SAU Community

R33 Vs R34 Gt-r Pricing

I keep my eye out as I'd like another GT-r (had a 33 previously).

Whilst I can afford either, it's a hard pill to swallow when you see things like this forged rebuild R33 for 40k less than this nice R34.

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/454161-r33-gtr-forged-engine/?hl=%2Br33#entry7515564

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3339180

I've looked at a couple cheaper R34s, 45ish, and so many seem to have had a hit or have very minimal mods. That 34 I posted would need another 10k in parts or so to be how I'd like it as a street car :(

Are R34 values climbing?

Anyway, that's my rant.

Edited by ActionDan

R33's are definitely the best bang for buck. A 33R will be my next purchase, even though I am in the same boat as you. 34's are just too expensive, and as we all know you really need to modify Skylines heavily to get the thrills.

• Like 1

hey mate,

Thats my 33 GTR in your link. 3 years ago i went through the same thought pattern as you.

Loved the 34 gtr, took one for a drive and yep good. standard, with normal bolt ons, non Vspec $70k.

Decided to go have a look at the 33 GTR Vspec (that i bought), forged engine, plenty of mods, well kept, plenty of power, drove it and it felt like a different beast. $30K

Couldnt justify spending $40K more on a car i knew i would put more money into when the 33 had all the go i would ever need. Plus if anything went wrong, the price to fix was large

Dont regret buying it to this day and will be sad to see it go out the door when i find a buyer for it.

Edited by Adz2332
  • Like 1

Even looking at these 2.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Skyline-2001/SSE-AD-3339180/?Cr=11

Could likely get that for 60k after speaking to him, but it needs another 10 in mods, though it's an excellent colour and very mint.

Then there's something like this - http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Skyline-1999/SSE-AD-3334870/?Cr=14

Which you'd get for mid to low 50s and has basically all the work done - but it's white =\

Nice examples there. I have promised myself after going through the drama of building cars that the next one will be done. So on that basis I would go the 2nd choice. Having said that I have owned a white GTR. Boring.... Maybe neg hard and spend savings on a respray in Mel Jade or BB?

If i could do it again. But one with a blown motor for heaps cheaper and build myself ground up.

I would consider honestly buying a roller 34 and buying a nismo fine spec from Japan and drop that in.

I don't trust people.

I don't think R34 GTR prices are necessarily climbing, but they're not coming rocketing down either. But really the R33 has never been an overly popular shape - how often have you heard people say that the 34R was the thing of childhood dreams, in fact I think I have seen you say something similar in another thread. On the other hand how many people have said that the 33R was their childhood dream car, doubtful there'd be very many. There's no doubt a lot of people in your position that could afford either - that level of demand at a certain price point combined with the clear popularity lead that the 34 has over the 33 obviously keeps the price propped up.

Having work done is good as what you get back for the car isn't as much as you spend on it obviously. But having no knowledge or little about its history of modifications by who, where, when and anything regarding that can be a worry.

If it was me I'd focus more on making sure the chassis has no rust issues, no accidents and is absolutely immaculate for the price you pay for the r34's. Usually they are pretty good but some can have some hidden detail which can be shit to deal with down the track. Focusing on that first before optimum performance would be my main incentive then looking at performance next would be better. Obviously there is some compromise between the two as some stock motors could be on the way out, other areas of the car could be lacking maintenance also.

@JH32. I've always wanted a R34 GTR for a long time but I decided I would buy a R33 GTR now and purchase a 34 later down the track at some point as I couldn't justify spending all my money on the car all at once with nothing left. Having said that, I still love my 33 and enjoy the car but I don't think my satisfaction would rapidly change by just driving a 34 GTR.

Obviously the 34 being the last model before jumping to the 35 GTRs which become another level there is bound to be a significant price increase.

Eventually I'd like to experience both the 32 and 34 also at a point in time down the future but for now the 33 is perfect for what I want.

Having said that, If I had the chance to buy a fully built 33 that was perfect condition for say $40k I'd take it over a stock 34 for around $40k any day. The 34 may have a few extras and a different looking body compared to the 32 and 33 but those aren't big issues to me. More concerned about performance and maintenance.

I rang and spoke with my paint and panel guy about what it would cost to full respray (engine out etc) and it's not crazy, but it's a lot of work as to get the mates rates I'd have to do a lot of the work with him in terms of disassembly.

He's had cars in street machine so his paint and panel work is very good.

I've just accepted it Fatz. And if I need to paint one then so be it.

Though I've wondered.

Using the white one as an example, do you think it would turn people off to know if it had a full re-spray in Z Tune Gunmetal?

id see it dropping the value 9 times out of 10. as most people would be wary why it was painted, accident history, no longer original etc etc