stacked against the population on this one.

Edited by predator2

EDIT: After searching, Ok, so you do have a remapped ecu. I mis-understood your post when you stated disconnecting the battery 'forgets' everything.

If I have missunderstood your post and you think resetting the ecu is some how going to gain you performance you are mistaken. The stock ecu doesn't 'learn' or work like that. :(

AFR's, ignition timing will not change. At wot they are set in stone. :(

hahah yeah sometimes my posts resemble crap on a blanket :lol:

Good thread thats wat this form is 4

All have you seen fight club (his job of seeing cars crashed and $$$ value of being suide

All people and business are dishonest to a certain degree and so are oil companies and car manufaceores (i am a s*&t speller)

i am using an octane booster just a little 500mil 4 5 tanks

and will keep an eye out 4 more threads

james

The thing I'd like to know is if this 5% Ethanol will be the future standard . If its the case I guess we'll need to tune performance engines to suit .

100 octane fuel sounds good but will it have the anti nock properties we want ? I am naturally suspicious as well because the oil companys love to charge more for big bling numbers . High octane fuels should be the future because performance emissions and consumption benefits are too good to pass up IMO .

Cheers A

Uh, Japanese fuel is 100-102 octane yes, but it is ALL petrol, not ethanol.

If you want to know how this will run, pick up HPI60, it has a write up of 98 full petrol vs 98 E10 on a PowerFC equipped Skyline. The E10 ran like crap until retune, after which they could pull massive timing without pinging. They also said that it shouldnt' be a problem in cars with factory ECU's as the factory map leaves enough room to compensate.

Dan.

i was listening to the BBC on short wave radio and apparently over in Brazil the minimum ethanol in there fuel is 10% and they have been running this for some time!

you didn't know that?

Over there i think all car engines are modified to run high amounts of ethanol. It does make sense seeing they live next to the world's biggest rain forrest and it is a clean fuel, per sae, and is renewable.

I think it's the norm over there to run 50/50 (trying to remember back to chemistry class, bloody while ago)

It doesn't damage your actual motor.

There's roumers its simply harder on your fuel system.

Running toluene would be worse.

But.. I have no idea. :)

Nonsense. Running Toluene is safer than Ethanol.

As long as your fuel system is adequate. ie. your injectors aren't maxing out, then a 10% blend of ethanol is going to have no adverse effects. You just need to run a fuel system cleaner through your tank every 3 months to help lubricate dry seals from the alcohol.