SAU Community

Twin Plate Clutch

boodsGtr

Does anyone out there know the rules on having a twin plate or triple plate clutch for licencing etc? have to take my R32 over the pits and the clutch is super touchy, so every time you take off , unless you rev to 4000rpm and drop it , you stall.

My car was licensed with a twin plate no worries. Because of the noise they make though, the guy that drove mine sat still with the clutch engaged for a good 3 minutes, think he thought it was the thrust bearing on the way out or something....When he realised it wasn't that, he just drove off.

Oh yeah, turn your boost down. Way down. They like to thrash the pi$$ out of performance cars....I could hear my car and another R32 GTR having the tits thrashed off them all around welshpool..... :) Thankfully mine was running really rich and kept overfuelling, so not much fun to be had there haha.

Edited by randominsanity73

tell me about it randominsanity73...

with my car, its quiet under low revs, and loud when you give it a bit... so when the inspector took my car for a drive there was no noise until he got out of sight, then *everyone* there looked around as you could hear my car being hammered.

when he came back and then decided not to pass my car, i gave him an earful for thrashing my car...

with my car, its quiet under low revs, and loud when you give it a bit... so when the inspector took my car for a drive there was no noise until he got out of sight, then *everyone* there looked around as you could hear my car being hammered.

when he came back and then decided not to pass my car, i gave him an earful for thrashing my car...

this is why, whenever any of my cars have been to the pits, i get in the passenger seat, stops them thrashing it, and also means if your exhaust is loud it won't get pinged as they won't be able to flog it to hear it..

hopefully mine will be ok as my boost doesnt come in until about 5800 rpm so he wont be driving it that badly i hope. if he does and the boost comes on he will s**t his pants hopefully.....that'll learn him

Yeah you always gotta take down the km's before handing over the keys amd leave a note on the dash saying you did so to prevent them from thinking about thrashing it.

My bro has a heavy duty single plate perfoemance clutch in his GTiR at the moment and has snapped some 'fork' on the gearbox from it being too heavy....I don't know what type of cluctch i have but its got a good launch, no slipping and its a high clutch point as well which I like.

hopefully mine will be ok as my boost doesnt come in until about 5800 rpm so he wont be driving it that badly i hope. if he does and the boost comes on he will s**t his pants hopefully.....that'll learn him

My car would overfuel at 5000rpm. He drove it out of the licensing centre nice n slow, as soon as he pulled out onto orrong rd, i heard it retard, and i kept hearing it retard until he finally realised he couldn't thrash it

I'd take Denver's advice, jump in the car then give them the keys....if they think they can take off before you get in, they will. Hope it goes well :P

Ok I have a fairly unique car given it has a blueprinted s15 in it, for a r32 GTS-t and it ‘looks’ [doesn’t mean it is] fairly modified under the bonnet.

But anyway, I got someone to take it over the pits for me, who works in the industry on dealership plates. My mate just explained to them that it has an Ogura Double plate Brass button clutch which is noisy as f**k, and is really teavious [spelling]. Pretty much if you don’t engage the first plate [has like a 2mm catch zone] you wont engage the second plate fluidly well it will engage but you will bunny hop it or stall it.

The inspectors comment was. "Just as well it isn’t a triple plate".

This was the inspectors at Welshpool. My mate went with the inspector when he drove. Evently he stalled it nearly every time.

I believe it depends solely on the person you get on the day and how understanding they are.

Another thing we did, as I have powerfc and it isn’t tuned for the air conditioner, is that we kept the windows down, so the inspector wouldn’t turn the aircon on. As if he did the car would have idled really bad and evently stalled.

Edited by re2

after talking to a few mates ive learnt there are two rules....

Rule 1: dont go to Warwick pits.

Rule 2: dont go to Warwick pits.

I havent been there since my early days (quite regular visits):)

but they werent any good then either.

I had to have my car inspected 3 times, all by different inspectors, and EVERY single one of them stalled it.

I only have an uber-stiff single plate (nothing special, just a pain in the ass)

And of course, I sat with them every time and once the first inspector put his foot down hard I said "OI DO U MIND?" and he promptly slowed down. I think he shat himself too, 16psi with a 2535 gave him a kick in the panties :)

That really sux...

Did you not get to go in the car? When I took my car over at Welshpool, there was 1 inspector driving and I went with him...still gave it a little though...although not a thrashing.

Cheers

JB

after talking to a few mates ive learnt there are two rules....

Rule 1: dont go to Warwick pits.

Rule 2: dont go to Warwick pits.

I havent been there since my early days (quite regular visits);)

but they werent any good then either.

I have been to Warwick pits.

Inspector was really cool.

Got my permits and all, nice guy. Didnt seem to care i had a performance car and what I wanted permits for. Didnt thrash the car, nice ppl.

Long Queue though