SAU Community

Where Do People Mount Their Boost Gauges On An R33

Hey guys, just go an apexi gauge from the states, and was wondering how most here mount their gauge?, im thinking of jst gettin a cup and mounting it behind the sterring wheel with the factory gauges, pics would help, jst need some ideas, the gredyy dual pillar mount sounds nice but too expensive for my liking

i got mine on the steering column.

i got pulled over once and defected for various things. the cop said if id had my gauge on the pillar he could of done me for that to.

im not sure if he was full of it or not but, food for thought

In victoria, a gauge anywhere above the dash line is defectable.

Not sure if it is relevent, but in my r32 my boost gauge is mounted below the leftmost edge of the instrument cluster. It looks pretty good there and with my aftermarket steering wheel you can see if perfectly (and its legal).

yeah i have mine in a din set up i made my self and it the best because the cops dont even relise i have them cos they are aways looking for gauges afove the dash

it not thebest photo but they are under my air con unit

post-9917-1132794320.jpg

Another option...

I've seen pics where the cigarette lighter on a R33 has been removed and the boost guage installed in it's place (obviously the console needed to be modified slightly to fit the guage).

It's probably not the best location from a visual perspective when driving, but it looked neat and it's legal. I liked it :D

No offence, but the laws aren't nearly as bad here, and most things go around here........im in new zealand.

I want to place it somewhere practical and neat....imdefinitely going for a gauge cup though.........

Another option...

I've seen pics where the cigarette lighter on a R33 has been removed and the boost guage installed in it's place (obviously the console needed to be modified slightly to fit the guage).

It's probably not the best location from a visual perspective when driving, but it looked neat and it's legal. I liked it :rolleyes:

I have my boost gauge where the cigarette lighter used to be. I had to get the Dremel out to widen the hole but it looks nice and flush.

I also have my turbo timer hidden in the Ash tray. once again the dremel came to the rescue.

Yup also have mine where lighter used to be..had to widen hole but it looks neat and the best thing i foudn was you could wire the gauge up to the wire(cant remember what colour now) that was in the lighter so when you turn your headlgihts on your gauge lights up =]

although bad side is cant see it for shit unless you look around gearknob when in 3rd gear, was quite annoyed at myself for not thinking about that before i put it there =[

I accidently wired the wrong wire up so as soon as I turn my car on the boost guage lights up. =)

Yeah it is in a awkward position, but really, are you constantly looking at the guage. I'd be worried if you were =) lol.

Another option...

It's probably not the best location from a visual perspective when driving, but it looked neat and it's legal. I liked it :P

Mine's there...

Also removed my ashtray, and made an alluminium plate to mount my ebc right in the centre of the hole that was left when I took my ashtray out.

Pics are a bit crap, were taken with my phone.

post-10239-1132823091.jpg

post-10239-1132823120.jpg

ok this has really left me blank so ill ask it anyway

whats the point of an aftermarket boost guage in all honesty?

do you watch what the guage is saying while you are driving?

does it say anything different to the stock guage in the r33 cluster?

how are you managing time to read the guage while driving if so, you should be looking at the road???

ok this has really left me blank so ill ask it anyway

whats the point of an aftermarket boost guage in all honesty?

To monitor boost more accurately.

does it say anything different to the stock guage in the r33 cluster?

Yep, it does. I can't for the life of me tell where 14psi is on it.

do you watch what the guage is saying while you are driving?

No. But on the dyno I do.

how are you managing time to read the guage while driving if so, you should be looking at the road???

Don't look at it on the road.