SAU Community

Car Loan

Flash89

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it from someone who knows...

At 18 i started spending money on cars. After 8 years, 9 cars (2 of which were show standard) and an estimated 70K down the drain, I finally grew up. Sold my last car - a R33 to pay off debt so I could get a house. 12 Months later at age 27 I drive a friggin charade and have got close to 100K in equity. I could sell my house and buy a 34 GTR. Of course which brings me to the next point. You cant live in a GTR. As you get older you start thinking more responsible.

So the moral of the story is be smart with your money and ull be able to afford a car people only dream of. But by the time you can afford it you probably wont want it. Or be young and have a great car thatll send u broke. Hope that helps but itll probly confuse the shit out of you.

Hey sorry guys i havnt been home for a long time. Thanks for the advice and all but i forgot to mension that i will be driving my dads car for a while then i will be driving the skyline. i was thinking of this so i could save a lil more cash on the mods. i get about 575 to 600 a week so what yous think about that??

Flash 89

I think you could probably drop the attitude. $575-$600 a week still isnt enough to have a car that you want to enter into 'shows' as you said. I dont want to bring a harsh reality to all this, but our cars cost alot of money to repay and maintain, especially if your a young tacker. I wish I had been 'enlightened' before i took a big ass loan out and bought my car, I had a NA S13 which was ok, payments were managable and nothing ever went wrong on it, I wish I had of kept that for a while longer before I got the R33

Everyone on heres trying to give a bit of advice because id say 95% of people were in a similar situation and are trying to help you make the same mistake. Before you have a car you think all you have to do is pay off the loan, so $600 a week is plenty, you didnt mention if this is before or after tax btw which makes a big difference, but then you start paying insurance, petrol, servicing, tyres, repairs, upgrades, etc..

I'd hate to rehash on what other people have said but at your age insurance on a 'decent' car, it'll be at least $3000 a year. I cant be bother writing anymore because it seems as though you didnt read any of the previous posts, so I doubt your going to read this one...

I am paying my loan off and along with petrol and other maintenance, its over $800 month, which is a good chunk of anyones pay (plus I get paid monthly). I also made sure I had a little kitty for problems like my evolved-today engine oil leak :P

The amount of GTR skylines I see moving around Perth with P plates on it just makes me shudder..... Always shooting up besides me and trying to race me and I'll be like "F**k off seriously :P "

Hey i have been reading em. my pay is after tax its just the bonuses that vary with my pay. i am not a hot head behide the wheel. i just love my skylines. The skyline will only be at the house for a while till i have done some work to it and i will only be using it for going to work and back and cruizes. i just got my mind dead set to get a skyline. the car might be too powerful for me but i have been learning in my brother's car which was V8 and i handled it pretty well.

• 1 month later...

hey all, been a while. just got my licence like a week ago. still havnt got the skyline. i figure that i am going to save up more like up to 10,000 (should have it by april) and i will be getting a 15,000 loan to get the car fixed up and ready to go. also going to do a defesive driving coarse. and yes so i have more of an idea how to control such a powerful car. i got my 5k now but still saving and right now i am just driving my mums ford.

PS my goal is set to have it featured at this years auto salon.

ok all i have to say for this is,

i am 19 not 20 till end of november. i love skylines have for a very long time but i have had 2 shitty gemini's and ive still got my little 90 nova...

ive got a skyline now but tis stock standard. i went and had a look at one at autoscene before i found mine and it was f88kn nasty... it made my dad's jaw drop. we didnt get it cause it was way to hot for someone and really almost anyone around my age bar people that appreciate cars. (it was thrashed also and would have cost to much to fix)

just a thought for sammie and flash... i ern not a large amount a fortnight... 1200 but i got what i wanted and have realised keep it stock untill you a- learn the car b- can afford to be paying double fuel price, fines and pretty much double for tyres etc...

i got a 15k loan to get my car but that covered insurance and stamp duty and the car... i also have other loans and stuff it all totals at the end of the month around the 1500 mark per month... thats a fair bit (but i do have alot of crap lol)

i have a clean driving history bar the typical speeding fines and my insurance is 1800... someone with low driving experience or even none really shouldnt have a fast car... especially one that is modded and an import... i know there are people out there that have it such as a few i nthe forum but they appreciate their car and dont get in to going to everyone on the road hey wanna drag... there are times and places for everything...

take peoples advice and just drive a bunky or ya parents car what ever... wait till you understand how cars work(drive) before you go getting something which has the potential to be very powerful if it isnt already...

i was like you when i wanted to buy a skyline... get one thats already done that way i dont have to do it... good idea initial money wise bad idea for everthing else. the cost to run it, fix it, service it, its endless really...

i agree with people when they say their cars are an addiction once you start you cant stop... first it starts with the car then the mags then the turbo or intercooler etc... its endless and you dont get alot back...

at the end of the day its your choice but seriously think long and hard hey. go buy a bunky until you are off your p's then concider something.

too much power + light car + hot blooded teen + mates egging on = DISASTER

my rant...

Edited by Disko_Tek